This Yankee supports the Australian economy...

Discussion in 'Silver' started by mmissinglink, Jun 28, 2013.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

??? What is the nature of this strange question?

I know a Canadian who buys more Amer Eagles than Maple Leafs. I'm sure there are Europeans who buy more Maple leafs than cojns from their own country. I'm sure there are Aussies who buy more Chinese coins than Australian. I'd bet that there are Chinese who like Perth Mint coins better than their own Pandas.

It's bizarre, rather strange, and gives rise to my suspicion of some inappropriate agenda of a person who questions why someone from one country might happen to like coins from another country and express that liking for conversation sake.

What is the nature of this strange question holdfast???

2. Mjduzane

Mjduzane New Member

hmm i never thought about that. I guess this good ol southern boy supports the australian economy too. My favorite kind of silver to buy is from australia

3. Cimexus

Cimexus Member

I'm also in the US and also have a stack primarily consisting of Perth Mint stuff. But for quite a different reason - I'm Australian and it was all bought in Australia. I just moved to the US in April :p I wonder if I'll keep buying Perth Mint stuff now, or whether I'll switch to some more local producers. I do like my Lunars and Kooks so I can't see myself giving them up.

I'm also watching in horror as the USD strengthens against all other currencies, especially the AUD, because most of my fiat is still stuck in Australia and has already lost 10% of its value (relative to USD) since I moved here. Very irritating. My timing sucks.

Also for all you Aussies complaining about how the government spends our money, while I agree with the sentiment of some of you, I would suggest you move to another country for a while to really appreciate that by and large, economic management in Australia is pretty good and that government services are delivered relatively cost-effectively. Dealing with the various levels of government in the US (Federal, State, local) is a nightmare compared to in Australia. Everything is so inconsistent, slow, paper-based and inefficient. I make the same income here as I did in Australia and once you add all federal and state taxes and social security etc. together, my after-tax pay is almost identical. So I pay just as much tax here as in Australia, but get far, far less for it. Not even a universal health care system. Simply put: stop whinging - Australia has got it pretty good.

4. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

More money for government = more government

I'd rather you burnt it :)

5. bimaco

bimaco New Member

This is incorrect. Focaccia is spelt with "cc" :lol:

This is so perfectly described, that it is sad.

For those who want to support and do something for us ordinary Aussies, sell us your silver and gold instead of taking ours overseas.

When free gold gets introduced, every country will need PM to back up their transactions. That is why the Swiss voted against selling their PM to foreigners.

6. mmissinglink

Wouldn't that be something to take up with the Commonwealth Parliament (of Australia). But sure, I'll sell to you....shipping may cost you an arm and leg though. :)

7. bimaco

bimaco New Member

They are only helping themselves, unlike you who is helping us. :)

8. pdkbffwleo

pdkbffwleo New Member

And yet the dollar still gains.

I can't believe it...but, it's true.

We print and print, and everyone still wants it.

It doesnt make sense...

9. pdkbffwleo

pdkbffwleo New Member

No kidding. I liked the topic, personally...and anyone asking why you'd ask it...confuses me.

I'm american. I have silver Canadian cougars, American Buff's and Aussie Kooks.

I'll buy whatever the F I want...because it's my money.

10. PAGAU

PAGAU New Member

It's easy for me to winge about the Aust Govt and their spending (relying on oops!..media dramatisations) but I not having lived both here and overseas like Cimexus has done, I have to rely somewhat on his assessment that we have it 'pretty good'.

11. mmissinglink

Rigged games never make much sense to anyone but those who rig it. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot I love about my country but I have never been shy about condemning our leaders when they behave terribly wrong.

Most of us here know how the petro-dollar came about and what fu<ked up things my civilian leadership has done to other nations to keep the petro-dollar in place. The laundry list isn't short.

I do try to buy American made products for the most part but I am not a purist when it comes to investing. Tonight, I guess that's early in the AM for Aussies, I find myself thinking about which Lunar series coins I should buy while spot is on the low. As I've said before, free shipping or better yet no shipping (local pick-up) is really a sweet incentive.

Lastly, as someone else pointed out in one of the threads here, American silver Eagle bullion coins drop in value as spot goes down whereas Perth bullion Lunars haven't really done much of that in the past several months that I've seen. They retain value better than our American standard silver bullion coin.