NGC quality control problem??

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Reggie Perrin, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

2. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

HAhaha... yep, seems to be an NGC quality control issue :)

3. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Seems like they both failed.

4. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

That's a shame, MCM have pulled the item from eBay.

Although I'm now totally confused (no change there)

The NGC site shows the correct coin in their photo, yet the eBay listing obviously shows a completely different coin with the same number.

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/CertResults.aspx?CertNumber=3589252-029

I'm guessing The conspiracy theorists will love this one. :)

5. Pandacollector

Pandacollector Active Member

This was the NGC response on the Chinese Coin Forum:

"Peter Anthony brought this thread to my attention and I wanted to offer some clarification. NGC does not consider this type of photoshopped or edited image to be acceptable, and we will inform Modern Coin Mart of this. I do not believe that our customer service representative fully understood what had been done, and we will make sure that issues like this are appropriately addressed by our staff in the future.

Many internet sellers use stock photos and in some limited situations it might be necessary to edit a photo of an NGC holder, such as when a new release is being pre-sold. Under no circumstances should this image misrepresent or mislead. Clearly, we need to have a policy in place that defines when a stock photo or edited photo is acceptable, and I welcome all feedback. Anyone is welcome to email me directly at [email protected].

I would also like to address the questions about special treatment. No dealer, including Modern Coin Mart, receives preferential grades from NGC. Our graders never know the identify of a submitter. Modern Coin Mart is located near NGC because it allows them to drop off and pick up coins, which reduces the shipping time and expense. In fact, many dealers have relocated to Sarasota because their proximity to NGC results in faster shipping times. (Just type in "Sarasota" into the Dealer Locator on the NGC website to see how many other member dealers are in the area.)

If anyone has any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,
    Max Spiegel
    Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC)"

6. Silver Bullion Boy

Silver Bullion Boy New Member

These guys are making millions from stupid labels and bits of plastic, you got to hand it to them!

7. Pandacollector

Pandacollector Active Member

They also provide a service that generally protects collectors from the grading abuse that was common before third party graders, and guarantee the authenticity of the coins they certify. In the "old days" it was quite a trick to sell a coin back to a dealer at the same grade it was when you bought it. It's not the plastic or labels that you pay for but the knowledge and protection. IMHO.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    China Pricepedia
    www.pandacollector.com