I got cleaned out

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Mickroy, Jun 15, 2013.

1. plata

plata Member Silver Stacker

Sorry to hear that. Very suspicious. Definitely someone close to you/family who knew your possessions and location of your safe. If that so, it is very sad.
    If none of the above, then it was a lucky day for a well prepared thief

2. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Gutted for you

To be fair though, they may have been after your paintball guns

3. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Posted a link from a Vic Police website a while back. Most folk that get hit have a high percentage probabilty of getting a return visit within the week... and even higher within the month.

Awful news for you Mickroy. And even worse because of your missing paintball guns... THE QPS is gunna make your life a misery. :(

condolances dude.

4. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

really sorry to hear that news as I'm sure it's at the back of every SS mind no matter where in the world we are located.

For all our sakes you must take photos of that safe right now and upload it so we can all see and learn :(

5. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

That would be illegal its like putting a shotgun on a rope attached to ur door aka its premeditated murder

6. finchy

finchy New Member

Sorry for your loss Mick,never a good feeling being robbed.

sidepoint -
    If someone does your place over & you own a massive vault/safe easily found they will be back,if they could not open it then & there.
    Doesnt matter if its days or years,they will be back.
    Big safe in the eyes of a thief = equal big reward.

The disadvantages of owning a beast of a safe is that if someone storms your house with a " sawn off " with them knowing you have something the size of a bank vault,your gunna open that safe for them whether its a $30 bunnings cheapo or 10k fortress of a vault.

When your lifes at risk or your family members,trivial things like money/possesions lose all value.

7. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Makes a good case for:

1. Storing only a minimal amount of PMs at home
    2. Not telling anyone you own PMs
    3. Using a PO Box, and never giving out your physical address
    4. Not storing all your PMs in one place
    5. Having a dog

8. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It does make a good case.
    But flies in the face of the often repeated mantra of "if you don't hold it, you don't own it."

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Starting to think more members have lost metal by holding it than not.

10. Mickroy

Mickroy New Member

Thank you all for the support.

I'll post a pic of the safe tomorrow. It wasn't anything particularly heavy duty unfortunately. Although, the damage to the hardwood floor was substantial, so who's to say if I had a heavier safe it would have helped?

The what if's have been flying around in my head for the last few days. Did I tell someone about it I shouldn't have? Did I tell someone too much on SS in a private trade? I have no idea. I grew up in a regional north Qld where we never even locked our doors when we went out, so maybe I've been too blas, too trusting somewhere along the line without realising it. I should have done this, that, and so on...

All I can be thankful for now is that no one was hurt as someone mentioned, that my pregnant wife was not home alone for example. The humanity of it is really stressful. The ferocity of which the place was turned upside down, and the total disregard for the life we've built are hard pills to swallow. Like many of you I'm sure, we weren't born with a silver spoon - and what we lost represents the limited lifestyle we lead; all the nights out we turned down, the new big screen TV we didn't buy, etc, etc. I don't think I'll be back trading on here in a long time if ever. I seem to suck at every attempt at self sufficiency I've ever made.

Anyways, enough whinging. I'll put some pics up tomorrow as someone may get something out of it.

11. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

Made me rage reading this thinking that the burglar's likely playing with his centre-link sponsored Iphone and plasma TV having never worked a day in his life.

[​IMG]

Condolences brother. Don't give up.

12. tiddleyetom

tiddleyetom Member

Sorry to hear about your loss, this is #king awful...

13. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Do you know what year the Sovereigns were? They might be the key to identifying the stash if it all stays together.

14. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd be hitting the local pawn brokers, dealers and watching gumtree closely if any of it is easily recognised

15. Caput Lupinum

I'm pretty sure it's not 1815 anymore either

16. willrocks

17. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

Shocking thing to happen :(

A robust powerful loyal friend to look after your home if you're there or not, and why stop with 1. Designed long ago for this purpose
    http://www.seeuferhauserottweilers.com.au/

18. Caput Lupinum

Would this devalue the bar at all? I like the idea, but if you want to sell it at some point down the track, would a potential buyer be put off from buying it given that there's another stamp on it? What if theres a number of buyers down the track that also want to stamp the bar?

19. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

I also think that when you first discover metals and how "if" the SHTF occurs, you now have a clever way of avoiding it via the purchase of metals, however you can't help yourself by firstly informing all your close relatives and explain to them about this system you've discovered. Then when they don't listen to your brilliant idea you tell your close friends at work over a beer one night in the pub to sound interesting. :p

Yes, they ask you questions like where do you buy it? how much? do you know the price of gold? what's spot? but of course the question does pop up how do you store it? :rolleyes: it's those critical points where things can go wrong...

First point - just to convince them you're not mad purchasing metals to save your ass if the SHTF and trust me all people will think you are insane (MISTAKE ONE) just shut up and get on with stacking :cool:
    Second point - at that point to gain their trust and to demonstrate to them you are not mad you tell them "sure you can store it at home away from those dam bankers. BIG MISTAKE. just shut up and get on with stacking :cool:

Third point is, these above points multiply by x 2 when you wife is apart of it and and multiply x multiply when that person you spoke to tells another person and another, so on and so on.

So, if you only knew at the start to kept you lips closed (and you are not alone in that field) I feel you would have narrowed down your percentages of stealing those hard earned & saved purchases. "Loose lips sinks ships" of course every thing is 20:20 in hindsight - sorry for your loss but looking forward to seeing those photos of the safe and how good you actually stored the merchandise. ;)

20. willrocks

I'd have no problems having a bar with a very small stamp on the back or side.

Obviously it would need to look like some type of mint mark, otherwise the thief would try to remove it.