Home Safes - DON'T.

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by goldpelican, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I always wondered what people in India do, considering that if you believe the stories every house and shack there has a load of gold inside somewhere.... Where on earth (or under it) do they hide it all?

2. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the reply atleast :p

3. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They don't hide it... they wear it...all the time.

That's why Pirates had ear rings and big finger rings and coins woven into their hair, they wore their wealth upon themselves. Pretty hard to steal that way...even when you're asleep.

4. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I'd be hesitant buying a safe that requires delivery and installation by a third party - I wouldn't trust the workers.

@boston re Boerboel, when time permits (ie enough time to raise a puppy and train it) that will be my next dog.

In the meantime Mr Dumb will have to do.

[​IMG]

Hopeless it is, probably have a better chance of defending the house with this:

[​IMG]

5. Emanance

Emanance Guest

I understand Boerboels have a little African wild dog in their breeding. Wild dogs are the top of the food chain over there, even known to take on lions in packs and win.

6. Bazil

Bazil Member Silver Stacker

Pretty sure pirates burry their treasure no?? :lol:

7. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Surely the obvious thing would to have somewhat concealed the safe... Hard to miss a big ass safe sitting in the corner.

Something like this would be a prudent measure if you still want a safe at home;
    [​IMG]

8. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

bunnings? ur not serious,aren't u? :/

9. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

Good points in GPs original post regarding whitepages, PO box, etc. I spoke with the bank a while ago and just giving people your first name only, plus bsb and acc # is enough. No need to give people your full name when you give them your account details when you sell on here or anywhere else.

10. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Gaddafi lost his gold, even they were sitting in their central bank.

the safe looks like a qaddafi brand :lol:

11. pegleg

pegleg Member

Decoy safe full of the 100mills coins getting flogged on ebay, with your real silver hidden in your undies draw.

12. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, decoys are a silly idea.

Dogs are only useful if they are at the house - what do you do when you're away for a week? Leave the dog in the backyard with a pile of kibble?

13. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

bags of kibble for trade in SS :) self pick up.

14. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

+1

Only thing decoys will do is piss off a thief so they will want to come back when you are home and teach you a lesson.

Dogs will stop a regular drug addict, but someone determined to cut a hole in your safe will just shoot the dog.

15. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think if you have something valuable in your house you have one of two choices if someone has the intention of taking it. You either get out as fast as possible or .........- no half measures and you need to have a plan as to exactly what you will do.

You can get a alarm system with PIR sensors, vibration sensors, battery backup, anti lift sensors that you put a SIM card in and it will send txt messages to 5 mobile phone numbers telling you which zone is in alarm.

95% of people think it nothing will ever happen to them! you need to think like it is defiantly going to happen to you and plan for it.

The mongrels who did that even if caught will get bugger all punishment and the person who lost their stuff will most likely not get it back or get reimbursement for it.

Very untidy situation, I really feel for them, you work hard to get ahead and some turd steals it.

16. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Might want to edit your post before I get approached by Qld police. Alarm info is good, personal views on how to treat an intruder not so.

17. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

And what the hell would you want one of those meathead dogs for? There are enough people roaming around with dogs that they dontrain who think a tough dog will impart some sense of toughness to their clearly depauperate sense of self confidence or social status.

"Not achieving in life what you thought you would as a child? Let's get a tough dog."

Sorry for derailing. Thanks for posting GP, feel bad fort the owner and hope his important documents are not missing.

18. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Bunnings had nothing suitable, no surprises there, but at least you can buy it and take it home rather than get it delivered by someone who might take notice of the make and model and the fact that you obviously have somethng worth protecting.

There was someone on the forum who was in the know about safes and I was going to trawl the threads looking for them, still interested as I have a lot more than just PMs to safeguard, but I am in no rush, we were going to get some new wardrobes and put it in there but now we aren't getting the wardrobes.

19. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

For less than $200 you can get a wireless alarm system, $5 SIM card, $15 credit for 365 days, no siren, if it is set off you get a txt message and the alarm panel in a loud voice says "ALARM ZONE ONE, ALARM ZONE ONE" Even if you have no PMs at least it gives you piece of mind. Seperate zones for each sensor, throw a vibration sensor on the back of the safe, PIR sensors in open areas, sensor on each door, pressure sensor under a mat.

Battery backup, no wires that can be cut, if you are friends with neighbours you ring and tell them the alarm is going off. If they say there is a van parked in your driveway or there is a fella walking out with your laptop or TV the you ring the police.

You can even ring your alarm panel and put it on speaker so you can have a one way conversation such as "get the hell out of my house I have rung the police and I am on my way home now, you have about 5 mins till I am home unless the police beat me there" which should have whoever has just made entry leave fairly quickly.

Time from activation to receiving a txt message is about 3-5 seconds so it is real time.

For less than $200 and $15 a year it is piece of mind, replace the batteries every 6 months and you are set. Oh and as long as you actually turn it on when you go out. If you do have a safe there is no way they are going to be able to find it and if they do they can not gain access or remove it.

For info I do not sell alarm systems or refer to anyone who does or anything like that.

20. Jim...

Jim... New Member

G
    I worked in the security (alarm response) industry many years ago. Generally all an alarm system does is best case inform you of the theft after the event.
    Single zone activations are 99 / 100 false alerts
    Multi zone activations that continue for minutes 9 /10 an animal or person that has forgotten alarm code employee etc
    In three years of working security responding to alarms caught only a hand full of criminals due to the alarm activation.
    One druggie crim that did get catch broke in to a chemist through the roof and couldn't find a way out of the building! He seemed quite happy to see me as I shut off the alarm siren that had been going for 30 minutes above his head (30 min was our promised response time). He just gave up and sat on the floor cried and told me about his shitty life it was quite bizarre. Alarm system was effective in that case.
    Do the maths
    From Sensor activation you have Approx 30sec to disarm system.
    Message sent to alarm monitoring company
    Monitoring company employee acknowledges alarm 30 sec - 1 minute
    Monitoring company contacts security dispatch 2 minutes
    Security dispatch contacts mobile patrol vehicle
    Mobile patrol vehicle then has to look up the clients address / plug in to GPS or street directory etc 2 minutes
    Mobile patrol vehicle then drives to address 1- 30 minutes.
    Basically you find out you have been robbed about an hour after the event