2 days of rain, hundreds of dead phone lines

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Big A.D., May 27, 2013.

1. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

I love these real world examples. $60Billion spent so far? I stopped counting. Yet:

2. Emanance

Emanance Guest

Xbox 360 Console...$299.00

Premium Copy of Battlefield 3 for Xbox 360...$79.00

$60 Billion so I can have a lag free game of BF3...Priceless :)

There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's the ALP.

3. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

NBN to our home is completely pointless. We disconnected from landlines nearly a decade ago (well before the current government was even a KRuddy twit's wet dream) and haven't looked back since. But I feel all warm and fuzzy knowing that any day now people'll be able to download more pirated TV-on-demand without adverts and internet boobies faster in 5 minutes than they could ever watch in their lifetime and finally get to enjoy midget Armenian bukkake slaves with donkeys in high definition 3D with Dolby 7.1 surround sound. It'll give the people on welfare something to do besides beating their wives while waiting for their next paycheck, the priests can have something else to do besides molesting kids out of boredom and the old age pensioners can play virtual bowls with homemade spinach beer (cause they sure as f**k can't afford to go to the club anymore).

4. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

I've never been an ALP supporter.

But the NBN has to happen.

Unfortunately the roll-out has been a shambles in the making. Whoever decided to do small regional pissy little towns and not starting from the CBDs and working out is a dickhead.

The only way you're going to get massive uptake is if you install the fibre in places where people WANT it and will consume it. This also helps the initial return they'll receive from more services switching on.

5. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That's been the business plan of people like iiNet and was guaranteed to keep happening but Conroy threw a hissy fit at Telstra and got all fascist on their arse after jotting some notes down on a napkin.

6. Fykus

Fykus Member Silver Stacker

blame the independents

7. Greenman

Greenman Member Silver Stacker

I don't like labor very much.

8. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I hate government

9. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

RM.. !00% right..Roll out the NBN starting at the CDB's...This generates a far better broadband speed for banks and business that require speed to do share transactions, even if computers have taken over this task.

Downloading videos and movies should not be the motive for having fibre broadband.

As the monies come in from the cities then you expand it to regional cities and small towns..Country areas should be last. I live in a country area and I am quite happy with my internet speed..If I was on the land, I feel sure that I could check the markets and get up to date info on new farm techniques.

Regards Errol 43

10. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That would be one of the world's most experienced network engineering executives and it was decided that since services in regional areas tend to suck, it was a good idea to fix them first and bring the bush into the 21st century (in line with what the major parties have been promising to do since Telstra was privatised and failed at.) Or in other words, if everyone is getting upgraded then the people in regional areas stuck on 128 kbps ISDN should be given a higher priority than people in cities who can get up to 24 Mbps on ADSL2+ (although nobody is getting the full 24 Mbps because it's delivered over copper wire that may be weak, corroded, periodically submerged in water or too far from the exchange so the bits get puffed out trying to travel over long distances).

The NBN will ultimately get a massive uptake because it will cover the entire country and replace all the copper that everyone is using now.

11. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

"smartest guys in the room"

12. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Could be the basis for an economic dissertation there - at what point does a country become so modern that it loses the ability to cope with events?

13. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And there will be a high speed rail link from Melbourne to Brisbane by the time that happens.

Whether the roll-out appears in isolated rural areas or the cities first is not a technical decision, it is a social and political decision, nothing to do with the opinions of a network engineer.

And even the world's most experienced network engineer won't get anything done when the project is being overseen by Labor and a communications minister who only learned to send an email 3 years ago and sub-contractors who are leaving the project in droves to avoid bankruptcy.

14. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

You know shiney thats a very good question . & one that deserves some consideration . With all the computer based systems around all you need is an outage of the net & a lot of things will be stiffed not to mention the ability to hack systems & cyber criminals to infiltrate such systems .Its a real concern imo & one that hasnt been given nearly enough thought from tptb in the rush to modernise everything

15. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

@maggs, raining again :( abt 2 inches

16. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix New Member Silver Stacker

Ummm. Yes (Duh)

For example, Gillard recently told the FreeTV people to institute a voluntary ban on live betting odds during sporting events or she would push legislation through to do it for them. The response? "Yes, Prime Minister. We'll get it (the voluntary ban) written out to your satisfaction within the next two weeks".

Long live central planning, Comrades. It leads to a better life - from you according to your ability, to you according to what we perceive you need (which ain't much, mate. Awright?!) (Where's that bloody "Sarc" smiley gone??)

17. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

Are there any links to articles about subcontractor problems, Jonesy. I would be keen to read them.

EDIT

Cancel that, found some myself:

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/news/2013/5/21/nbn-buzz/nbn-subcontractor-decries-pay-conditions (Good comments below article)

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...-cover-our-costs/story-e6frgaif-1226630368996 (From the horses/subcontractors mouth)

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/aus...-word-on-nbn-pay/story-e6frgakx-1226648745600

What a threat! I'm sure they're quaking in their boots

And my favourite, even though it's the worst: NBN construction exposes residents/children to asbestos

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...bestos-nightmare/story-e6frg6n6-1226653326442