US Silver Eagles or Canada Maple

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Hellrider1, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Hellrider1

Hellrider1 New Member

Which would be better coins to stack given a choice? Thinking about getting a roll.

2. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

3. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

I would choose the lowest unit price or if fiat allows buy a tube of each.
    ASE tube is 20
    Maple tube is 25
    The Maple is shinier but the Eagle is in my opinion nicer.
    If you are unlucky the Maple may show cloudy spots known as milk spots which are difficult to remove without marking the surface.
    Both are "cheap" bullion coins and will sell at market price but as an investment you just need to know the weight.
    Not much said about the purity but Maples are 9999 pure silver not 999 as regular coins & rounds

4. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you're from Australia, would advise you to stack koalas or kooks.

5. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

If you're in Canada or the US, it's a toss of the coin... CSMs far more frequently have milk spots, mint damage and transit damage, but they're less costly. ASEs cost a bit more, but they usually have far less damage and milk spotting. So -- you take your choice. Both are well recognized and accepted, so liquidity is about the same. If you sell them, ASEs fetch a slightly higher sale price, so the higher ingoing ASE cost is offset. My LCS pays $1 over spot for BU ASEs.

If you're in Australia, I'm not sure if they're the best buy for your dollar. The shipping has to raise ASE/CSM prices to an unpleasant degree. With the shipping charges added into ASE/CSM prices, I have to wonder if Kooks or Koalas might not be a better value.

6. suckerpunch

suckerpunch New Member

7. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Get Eagles, not CML because in the long term, you'd probably find more people around the world who'd rather buy or trade for Eagles than CML's..

8. Iluvnumbers

Iluvnumbers Member

but dont forget that the maples have a stop loss set at a face value of CD $5, just sayin.

9. Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy New Member

Between the 2 given choices I would go with eagles unless you want even more coins with the queen on them. Just my opinion though both are silver can't go wrong with either.

10. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Milk Spots make the Maple worse.. also the picture is so incredibly basic you'll end up being sick of the site of then.

The walking half eagle design is an absolute classic.. so much so it works great one a 1oz coin also.. so although they don't change annually -- its a nice coin.

Consider PM stuff if the price is similar but those capsules take up A LOT of extra space which will eventually become an issue- that combined with the uncompetitive premiums have made me completely stop purchasing PM product.

1for1

11. suckerpunch

suckerpunch New Member

Boring Canadians. Go with Americans.

12. suckerpunch

suckerpunch New Member

Canada makes dodgy products and people. When in doubt then bet on USA.

13. mmissinglink

As an American who has Canadian friends, I can tell you there are at least as many dodgy Americans as there are dodgy Canadians. :)

14. Silver Pauper

Silver Pauper Member

Just my opinion...

I built my initial stack on silver Maples because it was the best value for money in a denominated legal tender coin. Also splurged and bought a tube of ASE's just to have some in my collection.

At this point, I have liquidated most of my Maples, just sick of seeing them. My core stack has become ASE's, a beautiful coin without the queen and always top quality. I just do not tire of looking at the ASE, so much detail and near perfection for a mass produced bullion coin.

Also have Libertads and Perth Mint, was very disappointed with the quality of the Libertads, but everything from Perth Mint has been on par with the ASE's or maybe even a bit higher quality.

I have never had a silver Maple milk spot, so that would not be a reason for me not to buy them if I liked them. I just can't stand the sight of them anymore.

Stacking ASE's and 1kg bars for me.

15. Hellrider1

Hellrider1 New Member

I love Canadian girls. Maybe suckerpunch has just been burned by someone.

Was just looking to add some international to my collection which is limited.
    I'm tired of kooks as have enough of them.

16. faithjenner

faithjenner New Member

Canadian maple, for me. But take not that it has been eliminated in money circulation. Producing a money is no joke. In fact, coins are expensively made of metals. No wonder why Canadian penny have been eliminated in money circulation. The cost of copper is up and with it the cost of minting a penny. At this time, it cost more than two cents to mint a single penny in the U.S. Earlier this year, the Obama administration suggested finding cheaper materials to make pennies and nickels.

17. victoryocum

victoryocum New Member

Both silver Eagles and Canadian Maple Leaf are popular investment-grade bullion coins. I'd suggest you buy from your government mint, and most preferably directly from it. This will reduce the chances of you landing up with a counterfeit purchase.

18. Stevo

Stevo Member

I prefer Eagles to Maples, but that is a personal choice. Both are 1 oz silver and well known bullion coins, so getting rid of them shouldn't be a problem when the time comes. I can only recommend that others buy whatever coin they prefer, or whatever is the cheapest for them to buy.

19. mmissinglink

The US Mint does not sell the bullion Silver Eagles to anyone except huge distributors and very large dealers. Only the uncirculated and proof Silver Eagles can be purchased direct from the US Mint by ordinary businesses and the public.

I don't know about the RCM policy on buying bu CML's.

20. preeti

preeti New Member

Investment that will guarantee you profit, investing in silver metal is a good choice. They are easy to purchase and easy to sell.