2013...Lunar Year, Stellar Year

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by mmissinglink, Jul 4, 2013.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

My first full year as a metals stacker and coin collector, 2013 is both the Lunar Year of the Snake and a stellar year for many stackers.

Perhaps not even arguably, the most common subject depicted on modern silver coins today are the Chinese Lunar Year animals. Almost every mint and many countries that produced coins and medals this year have used the Lunar Snake somewhere on a coin or medal....whether as the central subject or a much trumpeted privy mark. One can even find a couple dozen or more types of bullion bars and rounds emblazoned with the Lunar Snake. Perhaps every stacker or coin collector in this forum has purchased a 2013 silver or gold coin, or medal, or round, or bar which depicts the Lunar Snake.

2013 has been a great opportunity to all new stackers and many veteran stackers alike as low spot prices and reasonably low premiums paved way for both groups to add new physical metals to their new or growing stack.

2013 will be my first full year stacking or investing in physical precious metals. Quite incidental, I was born in the Year of the Snake. So 2013 has significance for me personally as well.

I'm creating this thread to celebrate this stellar year for me and those like me who believe that when we look back, 2013 will be seen quite favoraby in terms of physical metals accumulation. It's no surprise at all that, for example, the US Mint is breaking records for quantities of bullion and collector coins being sold...and we are only in the beginning of July!

The Lunar Snake represents longevity, wealth and prosperity.

Therefore, I am posting here a few examples of my favorite coins and medals of 2013 which celebrate the Year of the Snake (I used images off the internet for convenience so please excuse any company names you might see):

1 - Fiji Lunar Year of the Snake 1 oz silver proof with high grade Gilson Opal
    Max mintage: 1,000
    A static image and even a video don't do this coin's beauty real justice but here's a video just to get an idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSUR_8BFi14

2 - Tuvalu Year of the Snake Good Fortune - Wealth & Wisdom 2 coin proof set
    Max mintage: 1,500
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 - 2013 Rwanda silver 3d sculpted snakes gold gilding 3 coin prestige set
    Max mintage: 1,000
    Take a look:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8-9J4o4vVg

4 - New Century Snake Dance medal featuring extreme 3D relief
    120 mm 1.5 kilo each copper, bronze
    Max mintage: 200, 800
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Northerncoins

Northerncoins New Member Silver Stacker

Where can you buy the bronze and copper 3D reliefs? I collect Copper and Nickel bullion semi numis as well as Silver/Gold, I would like to add these to my collection if they are not priced too high etc.

Thanks

3. PeeZapp

PeeZapp Member Silver Stacker

Agree with northerncoins above would like a bronze medallion if they aren't overpriced look awesome

4. mmissinglink

They are not easy at all to find. I found mine on eBay earlier this year. You may also ask around on this forum: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php

There's some very helpful and knowledgeable people there

The mint that produced these may strike a very limited number of 1.5 kilo silver medals in this amazing design....if I get more news on that, I'll post it to this forum...this thread I suppose

5. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

There is separate (sub)forum for all things Lunar:
    Lunar forum
    ^^

6. mmissinglink

Good point Stark, I totally forgot. My bad.