2014 Year of the Horse - Perth Mint launch event

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by goldpelican, Jun 8, 2013.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Premiums for the last two years have been exactly the same as other bullion sold on the day - they don't change for the launch. I recall for the Dragons that they actually froze the spot price even though spot was moving up to ensure everyone in line got the same price per coin.

2. Byron

Byron Guest

So the best way for plebs to get a 1 oz'er without eye-gouging premiums is?????

3. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

steal it))

4. goldpelican

Turn up for the launch, buy from the Perth Mint bullion website, or buy from a dealer website that doesn't gouge on the initial stock.

5. BIGGRIN

BIGGRIN Member

I believe they will sell like hot cakes if the current spot price remains as is at release.

6. ashleyd123

ashleyd123 Member

The bullion coins dont concern me, the price of the proof coins could well be the PM's undoing. Are we expecting the same (or increased) price on the 3 coin sets etc as per previous issues with silver at almost half the price it was 12 months ago?

7. Stick Framer

Stick Framer New Member

Have I missed the announcement on the date or is it still to be confirmed?

8. goldpelican

Still awaiting confirmation. Been a bit busy with EOFY stuff to chase the mint last week.

9. goldpelican

10. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

There appears to be a lots of excitement, at least in this forum, about the Perth Mint's next Lunar series coin release. This seems to be a departure from the past year or at least since I've found this forum.

Sentiment on Lunars this year seemed quite low especially concerning some of the minting policies on Lunar coins by the Perth Mint.

Q 1. Do you think that this abundant interest in the 2014 Horse here signifies a more positive sentiment going forward by stackers toward the Lunar series?

Q 2. Do you believe the public in general holds the same sentiment (negative or positive) toward the Lunar series as stackers like those here in SS? In other words, comparable with other similar bullion or numismatic coins from other major mints around the world, how has sales fared for Lunars...on par, less than, or better than?

The reason I ask is I either want to taper the amount of money I spend on Lunars and put that money toward other mint's coins or increase my Lunar purchases.believing that the popularity of the Lunar series is not waning but instead increasing.

11. ashleyd123

ashleyd123 Member

From last years experience, I watched all the SS members queuing at the gate as I arrived, go in for the launch and speech etc, I simply walked in straight after them at opening time as a member of the public and bought my coins from the retail shop with no queues at all. Lady even said I was the first person to buy the snakes that day! A couple of friendly tourists also bought a 1oz coin each to take home thanks to my good sales pitch :)

A fellow stacker friend of mine was horrified to find me at the nearby pub already 3 pints down by the time he got there, apparently all he got that I didn't was a speech by some fat pommy bloke promoting perth mint products blah, blah, blah and he got there 2 hours earlier than me so "he didn't miss out".

No disrespect to this years launch, but I a gain will be at the Grosvenor at opening time :) Coins in hand.

12. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Blah blah.... Fortunate for some ...we have jump the first queuing. :cool:
    Nevertheless This will be good one to wrap up in the bag.
    :p

13. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Cash. Efpost.
    No cc. Dont forget id. For transaction over. Limit

14. ashleyd123

ashleyd123 Member

Efpost !! Lol !! HAhahahahah.....:lol:

15. Kam

Kam Active Member Silver Stacker

Agree, the Horse is one of the key years on the S1 series

16. mmissinglink

Okay, that's neat and all, but do you agree with Bullion Baron that this 2014 release will spur renewed enthusiasm about the entire Lunar 2 series or do you think the excitement will die down a few weeks after the Sept release of the Horse? I mean, there was already talk on here about buying 10 kilo horses....don't know if that was just joking but maybe 2014 will be a banner year for Perth Mint coin enthusiasm that may have long term positive implications for the remainder of the Lunar series.

I would like to think B Baron is right but trying to get other's opinions.

17. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

After the initial enthusiasm, the horse coins will be somewhat silver price dependent. I agree with BB that the horse is a more popular coin, but if silver were to drop more in price and stay down for years, the number of collectors will likely decline. While I think silver will be lower in September-October, I will need to dust off my Magic 8 Ball for a longer term prediction. :)

18. mmissinglink

That makes some sense what you are saying about the price of bullion coins after the initial enthusiasm wears off....spot dependent to some degree. Though, I keep in mind that the Perth Lunar series is extremely popular and the 1 oz bullion is only minted to 300,000....quite low compared to many other bullion coins like Maple Leaf, ASE, etc.

As for spot price being lower. in Sept / October...I sure hope you are right....I am still looking to buy and lower prices would definitely be better for us buyers.