Looking To Get Into Semi-Numi's! What To Buy?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by joeonepack, Jun 24, 2013.

1. joeonepack

joeonepack New Member

Hey everyone,

This is my first post. Let me give a brief introduction. I am about 6 months new to silver stacking. I've been purchasing mostly junk silver (I'm Canadian) and some silver buillion rounds and bars.

I have not purchased a single semi-numi coin to date. I'm am looking to preserve my wealth, even against the drop in silver price. I know this can be managed through the stacking of semi-numi's,

What would be the best rounds to get into right now for the future?

Thank you!

Kyle

2. tiddleyetom

tiddleyetom Member

Welcome Kyle

3. clubman

clubman Member

Canadian wildlife series? the bear and wolf are great coins.

4. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

I agree to the Canadian Wildlife Series part....disagree with buying the Wolf and Grizzly.

Those two coins have the least upside in the series as they've already reached peak as far as my opinion goes. The grizzly may still have some room, but the wolf, I'd stay clear of. Heck, I still don't have a single wolf for my own collection, but bought a bunch of grizzzlies at $36 a piece a while ago when spot was around $32 or so...Spot's now $20 and I've been selling them at $45 a piece (Ignore my website prices for bullion, those are far overpriced...I prefer to sell bullion only locally as margins are tiny and not much room to even accept paypal and make money).

Cougars I find the ugliest of the bunch.

Moose are ready to take off as supply is almost depleted. Scotia bank here in Canada was one of the last known supplier of these at the low premium and have now sold out. There is still 1 more I am aware of that offers a low premium (they're selling it for essentially the same price as me, being $650 per tube)

Bisons/Antelopes, I would say you have time before these get scarce and in the meantime there's better alternatives

Outside of the Canadian Wildlife Series, I've been able to score great deals on coins like the 2oz Proof Mexican Libertad at $65-70 a piece when its going for $100+ on ebay

Privy Marked Canadian Maples are another great loss mitigator.

NZ Mint Taku's - If you sell a couple at a time to the right person, you'll be able to make money, in bulk they're closer to bullion.

Somali Elephants - Can be flipped for $40+ a piece. I've sold these around the $25 mark in bulk for group specials I've run.

But that's all I can think of in terms of semi-numis items on the lower end of the premiums.

5. joeonepack

joeonepack New Member

Thank you WSD. That was a very informative post. Where are you located? What are your thoughts on the Stock Horse?

6. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

I would suggest you take a look at the current 2013 Pandas since you can get them at a very "cheap" price...relative to what Pandas have been selling for the past few years...even the new releases like 2011,2012, & 13's.

You can get these around $30 each right now and would be a nice way for you to get your feet wet.

I have not lost a dime on any Panda I have purchased with the huge drop in spot except the 2013's so If I were new to semi-numi's i would be buying as many premium coins and a discount. You can even pick up Gem_BU and MS69's in NGC slabs around $33-$37-

to give you another idea aside from the Pandas try to find dealers who sell "Silver is Silver" meaning they do not mark up Austrialian Bullion or Chinese bullion with a premium. These are usually US focused dealers who don't know the market and don't care to learn more about the modern stuff. You can find great buys from these types of dealers on world bullion at Shows and even in their shops.

Since I brought it up you should consider Australian Kookaburras as well or any Australian Silver Bullion you can buy under $30 right now. These are such high quality and nice designs that you can go wrong.

Drew

7. joeonepack

joeonepack New Member

Thank you for the posts guys.

I was looking at the 2011 10oz Kookaburras at my local LCS. They are asking $235.55 CAD. Is this a good buy? Should I consider the 2013 Koala's? Does it come down to Mintage at this point?

8. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I like the Lunar series very much in spite of the fact that the series has taken some heat earlier this year.

9. lostwords

lostwords New Member

Eh now!!!!!! I want to sell those Grizzly... :)

10. lostwords

lostwords New Member

It's all depend on you. I think that's not bad. At the time of this posting, silver price is around 19.50 CDN. that's about $4 over spot....

11. TP9

TP9 New Member

Kyle, SGB has the 1.5oz polar bears on special for $3.00 off per coin. I really like these despite the premium and it looks like there will be another GB over on RFD if you are interested.

12. joeonepack

joeonepack New Member

Ooo I am interested. Where is it!? Where?! Ahhh Where!?!?! lol :)

13. clubman

clubman Member

Panda is a good choice, especially recent years. $28 would be the right price for now.

14. joeonepack

joeonepack New Member

Want to show me where to find Panda's for that price?

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2013 Year of the Snake (Canada) 1/2oz $10 coin for $37. Worth it?

15. mmissinglink

Just a simple reminder why the Lunar series 2 has been so popular worldwide and still my favorite silver 1 oz series today....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. mmissinglink

Now, for other than 1 ounce silver bullion coins, my favorite set is the America The Beautiful coins. Here are just a few to remind you why they are so popular:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The P collector version of these coins comes in a box with COA and a very nice matte finish. These collector versions have a limited production and many are getting very nice premiums even in this down metals market.

As you are in Canada, both the America The Beautiful 5 oz coins and the Lunar coins should be available widely.

17. TP9

TP9 New Member

Look at the Silver Gold Bull website for the coin. Then check the bullion thread on RFD to see if the GB materializes :)

18. TP9

TP9 New Member

2013 pandas going for 27 @ TGB. I'll PM you the link since I don't know if putting it up here is in violation of forum rules...

19. TP9

TP9 New Member

Duplicate post

20. TP9

TP9 New Member

Those are nice, I've never seen them before.