Stacking philosophy: Bullion vs collectibles

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Yeti Hunter, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Yeti Hunter

Yeti Hunter Member

But if the premiums are so high, how do you come by the numis at a good price in the first place? It strikes me as being somewhat bubbly.

2. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I don't think $26 and change for a nice kookaburra (semi) with a mintage of 500,000 is high. But that is just me. :)

3. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

barsenault, can you get me some kooks? You never reply to my PMs :lol:

4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

the middle part of 2010 the silver price was hovering a little below what it is today, and the Australian dollar was even lower than it is now. 1 oz Lunar Tigers at the time cost $25.00 from dealers. Quite the premium. Fast forward to today, 2013. Since then we went from around $18.00 spot up to the high 40's and back nearly to where we started from. What's a 1 oz Tiger worth right now? They are currently finishing on Ebay at $60.00 and upwards.

5. chrissilver

definitely. these coins are the way to go. I am going to be stocking up on the 2014 stock horse when it comes.

6. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

hmmm. I haven't received an email. Interesting. Are you sending it to [email protected]? Sure, I'd be happy to help. Try sending it there, and I'll check my spam folder. Sorry about that.

7. chrissilver

I was sending you a PM on here. But will shoot you an email now. :)

8. victoryocum

victoryocum New Member

The thin line between tossing coins into ones collection and owning piece of art is fading away. Just a few days back when I checked out a couple of sites to learn about how to go about determining coin value, I stumbled upon some antique coins and medallion coins that have gone under the hammer and have been auctioned for multi-million dollars!!!!

9. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's been true and good since 1982... the fun might end tomorrow, but so far it is pretty much historical fact, and observable math.

With the wealth of Asia increasing, the popularity of silver increasing, and the base of collectors growing too, I don't see why the fundamentals would shift downwards. If anything, those market-beating returns are likely to get much bigger.

10. chrissilver

The reason this worked was because of supply vs demand. The demand has increased a lot where as the supply is low. But now the mintage's for the pandas is higher, and I presume as demand increases in the future so will the mintages for these coins. So the returns will be a lot lower.

But semi numis are deff the way to go imo. With a little bullion bought whilst prices are low. But majority of semi numis, guaranteed to have some sort of a return in a few years whatever the spot price is, providing you buy the coins with enough demand and limited mintages.

11. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

Even in times of "apocolypse" in recent history (last couple of hundred years) you will find that "art" sells easier and for more than "blogs of precious metals". If you go back to the Asian Crisis, Argentinian currency crisis, Gulf War, Vietnam War, Zimbabwean inflation crisis, WW2, Depressions etc - any that you can thing of - you will find that "art collections" will always be more valuable and sort after than a plain blog of pm. HOWEVER - you wont get the most for it if you take it down the corner store for a carton of milk!

When the Nazis plundered Europe they didn't only collect gold and throw out all the artwork and melt down all the jewellery and coins that were "found". When Iraq was plundered and invaded the Museums were gutted - not for their precious metals but for their art, antiquities and coins.

There is always money in "scarcity" - which is where SOME limited edition coins fit in - such as Kooks, Lunars and Pandas (not sure about future Pandas with the changing of mintage numbers but previous years are good).

You can buy the current years stock (ok - not 2013 so much but when the 2014 is released you will be able to) of Kooks and Lunars for spot plus 10-15% usually if you hunt around. At worst they will follow spot - but even this I doubt (particularly Lunars as Series 2 cannot have more than 300 000 minted - it is set by Commonwealth legislation) as previous history can attest. Blobs of silver though - even Pamps or Perth Mints nice as they are - will never be worth more than spot plus about 5%.

malachii

12. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

I am no Panda expert but out of every Panda I have bought with the exception of the 2013's I paid around $40 i have made money.

I even sold a few of them lately along with some other Chinese Numis like Fat mans and the like to buy more bullion.

I turned 5 pandas into 15oz.

I also made a trade recently that went the other way. The guy had a roll of Silver 1 oz Australian Snakes so I traded him 22oz of Generics for 20oz of Lunar Snakes.

He wanted OZ and I wanted Quality.

In a time like this you can make some moves and In when spot is this low I feel strongly about low premium bullion but if its a small spread than jump for the kook or panda's ect.

13. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Excellent points. I have what I call rotating diversity. I buy a little of this and a little of that. I don't believe it's ever a good idea to put all of one's eggs in one basket. The only drawback with diversity is that you have to learn a lot more. As just one example, I learned about different mines, production quantities, and so forth as well as did hands on lapidary and some facetting and stone setting so that I can have a better appreciation and insight when buying a small quantity of semi-precious and precious stones.

Oh, nothing wrong with owning bobs of bullion bars, just that if that's all you own, then you may be really sweating it in times like this.

14. lostwords

lostwords New Member

I think time like this, it is good to diversify. I collect Bullion, Semi-numismatic, new numismatic.