America The Beautiful 5oz Coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by pinkmanwhite, Aug 19, 2013.

1. pinkmanwhite

pinkmanwhite Member

Fellow Stackers,

Anyone here collect/invest with the 5oz America the Beautiful coins?
    [​IMG]

They do look quite nice, but 5 oz is an unusual size for a coin (to me anyways).

Just wondering people's take on this particular coin.

2. Sully

Sully Member

I collect them, since the start of the series in 2010. The "P" marked collector's version. 18 coins to date, with #19 (fort McHenry) coming out end of this month.
    5 oz is not unusual a size for coins. In fact, it is perfectly suited to this series as the landscapes and monuments of each design really come to life.
    It is quite a commitment, the series will total 56 coins, with the final issue in 2021.
    With the very limited mintages of the "P" uncirculated bullion versions (in the case of the 2012 coins - extremely limited - minting was halted suddenly and without warning), this series is not just spectacular to look at but a solid investment too.

3. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They're really nice to look at, but collecting the whole series is a daunting task. Not to mention it's hard to display all the coins after finishing the collection!

I believe it's a solid buy for investors/stackers in the US, but they don't seem to get much love from elsewhere.

As for 5oz coins, it's actually a nice size as I have the 2011 Fiji takus which apparently has a limited mintage. ;)

4. Sully

Sully Member

Yes, i agree, as i said it's a commitment. I wouldn't call it daunting though. There is an end to the series after all.
    For me, i have the occasional kookaburra when a particular design stands out. This is a series that has already run for over 20 years, and will probably continue for evermore. I don't intend to try and complete this collection, much less catch up to date.
    Likewise, the America the Beautiful series can appeal in different ways too. For those who might not want the whole series, there might be a particular state that appeals for personal reasons. Or a particular monument or national park. For example, the final coin for 2013 will be Mount Rushmore, which has more international appeal than, say, the White mountain coin above.
    It's a flexible series you can dip in and out of, or fall in love with them and get the whole lot.

5. pinkmanwhite

pinkmanwhite Member

Interesting insight! I have just noticed them around, but didn't really delve much into them as they don't seem super popular in Australia.

How many different designs do they do each year?

6. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

I have recently started to collect the standard bullion version of these big rounds. These can be had for only a few dollars an ounce over spot, got some recently from Provident, believe they were $2.49 over. The "P" versions that Sully discusses above can be purchased directly from the mint, come packaged with COA I believe and have a different finish. The ones I collect may never take off in value but I like them and they cost about what other generic bullion rounds sell for. So far, they release 5 different rounds each year.

7. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

I started collecting these and managed to get the first two years. I also bought a set in a nice wooden box from Apmex but they charged me a hefty price for shipping and then our friendly Tax people took their pound of flesh. My European supplier stopped stocking the series and because of the high minimum order value from Apmex I regretfully stopped collecting. Once silver recovers in price I will be dumping these coins.

8. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I am collecting the 5 oz "P" mintmark series and I love the designs and the size.

This will be a magnificent set in the end! (I believe a good investment as well as they are gaining popularity in the US it seems).

9. C.H.

C.H. Active Member Silver Stacker

I believe the true potential is in normal version of it. As for may never take off - check the prices for '12 series or even '10 ones. I still hit my head against the wall for not buying '12 when they were available.
    Yes they're not popular Down Under, but I collect them anyway even if I'll have to export them at the end of the day.

Collecting them all is daunting as they release 5 coins per year, especially if you buy 10 coin tubes.

10. mmissinglink

The good news for all of us today about these 5 oz limited edition coins is that the US Mint has decided to not raise the price and they will remain at $154.95.

Compared to other 5 oz limited mintage coins, it's a bargain.

[​IMG]

There appears to be only a few of these remaining with free shipping....for $249.00....it's a good buy at this time.

11. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

I bought Yellowstone back in 2011 as a souvenir piece as I went to Yellowstone Nat Park that year. I doubt they will ever be popular in Australia or outside America. But they are competitively priced to other low premium bullion rounds so I think they are a reasonably attractive investment if you arent buying bars.

12. GS13

GS13 New Member

I just began collecting this series because I like the size & designs of the coins, and it is possible to catch up and put together a complete set. I'm awaiting the arrival of 2 2012 bullion version coins purchased from a reputable online dealer, 2 P minted 2010 versions purchased at online auction, and 2 P minted 2013 purchased directly from the mint. I'm looking forward to seeing any quality differences between the 3 sources, but I've pretty much committed myself to repurchasing the 2012s in the collector version.

13. Mirrorman

Mirrorman Member

Just started stacking so no, but they sure look nice.

I like the idea of a particular State or National Park to collect, as suggested by another member, if / when I did look to collect these.

Don't know if any dealers here sell them though.

14. bird1dog

bird1dog New Member

I am interested in purchasing this coin, but is anyone selling it in Australia?

15. octapotamus

octapotamus Member Silver Stacker

Bullion Bourse sell them, at very reasonable prices too. Look under Silver Coins\Large Coins. They have a few.

I'm hanging out for the Mount Rushmore release. Gonna be a classic, in my humble opinion.

16. Sully

Sully Member

Yes, I was looking forward to mount Rushmore too.
    I was expecting the classic view, from a distance.
    The close-up view of it during it's construction wasn't what i was expecting.... but it has grown on me, i like it.

[​IMG]
    Source:

17. mmissinglink

I like the design...I think it's very clever and unique perspective. I am collecting the series so I will be getting this when it's released.

I found this video highlighting the series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MUbvTR_zHw

18. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

19. picturefun

picturefun Member

2012 series price appreciation is big, because the issuing price was much lower ($200 or so) but NOT for 2010 coins. The issuing price for 2010 P 5oz ATB coins were $280! Most of sales on Ebay are losing money.

http://www.silvercoinstoday.com/201...-5-oz-silver-uncirculated-coin-prices/104075/

20. mmissinglink

In my browser (I'm using Firefox), the coin images do not show up. I can see the moving tags at the bottom, but no coins display at all.