8 More Cities on the Verge of Bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by House, Jul 24, 2013.

1. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Figures and full article here

[​IMG]

2. Agnostic

Agnostic Active Member Silver Stacker

The living wage increase is classic behaviour, driving away employers in their droves.

In a similar way, some unions in Australia give me the impression they would prefer businesses to fail rather than withdraw their wage claims...

3. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Stay Classy San Diego

I still say Atlanta will go next....and it's got nothing to do with the city's debt or balance of payments.... but everything to do with the people that live there.

4. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Oh shit!

5. col0016

col0016 Active Member

I work at Woolworths and I saw a union proposal to have the full wage start being paid at 18 (it's currently 20), they were looking for signatures but I couldn't bring myself to sign it. 18 year olds currently get about $14 an hour and 20 year olds get $20, while I feel sorry for the 18 year olds, I can see that a 50% increase in their wages won't do them any favours as overall hours will get cut or they'll just use under 18s instead.

Everybody wants a piece of the pie, but you have to try and stop yourself only looking at the small picture (your paycheck).

6. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Now when they are training the U18 do they get any reimbursement for wages? Woolworths have a reputation for short term workers.Centerlink has lucrative schemes for young employees..Sometimes up to 80% of actual wage.

Now the old saying goes if you are old enough to vote, drink and fight for your country you are old enough to get full pay.. Same should apply to Woolworth's workers!

At least here in Australia you get more than Wal mart Adult workers in the USA...There adult workers get $12 per hr.

Now in China.....I don't know what retail workers get, maybe they just get an oz silver a week. :)

Regards Errol 43

7. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Did any city (including Detroit) actually go bankrupt and thus cease to exist as an organisation/entity, stopped spending and with its resources being returned to those they failed to pay back?
    If not, then it's not a bankruptcy in real (economical) terms, and the next question then is, what does it matter?

8. BigSteve

BigSteve New Member Silver Stacker

I think the correct term is insolvent.

It's ironic that many banks are not being allowed to 'go bankrupt' (especially considering the origin of that word) when they are the very organisations that should be.

9. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Doesn't really matter much. Other than it can't pay the pensions of its city workers or the health insurance of its reitirees. More job losses, raised taxes, even more penury... The stuff that doesn't matter :/

10. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Fractional reserve banks are actually by definition permanently insolvent; and governments and their parasites have always pushed/forced/manipulated banks to become fractional reserve, as to get their fingers on depositors money. And governments and their parasites themselves are just a same story, only that they gave themselves the legal monopoly to violence, so that they can force people unpunished. And so we got the modern situation on the world scale: governments, banks, institutionals, whatever residing on that violence monopoly, all being bankrupt/insolvent in economical terms, just not in legal terms. End to end reason: protected by violence.

11. Tacrezod

Tacrezod Member

The difference is, voting, drinking and fighting for your country doesn't require any skills or experience.

12. col0016

col0016 Active Member

I'm not sure what you mean by short term... over the yeasrs the vast majority of people I've worked with have gotten the job young and then stayed until they complete school/uni. It's interesting that you mentioned the 80% figure, because I believe people only get paid at 80% for the first 3 months.

I know it's bullshit, a lot of people move out of home and have to start supporting themselves at 18, which would obviously be very hard on $530 before tax for full time work.
    Again, I don't think it's "fair" however I think now is not a good time for it, they've already essentially put a freeze on hiring (not sure if official or not, but my store hasn't had anyone new in months), the economy looks shit and Masters has been a big loss (down $159 million last year), not to mention last year they posted their first profit drop in like 15 years and it will probably go down again because of the price wars and Masters.

So yeah, last year the company did end up with a $1.8 billion dollar profit last year (ending in 2012 that is), however since they have 190,000 employees all it would take is an across the board pay rise of $7 an hour to completely wipe this out. I'm not sure what percent of workers are 18/19 but I'd hazard a guess it would be enough to hurt, and just like in DC the workers it was meant to help would probably suffer by having their hours cut and overall wages go down even i they get paid more per hour..

Disclaimer: I don't work in management, I don't think it's fair that 18 year olds get paid so much less than 20 year olds and I am over 20. However I've worked for Woolworths for almost 5 years (highschool and now uni) and am very greatful for the convenient hours and relatively good pay for very low skilled work. I believe everything I wrote above is pretty accurate.

13. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

When an individual person declares bankruptcy they don't cease to exist.
    They have their debts wiped, lose most assets but keep some basics
    Then they can continue on with life - earning an income and spending money

14. Gary007

Gary007 New Member

Some ppl do really well once bankruptcy comes knocking and is a life long hobby for some.

15. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Couldn't agree more.

I worked on and off about 3 years during high school and TAFE for Woolworths and they pay well enough for what the work really is.

16. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Anyone notice all of the named cities are located in states that swing Democrat at the Presidential elections ('Blue States')?

17. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Someone told me that in Oz if you're bankrupt you forfeit your passport and can't travel. Is this true?

18. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well here's some information published by 'Insolvency & Trustee Service Australia'
    https://www.itsa.gov.au/debtors/bankruptcy/bankruptcy-overview/overseas-travel

"You may have a passport; however, you must hand it to your trustee if directed to do so."

Australian Passport Act (2005) doesn't explicitly mention bankruptcy as an issue for preventing an otherwise eligible citizen from owning a passport.

Nor does it make provision for this ITSA to cancel or invalidate a passport. Most likely ITSA will have to apply to a court for a movement restriction order.

19. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

20. Rinchin

Rinchin New Member

I think its more a time of stop the ability to spend more borrowed $$ on the resources local levels of government provide, police, firemen etc. Luckily federal government is too big to fail and can still borrow to finance their empire.