2013 sheet of 30 Pandas

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by eyeball, Jun 16, 2013.

1. eyeball

eyeball New Member

Just asking for opinion here, if I bought a sheet 0f 30 2013 Pandas would the value hold up better than generic bullion rounds and eagles? Nobody has a crystal ball but 8M of these are going to be minted. Will the values be as good as the older low mintage coins?

I guess In general what are the thoughts of semi numismatics vs generic bullion as far as going up in value or holding value.

Your comments would be helpful to a new collector

Thx

2. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

better than rounds and eagles for sure

3. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

ZeroHedge recently reported "A massive 7.4 million Silver Eagles were purchased from the U.S. Mint in January"
    (http://www.zerohedge.com/print/469006)

It doesn't take much to realize that one month of ASE mintage is roughly equal to 1year of 2013 1oz Silver Panda mintage (8million).

By the end of the year, there will probably be at least 8 times as many 2013 ASEs as 2013 Pandas.

Are 2013 1oz Silver Pandas likely to perform in the short and long term? I think so

With an increase in silver demand, we are likely to see increasing demand for Pandas too.

Without an increase in the supply of Pandas, we are likely to see an increase in value of the Pandas. Happy days ahead me thinks.

4. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

I study coins day and night and focus on Chinese coins...although I am not an expert by any means I believe in Pandas and even the 2013's for the reasons Yennus brought up.

I like the semi numi play so much I had my Dad order 3 Sheets of the 2013 Pandas. He basically takes my word for it if I say buy he goes for it.

5. upandaway

upandaway Member

I'm having doubts for the 2013 coins. I was going to post a new topic for this as I'm not sure if the cracks are starting to show in Pandas at these mintage levels?

I have bought a lot and think it's a beautiful design before I'm lynched :) but in Europe at least the prices have fallen hard to bullion coin levels for the first time I can ever remember. The traditional premium has completely gone. I fail to see how that is a good thing and why is it not the market speaking and unimpressed by the ramp up over recent years ?

Whilst I agree with much of what you write and advise us with Yennus it seems to hinge a lot on Chinese collectors still finding a mass appeal when the mintages are in the many millions. Saying all that I'll still continue to buy them over everything else with the addition of some lunars!

6. victoryocum

victoryocum New Member

Coins with a strong collector base - rare coins, antique coins, coins with mint errors and key dates are not subject to the bullion price movements. Their value goes up with time and degree of rarity. As for the bullion coins, the value of such coins move with the price movement of the bullion.

7. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I wish I had access to purchase Pandas in the European market - if I could, I would be buying big time into the Pandas there. Any site you could show where the premium on Pandas has gone? Do they ship overseas?

Indeed, a lot of what I write is from the Chinese and South-East Asian perspective, since I'm most familiar with these regions. Currently Panda prices are influenced a lot by the Chinese market, but I would not forget that what drove the premium for Pandas in the past was not the Asian markets, but demand from the USA and Europe. In recently times, Asian demand has caught up - but that doesn't mean that Western demand has diminished.