help for a newbie

Discussion in 'Silver' started by JLentz, Aug 19, 2013.

1. JLentz

JLentz New Member

hello all... i got the fever..
    so far have purchased two philharmonics and a boycouts coin.. but this is being done off ebay

what are some better options for someone whos not looking to neccessarily purchase tubes of twenty, yet?

thanks, and i look forward to coming to this forum often!

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Try your local coin shop (LCS) or look through the Buy, Sell & Swap section on here for US sellers. One may even be local so you can save on postage. You could also try Reddit and Craigslist too.

Shop around and keep an eye out for deals. Do your research before making any big buys. Maybe look into buying junk silver too as it's a popular way to buy silver in the US.

Fakes are ubiquitous on eBay so it may be prudent for a newbie to stay away from buying their silver there until they have a better idea and 'feel' for the coins/bars etc. Some of the fakes are quite impressive and hard to distinguish from the genuine article.

3. Mjduzane

Mjduzane New Member

Like House said, try your LCS. Sometimes they have really great deals. For instance there is a LCS down the road from me that sells ASE's for $25, which is cheaper than what you can find on ebay right now, and the junk silver there is cheaper than anything you can find online because the owner doesn't charge a premium. So if i were you i'd check around in your city because you might find some good deals

4. trozau

trozau Member

Try Gainesville Coins or Apmex. :)

5. JLentz

JLentz New Member

thanks for the tips

6. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

Hello and welcome :)

7. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Welcome. there's lots of sellers hyping silver / gold so do research. I have found that, depending on what I am after, eBay can be an invaluable source. If you are looking for large bullion purchases, check this out: http://www.goldprice.com/

Personally, APMEX is no good for me because they charge tax in the state I am in. Also, their shipping charges have not been good to new customers.

LCS's here in my town are quite expensive so that rules them out.

It really depends what you are after as to where to shop. All the big dealers have different prices on everything...compare and shop around.

If you are looking for blobs (non-denom bullion bars), look for a dealer that offers less than 99 cents over spot on silver AND free shipping.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

8. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! :D

eBay is quite expensive. Pretty much overcrowded, so the bids will usually go very high.
    It's also full of fakes.

I'd advise you to pick a reliable bullion dealer and buy from there.

The more you buy at one time, the cheaper it will be for you.

Tubes of 20 are great, but consider Maple Leaves, they come in tubes of 25!

9. randrace

randrace New Member

I am fairly new too and have bought from my local shop, EBay, Apmex, Modern Coin Mart, and Amagi Metals.

I find EBay risky, but it can be a cheaper way to buy from Apmex for smaller orders. The best prices I've found for smaller orders is Amagi. I just bought 3 Libertads, and for standard shipping (which I always use, I'm in no hurry) is $2.20. I don't know how they can ship for so cheap, but I'm not complaining!

10. Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy New Member

Hello. check out silvertowne.com sometimes they have items with free shipping which is great for a smaller purchase. Provident is also a great place to look around. I do the majority of my purchasing through online dealers because the closest LCS to my house is about a 150 mile round trip. I have luck on ebay sometimes.

11. Powerpress74

Powerpress74 New Member

I buy at a coin shop because his prices are fair, and I prefer cash transactions for buying and selling to avoid the tax man. Ebay is waaaaay overpriced and not always dependable. I like to pay for my metal and go home with it all in one transaction.