I got cleaned out

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Mickroy, Jun 15, 2013.

1. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There is a counter-party risk with this type of investment. Possibly greater than storage at home?

My biggest concern would be where unallocated GS customers stand legally in the event (heaven forbid) of GS becoming insolvent ?

2. willrocks

Is it: Precious Metal Depository Service?

3. Stripes

Stripes New Member Silver Stacker

Sorry for your loss, will keep an eye out for you.
    Cheers, Stripes

4. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Perth Mint Depository Service

Mickroy - very sorry to hear your news - nightmare for anyone, stacker or not

5. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Thats not a safe its a tin box & you only screwed it to the floorboards not the floor joist .

Anyone with a similar thing you need to screw it to the joist where the line of nails are with at least 4" coach screws & very large washers on the inside of the safe . That being said anyone with a safe like that needs to revise the situation & get a real safe . A quick hit with an axe would slice straight through that or sledgehammer would crumble it .It needs to be hardened steel core filled between the inner & outer layers with concrete or something similar . Anything that weighs under 100 kgs isnt a safe its a toy .I would recomend something over 200kgs bolted in a corner to the wall & the floor into the floor joist & wall studs if your in a timber building or dyna bolted or chemset into the cement if you have a slab .It might sound expensive to buy until you lose the lot like mickroy did ...then its cheap ..Whats a couple of thousand when you have many multiples of that amount stored in it . Floor safes are my choice if you have a cement slab .

No offense mickroy but that is useless . :rolleyes:

6. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Do you recall the brand at all Mickroy? Hearing that it was a shit safe isn't going to get your metal back - but I'm betting there's more than a few members on here with similar unsatisfactory security arrangements that think their metal is secure that can take a lesson from this.

7. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I chemset the dynabolts !!!!

Don't worry if your renting either. When it's time to leave, just use an angle grinder to cut off the bolt tops and fill the holes with some cement.
    ( you can buy it in small 5kg bags ~$15 from bunnings, I've been using the same bag for years, as it only requires a handful of cement each time).

Just add some water to make it into a runny paste, pour into the holes and level off with a piece of cardboard and cleanup the surface with a damp sponge or rag.

Takes about 5 mins and within an hour you wouldn't have known there were holes there. :cool:

8. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

Mmmm just for clarification.
    You won't be bolting anything to a cement slab.
    Cement is a powder bought in bags or liquid slurry in bulk, what they mean to say is concrete. Concrete is sand, gravel and cement mixed with water. Can also have hardening agents.
    Another point is most domestic slabs are soft in the world of concrete. Most are not vibrated. A slab with 10% Intrapped air has about half the design strength. Ie 25mpa = 12.5mpa. A good leverage will remove most safes bolted down on domestic slabs.
    Only sure bet is a safe weight above 300kg. A good quality safe in this group starts at $3000. But will still be there after an attack.
    Look at Chubb or cmi security safes.

9. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

In the case of a timber frame, it's not that difficult to cut through floor boards, joists and wall studs with a power saw.
    Damage to house structure in this scenario could end up costing more than the value of the safe contents.

10. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Cutting through load bearing structure with 200kg of safe + whatever in it above it... eeeek

11. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

to save a lot of issues, is there anything wrong with a safety deposit box in the vault of a bank or did I just swear?

12. willrocks

I get a metal picture of a squished thief clutching a power saw.

13. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

It only makes sense when you're storing the yellow ones.
    The white ones takes too much space, especially coins :(

14. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They're just too small for silver... and won't handle the weight.

15. robertc400

robertc400 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have found that providing your own tin to put into a branch vault is certainly the cheapest option. I managed to get two cash tins (30cm x 20cm x 10cm) sitting on top of one another for the small price of $65 per year with ANZ. A lot of the small branches do not have the fecility but the big ones do. The amount of Gold you could put in them would be huge money wise. I dont stack gold but I could easily fit somewhere around 20 1kg bars in each tin, but the bank only wants them to weigh 10kgs each so as not too heavy for the staff to handle. So 20kg of silver at $65 per year is not too bad. I can also have access to them when ever I want.

Let me know if someone has a cheaper option.

16. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ironic that stacking is a means of defense against reckless banksters and their policy, only to hand it all back to them on a plate for safe keeping.

17. Mickroy

Mickroy New Member

As I said initially in the OP, the PM's were in there in transition, and I shouldn't have had them in there as it was not a 'safe' safe. I only had it because I had to for my markers, but it was in no way adequate to hold such valuables. If I had real firearms the safe would have been much more substantial, but for paint guns, I had weapons licensing out to inspect it last year & they said it was adequate.

Another factor is we thought we had a higher level of cover with our insurance, as my wife was adamant she'd told them about the PM's, but again, another mistake that we didn't verify it in our policy. Another one in the what-if pile.

Point is I'm posting so others can learn from my mistakes & re-assess their own security, because I'd hate to see this happen to anyone else.

18. steve.rsa

steve.rsa Member Silver Stacker

That safe looks to be only marginally "safer" than the International Roast tins buried in my backyard....

19. Stick Framer

Stick Framer New Member

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for sharing Mickroy. Sorry for your loss.

I hope they catch the little bastard/s that did it and I hope you get your property back.

P.s maybe it was a blessing in disguise that they could smash the safe.. If they were not able to get it open they could have returned when someone were home or waited till someone got home and got you to open it through violence or threat of violence.

It both saddens me and angers me that people work hard contributing to society only to have the fruits of their labour taken away by some scumbag who doesn't feel bad about what they are doing... The deadbeat probably gets the dole too.