Gold Price Manipulation ?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by JulieW, Sep 2, 2013.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've been watching the gold price lately and I've never noticed so may vertical drops - $20-30 at a time and sometimes a little more.
    It reminded me of that game where you have a mallet and the heads appear on a board and you bang them back down.
    Until eventually you're exhausted and there's more and more heads appearing.

If the manipulators are responsible then they must be working shifts to cover this.

2. theiain1

theiain1 Member

3. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

I guess manipulation isn't always manipulation, just profit games, rather. As soon as it reaches a price "high enough and good enough", the big holders sell a bunch of gold, then as soon as it's "cheap enough", they buy up...

This roller-coaster game is making the stacker community nervous... understandable.

I'm curious to see whether this climb can hold, because the bearish forces are quite strong now.

It will either drop way below or, new, stronger bullish forces will be required for a prolonged climb...

I'm very curious about what the Fed will do with that tapering issue. They promised tapering "if the US economy improves". I wonder if that means significant "real improvements" or, if they will engineer better figures.

4. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

What's the difference between manipulation and profit games?
    Both inflict others a purchasing power LOSS (less ounces when buying, less dollars when selling).
    It says enough that in recent years central banks bought every year as much gold as an entire average Comex total position (150,000 * 100 ounces / about 450 tonnes).
    And unbelievable, some people consider that even good news.
    They feel sad with their dollar purchasing power losses due to central banks, so buy gold as a hedge against it.
    They feel' happy when central banks buys alot gold, driving up price, inflicting them less gold purchasing power.
    Without those central bank purchases during 2011-2013, golds price trend over these years would have been a total sissy compared to other pm's.
    Just think away the purchase of 1400 tonnes.
    While over the period 1997-2010, central banks sold 5671 tonnes, with their sales only starting to drop later 2008 when the crisis begun.

1997 -326 tonnes $331
    1998 -363 tonnes $294
    1999 -477 tonnes $279
    2000 -479 tonnes $279
    2001 -520 tonnes $271
    2002 -547 tonnes $310
    2003 -620 tonnes $363
    2004 -479 tonnes $410
    2005 -663 tonnes $445
    2006 -370 tonnes $603
    2007 -484 tonnes $695
    2008 -236 tonnes $872
    2009 -30 tonnes $972
    2010 -77 tonnes $1224
    2011 +455 tonnes $1572
    2012 +534.6 tonnes $1669
    2013 +400 tonnes (a recent forecast) $1470

16 years manipulation, so I had to haha when seeing that question "Gold Price Manipulation ?".

It's just programs managing positions on various markets, dump X positions upon an Y price increase.
    And earlier, the programs took X positions upon an Y price decrease.

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

If any manipulation is taking place over the years, it's been mostly to move the spot higher rather than lower I believe.

6. adze67

adze67 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Soooooo...it's been rising all those years they were selling...
    And now that they're buying (BIG) it's dropped???
    Move along...nothing to see here :lol:

7. menotcrimex

menotcrimex Member Silver Stacker

I stopped reading at ( if ) :lol:

8. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

That's what the sales tonnes and price figures say.
    And for the obvious reason.
    Do you think central banks like to give speculators against their fiatcurrencies more ounces gold for the fiat?
    Do you think central banks like to give speculators against their fiatcurrencies more fiat for their gold?
    Of course not.
    And that's why they buy and sell with the speculators.
    A speculator tries to buy low and sell high.
    The central banks buys and sells with them, making that low higher (less ounces), and that high lower (less fiat).
    Those that move along blindfolded, end up as worse as decades fiat holding. That's not a :lol: but a :(

9. jparrie

jparrie Member

How many time swill I read about "Gold price manipulation"? Never any actual demonstration of how exactly the price is "manipulated". Getting sick of it.

10. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

To answer your question - You only read about it half the time!
    Apparently price rises don't count, as they serve to vindicate the permabull rhetoric. :D
    Manipulation only occurs when one's investment philosophy appears to be wrong.

11. menotcrimex

menotcrimex Member Silver Stacker

There is NO such thing as gold manipulation!

GATA make up all the stories just to sell T shirts

The usd is going to last forever and gold is not a threat.

There is no money to be won manipulating prices up or down.

The world is flat not round and you can trust bankers and politicians.

12. jparrie

jparrie Member

Aha, this would explain why I read the term "smack down" so often then. How come nobody ever seems to mention bonds? Now that market is openly manipulated every day. Not such an emotive topic I guess?

13. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You should see number of manipulation threads over at www.BondStackers.com.

14. Simba

Simba Member

China and America... if these to are not manipulating the gold price to the downside using the paper markets they are stupid and are missing out on a great opportunity.

If I were either of these two I would be

15. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

I believe there is manipulation but to what degree I can never be sure. I too have read all the articles about this subject, including all the GATA literature and Harvey Organ et al.......
    but in truth, a lot of what they write I really don't understand such as movements through the metal exchanges and the real extent of the alleged short positions.....
    If we really believed that the market was completely manipulated we would not be in precious metals if we are true to our convictions. I have been convinced by others that to accept the manipulation but to understand that it is only ever short term, the long term movement cannot be stopped. The truth is that silver and gold will not save the world, they will never replace currency although they may become a part of it once more and they will rise in price once more when the time is right.

16. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Before there was clandestine manipulation of the gold price there was open manipulation of the gold price. It was called the London Gold Pool. The manipulation of precious metals prices is nothing new, except that if they did so openly these days, recognition of the act itself would undermine the value of their fiat currencies even further, demanding even greater manipulative measures.

Just like weights and measures, value has an international standard and it is gold.

Imagine having variable standards for a Metre and a Kilogram, its ludicrous to even think it. Just so with value. The measure is gold.

The best they can do is labour in favour of the relative value of their fiat currency and that's what they do. They have been doing it since gold was $20/ozt, since it was $35/ozt and since the dollar peg to gold was removed and the Bretton Woods monetary system was scrapped.

When haven't they been manipulating the value of their fiat currencies?