How much silver do you buy?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by chrissilver, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Lilbig

Lilbig New Member

I tend to invest about 10%, but with the prices at the moment I've bought a bit more. My last investment was Scottsdale Silver - Niue Legal Tender bars. Good looking bars and only 350,000 minted I believe.

2. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

Nice. I like the semi numi plays. Much better than buying generic bullion.

3. JoelAG

JoelAG New Member

I tend to buy 20oz at a time (SAE or generic rounds/bars/bullets), when I have the money for them (as I too have a mortgage, dependents, a fixation with [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] . I have about 20% invested in silver. It just worked out that way. I also have 20% invested in stocks. The rest is in savings, for honest emergencies (basement flooding, car repairs, etc). The goal is to bounce between the three, buying when down, selling at highs, with the long term goal of slowing increasing the total value.

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I feel that when prices are low like they are now, bullion blobs and semis are good buys. I do tend to think that most semis will not be offered below a certain price while you can find blobs being offered at low premiums even when spot is at around $18. I'm still hoping for $14 spot silver this summer and I will very likely buy some silver blobs instead of higher priced semis.

Don't get me wrong, I really like semis, but when spot is very low, semis generally can't touch blobs in terms of a good investment.

5. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

Yea I was thinking about this. And actually I think that as the spot price is so low at the moment, you can't really go wrong with any investment in silver.

But generic silver will only ever be worth spot + a certain percentage.

Silver items that will appeal to collectors in the future and will be rarer will always sell for a higher premium.

And my argument was that if I am probably going to hold something for 10+ years anyway, I might as well buy something that is likely to increase over time with a collectors premium.

Even blobs of silver can get ridiculous premiums: http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-541347.html#p541347 1oz engelhard bar being auctioned, currently for about $675! Which is crazy. I want to find some of these types of investments

6. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1
    Definition of a financial investment versus economic investment. Simple. I don't know why the other guys keep not seeing the simple difference. It's not a indictment on financial investment and indeed the financial aspect is what motivates most entrepreneurs to attempt economic investments.

7. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Central bank insurance and sound money advocacy. My valuation of which (and any alternative opportunities presented to me) change frequently and consequently so to does my portfolio. Fancy way of saying no specific targets and especially not expecting any to da moon rubbish.