Looking at making a purchase..... help please :)

Discussion in 'Silver' started by jamesgonewild, Jun 28, 2013.

1. jamesgonewild

jamesgonewild Member

Considering either a 100 oz silver bar

or

1 oz gold coin + 1 kilo silver bar

or

Semi-numi coins / tubes

Any opinions or thoughts??

2. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

My vote, 3x1kg silver bars

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

100oz bar is too big for my tastes but probably good for the premiums. Same with Kilo bar, just too big for me.

Semi numi is keeping its price high during this decrease, you won't get much benefit from lower spot prices.

The Gold to Silver ratio is about 1:65 which to me suggests silver is the better option over gold.

Prices for bullion are low so I would be buying silver bullion, I think 10oz bars are big enough for me so I would get some of those.

Either low premium silver 10oz bars or unallocated silver, both are the same price at gold stackers so I would go for the low premium 10oz bars.

That is what I am thinking about at the moment.

4. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

10 * 10 oz bars

5. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

5oz or 10 oz lunar snake coins FTW!

6. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10oz Lunar Dragons FTW!

There's your semi numi right there!

Shame it isn't year of the Dragon this year.

7. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Do you have any gold?

If yes, go silver! :p

8. jamesgonewild

jamesgonewild Member

Thanks for all the response,

I think I'll go with the semi-numi coins and possibly a kilo bar! Those big bars are just so inviting and tempting :p

I do have a little bit of gold, but have a lot more silver in comparison

Now it's a matter of picking the right time to buy

9. shawn120

shawn120 Member

I like the 10x10oz idea alot but in the end I think I'd go with the variety of 5 tubes of 1oz coins. Libertads, ASE, Phillys, Maples (whats another hundy when you're dropping 2k+?!) and Buffalos.

10. Numismatist

Numismatist New Member

I Agree with this sentiment.

And if silver drops significantly in price you're left with some interesting looking coins you can fondle with some collection value compared to 10 boring 10oz bars.

Perhaps also throw in some 10oz coins into that mix? I think Perth mint 2013 lunar snakes are quite pretty.

[​IMG]
    Perth Local Ing Ing Jong designed this years Lunar snake

http://blog.perthmint.com.au/2013/01/15/ing-brings-snakes-to-life-on-lunar-coins/

11. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

901 oz coins

12. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Meh... 1oz Silver coins are a time-quagmire.. unless your really get into coins and dont mind spending a bunch of time with individual coins and (CRY CRY) individual (FUSSY!) customers then it may yeild you additional returns beyond the silver fiat price increase.

I suspect a huge amount of people who invest untold time and energy into various coins from various mints at some stage regrets it.. i value actual numismatics but modern limited junk is mostly a waste of money but also my time when i think of chasing SETS (series) and spend more than i should chasing back dates.. (only to have the value derailed by PM mintage policies)

Id keep it simple and save stackage space by getting the bullion bars.. those novelty oversize coins with the massive plastic cases are ridiculious if you have any kind of a silver stack.. but i guess people will learn in there own time how to keep there stack "managable"

My basic learned the hardway method is .. based on SPACE and AVAILABLE MONEY

Stack copper/nickel til you have no room then start stacking silver, when you run out of silver space, start selling down and liquidating for gold, also think about silver and the forms it takes.. at this stage id be selling all PM cased junk for 10oz bars and PM oversized coins for basic bars.. probably for GOLD or GEMS..

Keep working up the pyramid til you have mainly silver with a decent amount of gold and possibly gems and crypto for those with even less space and need to be MOBILE>

This method seems to be in harmony with my overall strategy..

Another thing for me is my conscince when i go to sell my silver to another "investor", i have a hard time passing off modern one ounce coins at hefty premiums, i would much rather sell someone a PM 10oz bar as to me there is no BS involved and i geniunely think its a good investment.. i feel like the franklin mint selling someone a 2010 Panda for $60 or a TRIVIUM Round for multiples of spot!

Funny how much has changed since i first purchased what i now consider to be inferior forms.. live and learn, refine and rethink.

1for1

13. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

forget the 100oz bar, not liquid enough. 5oz Lunars or 10oz Lunars are the business at current prices.

14. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I agree with this but it does depend on other factors such as how much you will have to spend in the upcoming days, weeks, months and what premiums, taxes, and shipping costs you will have to pay for each product. In general, lizard's evaluation is sound.

15. pdkbffwleo

pdkbffwleo New Member

I don't. Just as I dont mind buying certain shoes/shirts/watches with a premium. In the end, it's still leather, or cotton, or stainless steel...but, the premium is due to a number of factors, including desirability/supply/demand/rarity, etc.

I'd rather sell someone something that they want...whether that be a bar, or a 1oz, 10oz coin. I say, stay versatile...start with whatever is in your budget, and also, always, always, think VALUE. Whether be a bar, or a 10oz Kook. Always consider costs of just doing business...and minimize that as much as possible (shipping/handling).

16. PMS

PMS New Member

Large bars 1kg, 100oz, 1000oz etc, while much lower in premium (closer to spot) will be harder to move if you need a quick sale except maybe back to dealers who will tend to give less than spot.

Personally I would suggest seeking out 10oz bars as close to spot as you can find. As far as coins are concerned 1oz are the most liquid and semi numismatics, while attracting a higher premium, will also tend to hold a reasonable premium over spot even when the spot price falls.

Semi numismatic coins such as 1oz Perth Mint Kookas have some protection against falling spot prices as they are generally limited to mint runs of around 500,000 with the design changing each year so have a degree of collectibility.

Chinese Pandas have also been a popular semi numismatics but have recently increased their mintage so may not command as much of a premium as previous lower mintages.

A rule of thumb is to buy bullion coins, generic rounds, bars etc as close to spot as possible... of course buying as close to spot as possible on the dips should apply to any PM purchases!

17. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Bullion Club 10oz Silver Bars... cost about $10 less than PM bars .. without any loss of silver.. no brain(er)

About as good as it gets in terms of a good deal within Australia.. id look at unallocated or futures if you want exposure to the actual low spot price as $245 for a 10oz Bar is a bad deal given spot.. and the premiums only so south from there with other bullion classes.. quite shocking really.

18. Numismatist

Numismatist New Member

Agree with you there about the physical price premiums, Aussie dealers are pretty bad in terms of the mark up over spot price however the cost of doing business in Australia in general is pretty high so thats another issue entirely.

I have also managed to find one branded 10oz bar thats a few dollars cheaper than the Bullion Club ones which are themselves pretty damn cheap compared to the rest.

A sponsored dealer based in Parramatta has 10oz NTR minted bars nice and cheap. Currently 2 bucks cheaper than Bullion Club 10oz'er.

[​IMG]

19. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi Mate. I was looking at the BM NTR's x10 which were a great price last friday... i had difficulty loginng into my account.. there email send password function kept screwing out on me..

TBH i prefer the bullion club or PM bars to these... but if i can get them at $1 or $2 less per 10oz i will do so!

1for1

20. Numismatist

Numismatist New Member

Bugger, the NTR bars were down to $219 at one stage on Friday morning. Though i am guesstimating it will head back down again that direction shortly ;)

Yeah those plastic covered NTR bars aren't everyones cup of tea, they use recycled silver which might offputting to some purists. Spot is the same for silver regardless of its origin so i'll take any type of it :)