sterling silver

Discussion in 'Silver' started by kavephish, Sep 23, 2013.

1. kavephish

kavephish New Member

Hello all. Short term lurker and recently decided to become a stacker as part of my "prepping" strategy. I have been looking around for bullion and came across two 1000gr sterling silver bars. They are Canadian Dominion Day bars from 1971. (not overly important as I am not a collector). Anyway, the dealer wants $50 CAD a piece for them. (I recently paid $25 CAD an oz troy for .999 as a comparison) . Are sterling bars worth buying, or should I stay away from them? Thanks

Kave

2. libertadiac

libertadiac Member Silver Stacker

1 kg for $50?? Sounds very suspect, but if really sterling bargain of the year.

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nothing wrong with sterling bars, but if you are asking the question then there is a good chance that the person buying them off you in the future will also ask themselves that.

Providing they are priced decently then the "silver is Silver" crowd won't care. The collectors may or may not be interested in them as a talking point but generally small time stackers have to look at how much space they have in their safe and stacking 7.5% of non precious metals might be too much for them.

I wouldn't have thought that being sterling would attract much of a premium, quite a few of the Franklin Mint collectable bars were sterling and I don't think they are very popular. Maybe the 'Dominion Day' is something that would push the prices up in Canada but I don't think anyone else would be interested.

Having said that, you never can tell with the bar crowd, they seem to collect very odd things.

4. kavephish

kavephish New Member

sorry...I should have indicated "1000 grains"...not grams as it may have appeared

5. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Personally I'd go for .999 every time simply for the fact that the majority of people buy this kind, pretty much the 'standard' for bars.

Just think of when it comes time to sell, would you be able to sell it quick to the general buyer over a more familiar .999 style? Also, refiners prefer .999 for the simple fact that it's pure, no messing around with refining it.

Research the brand on eBay and see if it's a collectors bar, might be worth the extra cost to flip it

6. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Shade over 2 oz each. Marginally worthwhile compared to spot. I'd buy them for collectability.

7. libertadiac

libertadiac Member Silver Stacker

Then what everyone else said. With current low spot you will probably do better on 999 bars/rounds

8. kavephish

kavephish New Member

thanks for the responses gang. I was able to find only one equivalent on EBAY, a 1974, and the asking price was $77. Ill stick to .999 in the future though.

Happy stacking

9. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If TSHTF with some type of disaster ( natural or otherwise ) ever silver and gold will be useless

When the floods hit here and the phone / power was down Cash was king. If it gets even worse than that cash will be useless, food water, fuel guns and ammo will be the currency of the day.

10. mdbruhn

mdbruhn New Member

Nah, cigarettes, Ganja and (Bitcoin for the Naive ones :p)

11. Court Jester

good luck getting food or ammo or fuel with bit coin when there is no power or internet or working phones

12. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

if your stacking for shtf then yeah, you want to have the most recognizable bullion.
    is canadian currency paper or plastic like ours? if paper then in a flood cash will not be king,
    it will be mushy paper.

13. Court Jester

canadian notes are plastic like ours.

14. gazzahere

gazzahere Member Silver Stacker

"If TSHTF with some type of disaster ( natural or otherwise ) ever silver and gold will be useless
    When the floods hit here and the phone / power was down Cash was king. If it gets even worse than that cash will be useless, food water, fuel guns and ammo will be the currency of the day."

morning,

that is not correct.

in survival times gold and silver has a very strong place ----------- especially when cash is useless or limited value.

gold and silver comes into their prime in two places -------- first, naturally, when a currency collapses or is confiscated - a regular occurrence --------- but secondly and very importantly - it fits very well in between two of the times you mentioned

1."When the floods hit here and the phone / power was down Cash was king. "

Gold and silver fit between these two.

2. ".....even worse than that cash will be useless, food water, fuel guns and ammo will be the currency of the day.""

1. is normal times.

2. is rare.

Between is often.

That is EXACTLY why PM's throughout history have been important. ----------- the in between times when you have to hide, run like hell, buy you way somewhere, buy protection etc. etc. when local currency is useless. Times of trouble, but not cannibalistic.

PM's come into their own then ------------------------------- look at history.

have a great day

gazza

15. Court Jester

I hae looked at RECENT history and in any of the RECENT natural disasters PM would have been about as useful as tits on a bull. e.g. hurracain katrina, floods here, the hurricane in NYC, the bushfires in melbourne, the tsunami in thailand the tsunami in japan and the list goes on. In any one of these situtations PM's would have been 100% completely useless if you were trying t feed or prtect your family.

PM 's may eventually buy you something but during and in the immediate aftermath of a disarster you might as well be holding lumps of dirt for all the good gold or silver will do you. The average joe for starters does not consider god or silver money any more and when they them selves are trying to survive and protect their family a few lumps of metal wont mean jack compared to a jerry can of fuel or a tank of fres water.

16. gazzahere

gazzahere Member Silver Stacker

Morning court jester

Could you please do me a favour and actually read my post carefully.

Gazza

17. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Substitute Village Idiot for Court Jester and you realise you're being suckered down to his level. Ignore him and hopefully he'll go away.

18. Court Jester

probably not going to happen, just like your prediction of $30 by the years end

19. Court Jester

morning,

and I read it and my understanding is that you think in the midst of a disaster gold / silver will be a bartering method for critical supplies. I am saying that wont be the case and has not been the case recently.

It will only be after the fact and when civilization is rebuilt that it may be worth something. Or if you are fleeing nazi germany ( or insert another country) and want to take your wealth with you inbto the new world.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

What do you suggest? Sideways for many more years? :lol: