This Yankee supports the Australian economy...

Discussion in 'Silver' started by mmissinglink, Jun 28, 2013.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

....so cut me some slack please when I share info that you personally may find difficult to digest.

I quickly calculated the value of my small stack very recently and have come to realize that just about 50% of its value is in Perth Mint coins (mostly bullion and almost entirely silver). Perth Mint pays taxes to the Australian gov't and that gov't provides Aussies with services. So, thanks to me, in very small part, I am supporting the Australian economy and you (if you are an Aussie) indirectly through your gov't. :D

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

All the dole bludgers in Australia send their thanks :)

3. mmissinglink

No actually, EVERY Aussie benefits from gov't services whether or not they realize it. Gov't services include military upkeep which ostensibly keeps you guys from being invaded by a hungry Yankee expansionist gov't, certain roads in Australia get maintained thanks to taxes....those roads allow for more efficient trucking of products that virtually every Aussie uses, and so on and so forth.

Here in the US, the wacky Conservatives have bought into the same nonsense story - that only certain "bums" benefit from gov't services. The truth is, all Americans do and all Aussies do I would have to conclude.

4. Jislizard

It's true, the Yankee Military invasion has mostly been confined to the top of the country, the roads are fantastic for bringing in cheaper goods from overseas and something like 44% of Australians are on some sort of welfare (I am sure I read that somewhere).

However I think most of the money that you have given us has been blown on pink batts, a National Broadband Network, some big empty school sheds and a $15 million empty building which is sitting out in front of my workplace for two years which was paid for by the taxpayers.

It would be better for us if you just bought your Perth Mint products directly from silver stackers, that way we can ensure that it goes to people who really need the money :)

5. Wilty

Wilty Member

Don't forget subsidising British OAP's

6. Jislizard

:)

Well you get to borrow the Queen for your coins, it's only fair that you give a little back.

7. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you paid for that 'money' (Perth Mint Coins) with 'currency' (fiat US Dollars) I'd say you're on the winning end of the deal, and we Aussies are on the suckers...unless those $US dollars were spent quickly (i.e. passed the buck) ;)

8. mmissinglink

I dislike US currency policy as much as any Aussie might. Have you seen our national debt? That will come home to roost mainly on the shoulders of Yankees like me and the generation(s) of Yanks to follow, I think. I am no money wiz but isn't it difficult for our Central Bankers and gov't officials to pass that much US debt onto other nations?

9. Jislizard

I think that having the US Dollar as the reserve currency for many countries is doing just that.

We have to do international trade in US dollars so we need to keep some on hand. If the US prints more then the value would drop and all the savings in foreign countries would drop too. However the US is printing more money and is getting stronger against our Aussie Dollar, the price of safe havens such as gold is dropping so really who knows, maybe they can just print money forever.

10. mmissinglink

What about BRICS? Would Australia joining BRICS be better than being dependent on the US dollar? The reserve currency should be whatever currency free sovereign nations prefer....no?

11. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

I feel you've scammed our nation we gave you silver and you gave us worthless american money

12. Clawhammer

Thing is..even though we exported some metal (Iron Ore Nickel..a little gold and silver) we import just about everything else...TV's fridges, Oil, foreign workers... we need those dollars to bring them in :/

13. Jislizard

Well Brazil isn't doing too well at the moment so I don't think there is a magic wand for financial stability. It used to be suggested that international trade be carried out in gold but I am guessing that idea is not getting much attention at the moment. Plus I think Libya and Iraq were discussing that and it didn't turn out too good for them, or at least that was the tinfoil hat theory at the time.

I am not sure that swapping one fiat for another is going to help much, put it in the Euro?

At the moment the US dollar is doing quite well so I can't see anyone clamouring for a change.

14. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ill thank you personally when you put me up the next time I'm in New York..:)

15. Clawhammer

I believe Brazil is just a few years ahead of OZ. A limited number of special interest groups (i.e. commodity exporters) successfully lobbied their Politicians to lower the exchange rate to improve their competitiveness margins. Now the rest of the economy is having to pay far higher prices for everything else for the vast majority of goods they import.

Not sure if Aussies will riot though.

16. gazzahere

gazzahere Member Silver Stacker

"No actually, EVERY Aussie benefits from gov't services whether or not they realize it"

Well, really in Australia our governments get rid of most of the money like a drunk pissing it against a wall. Very little is well spent and almost none well managed.

What the vast majority of your money did most likely is kept some public servant employed in something totally unnecessary for 15 minutes or so.

In fact, the money probably never left the tax department.

Thanks for your contribution though. If you want to give more can I suggest direct deposit - that way it will be at least well wasted and certainly appreciated:)

Have a great day.

Gazza.

17. A yankee! Aww shucks, an I thought you wuz a good ole southern boy.
    Now them fellers south of the Dixie would have looked after us jest fine but thanks anyway fer tryin.
    Mebe next time the right side'l win an evry thing'l be right an good agin.

18. MyNamesNotBen

MyNamesNotBen New Member

The media blew this way out of proportion.

The NBN isn't being funded with tax payers money. It is being paid for with loans (with a low interest rate thanks to Australia's AAA credit rating) and is expected to MAKE the government a 7%p.a return. It will only cost taxpayers if demand for fixed line internet access slows and/or if NBN co loses money (certainly possible but looking unlikely)

Once again the media blows a non issue way out of proportion. The "big empty sheds" they built at my old school were used as assembly areas/ sitting areas/ a shaded area to play sport/ a nice outdoor place to study, etc. Yes the money wasn't spent on classrooms but the "big empty sheds" were far from a waste of money and improved the quality of my school and i'm sure it did to many other schools too.

Please explain?

All this LABOUR IS STEALING MY MONEY AND SPENDING IT ON THINGS I DONT LIKE JU-LIAR GILLARD IS WORSE THAN HITLER type of shit drives me up the wall. The reality is that the government needs to be in charge of important/basic things like roads/education/healthcare/communication networks and protecting the environment. (regardless of weather certain individuals think these things are important or not). In smaller countries with a dense population privatisation can work with roads and other infrastructure but Australia is just too large. Just look at telstras pathetic excuse of an ADSL network and you will see why the private sector fails. Look at the healthcare system in America ffs.

If you are stacking precious metals you most certainly do not "need the money".

19. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

pink batts = 2.5 billion idk seems like alot of money to me

government should never get involved in private enterprise like the NBN if the NBN was needed and such a great return on investment then private enterprise would do it

they spent $150,000 PER SIGN on the signs outside each school a 2x1m sign

My guess your a communist and your under the belief government should be involved in everything. Personally I believe in freedom. Each to their own I guess

20. Talking of communists and pink batts.
    This is what you get when you put a "pinko" like Garrett in charge of a ministry portfolio. :rolleyes:
    Celebrity politics, what a concept.
    Is it any wonder why we are getting in such strife?
    I'm planning on buying enough silver to insulate my ceiling BTW.
    It's not as energy efficient as the Labor pink batts but it's certainly cheaper. :D