I have done reseearch on this and decided pandas are the way to go

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by eyeball, Aug 23, 2013.

1. eyeball

eyeball New Member

I did some study and after getting burned to the tune of loosing 50% of my investment I have decided not to invest in bullion a anymore.

It is totally depends on the spot price and the spot price is manipulated by the Feds and paper guys.

I understand that numis and Pandas can go down in price but they do have some collector value. I was always read "Buy the most silver and gold you can at the cheapest price"

Sucker I was! No More .. My few Pandas I had did not drop more than 10%

Just my two cents

2. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Very smart thinking--75% of my stash is numi and pandas--and weathered this drop quite well :D

3. dcau1

dcau1 New Member

I tend to feel similarly. Over the last couple of months all I've bought is semi-numi stuff, loading up on sheets of pandas, a few ATB 5oz pucks, Somali elephants and most recently pre-ordering new Kooks and Lunar Horses, which I think will benefit from both a rise in metal prices and numismatic value over time. I have my eagles, maples and philharmonics monster boxes from last year as a base so I'm in no hurry at all to buy any more of those.

4. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Yeah, I'm more fond of (semi) numis too. It's just better felling to have something that is rarer.:) I could have much more ozs of silver today, but I rather buy some some stuff which is rarer (and more beautiful).

I've sold some coins on feeBay. For 1 I get really misery amount of cash, whether most of the rest were sold a little less/more than purchase price. If I wait for increase of silver price I would probably get more...

For selling I will buy more (semi)numis, but backbone of my stack are mostly numis.

5. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

if you are starting your stack i would not recommend it; if you are comfortable with your stack then defintely numis or even other types of investments alltogether

6. Unasf

Unasf New Member

Pandas and Bitcoins! I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Bitcoins will outperform Pandas in the next 3 years.

I will revisit this post after 3 years to receive some egg in the face, or serve some humble pie :p

7. upandaway

upandaway Member

Couldn't agree more Eyeball and came to the same conclusion a couple of years ago myself. I have some bars that have done nothing and all my pandas and other semi-numismatics have never lost me a penny. I am up in everything of that nature. I would say though that there are plenty of other semi numismatic coins that do well too. It's still good to have a good look across the mints and compare coins.

8. clubman

clubman Member

Agree, semi-numi is the way to go, just 10% or so over pure bullion bar, however, they have collectable value, and the value seldom decrease over years. over 95% of my personal stack are semi-numi or numi.

9. eyeball

eyeball New Member

Which do you guys think my gain more value slabbed pandas or semi Numis like Perth or Somali elephants?

I kind of think slabbed but the semi numi market is getting huge

10. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Slabbed pandas, hands down. Perth is dead. 2 billion Chinese is a market that can't be beat!

11. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

the better ones would be Pd Panda Y100 (better of both worlds)

those are lovely, the numis value is not a big deal, but the metal value have appreciated a lot.

12. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

looks like I missed something :eek:

13. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Sorry 1.4 billion now--2 billion projected 10-15 years --don't plan on selling overnight!

14. C.H.

C.H. Active Member Silver Stacker

Yeah and every single one of them is going to buy a silver Panda.
    Chinese Mints are going to increase the mintage to 1 billion.
    And then they all going to sell them at once, like they always do, like a herd trying to make a killing on the next stupid thing.

15. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Then don't buy any. Fairly simple no? :rolleyes:

16. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

I'm ordering you to buy panda!
    [​IMG]

17. Panda1991

Panda1991 New Member

I am desperately trying to convert 100% of my stack to panda's they are the best coins to go with there is zero doubt in my mind

18. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

I thought you were being sarcastic..

Id go bullion over pandas 99 times out of 100.

At least buy the current years at smaller premiums over spot.

Graded coins are likely the biggest bubble to come from numismatics.. maybe antique coins will go well.. EG: Chinese silver antique coins.. modern bullion graded.. why waste the plastic?

19. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In regards to graded coins being in a bubble, I doubt it. The size of the graded market is still very small compared to the ungraded numismatic market. The auctions that I follow, Stack, Hosane, Champion, all show that graded coins are far more popular with buyers, and achieve higher results.

100% disagree that it is a waste of plastic ... graded coins make it far easier for investors and collectors to purchase coins, especially when seeing the coin in person before purchase may not always be possible. They also protect the coins from handling and environmental damage.

20. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

handling and environmental damage - Like toning? Its a hard argument as my background is antique coins where the whole purpose is to preserve there age and beauty.. so modern coins/ bullion are very different.

Have you seen the way the most expensive coins in the world are kept? loose. Handled with gloves! If you are worried about milk spots which ruin the premiums I think the whole market for Pandas should be under consideration.. after all it is just bullion (like the Philly or Maple or Silver Fern).

Agree with your guys logic about Chinese Coins being a good investment.. just think you should buy antique Chinese coins if you are numi.. otherwise just stack silver if you are all about silver.

slabs and grades.. its so subjective.. straight away you are limiting the potential buyers market buy paying extra to slab as like me many people dislike slabbed coins due to space etc.. i remember how badly the graded collectors cards market went after 95..

In Australia, much like England - we feel the US overgrades on their grading system - much of the demand for graded coins is within America .

When spot silver is low.. buy silver

1for1