Selling water is a better business than selling petrol!

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by TreasureHunter, Sep 3, 2013.

1. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

Hi,

It's a great idea to produce and sell bottled water. A better business than selling petrol or gasoline.

Water bottling investments aren't high, while petroleum/gasoline equipment is expensive and knowledge is more complex, hard to obtain...
    Price is around 30 % of gasoline's price/liter...
    Get a good natural spring and marketing your product will be far easier. It's "cleaner and healthier" than tap water.

Many companies are producing bottled water, literally tap water sold as "mineral water" or "clear water".

And because water is getting scarce... this could be a promising business in the future! :D

Water is generally free to obtain, a little filtering and verification is required, the bottling process needs some investments and then away you go: it's a product that almost sells itself :D

Here's a more complex water production facility:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMMqvkmC7mk
    (that definitely isn't "just tap water")

2. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

A high barrier to entry is that there are well established players who already sell a high volume of water in a (pardon the pun) saturated market. Many of the brands sold here in Australia are Coca-Cola Amatil brands, they can push a lot more product through wholesalers than a new entry player can.

But you're right. I looked into the price per gigalitre Coca Cola pays for its water in Australia, it is tiny compared to the price their products retail for.

Anti-Alcohol campainers often complain bottled water can be found that is more expensive than cheap wine, and say that is a problem with the price of alcohol. Well no, that's a problem of the retail price of bottled water!

3. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Bottled water is proof that people are dumb enough to believe corporate marketing.

It's a ridiculous and expensive solution to a non-existent problem.

4. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's an anti-fluoride option. :p

Seriously, what's a "non-existent problem". I'm not following.

5. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Don't forget costs for labour, Australia-wide distribution, advertising and a hundred other hidden costs that all add up and eat away at the profitability.

After seeing a homeless man urinate on a public water fountain, I'm more than happy to pay for some store brand chilled water. Good source of BPA too :) It's the ones that pay a good bit more for branded water I wonder about

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdvJOF-2mm0[/youtube]

6. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Exactly

Water is not "scarse" and will never be 70% of the earth is covered in the stuff ( and salt water can be made drinkable )

7. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I know where theres a hardly used desalination plant contact www.gov.au for details :lol:

8. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes I do too(Tugan).

but in saying that the Dam here on the GC got down to like 8% in the last drought and people were screaming at the gov to do something. The desal plant is a good back up to have even if it is expensive.

9. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My doctor advises me not to drink Sydney tap water due to very high rates of parasitic infections that she is seeing. She also has a list of bottled waters that she has had tested that have unacceptibly high bacteria rates. She is seeing a dramatic increase in Asian style parasitic infections due to the use of bio-soil (processed human waste) not being washed properly from salad vegetables. She doesn't even want me brushing my teeth in sydney tap water. We drink steam distilled water (Nobles) without hydrofluorosilicic acid added.

10. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

11. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

12. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

Well living where I do all I drink is bottled water. However, here the price is acceptable.... when I have it deivered to my house a crate of 1litre bottles works out to about 15cents AUD a piece.

I do use the tap water in my kettle and to brush my teeth though and havent died yet.