Can i sell silver in years to come?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by pokerfien, May 14, 2013.

1. pokerfien

pokerfien New Member

If silver reaches previous highs would it be as simple as walking into abc bullion or perth mint or any metal dealers and selling for the daily price?
    I ask because it seems when prices where down no body could buy physical silver and most dealers where saying they had none when most beleive that they just did not want to sell at such low prices and take a loss. So would it be the same when prices reach ultimate highs? will we be able to sell our silver or will most dealers refuse to buy ?? can they refuse?

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Higher prices are fuel to buyers... you will have a harder time selling @$23 then selling @$75 or whatever.

3. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If the higher prices were stable for some time I think it would be business as usual, and selling shouldn't be a problem. However if it were a sudden rise, you may have trouble realising anything near spot price, but you should still be able to sell at a discount.

4. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Umm look at what happened @near $50... junk was regularly going for over spot... no discount needed

5. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Someone I know had trouble selling a few 1kg bars to a Sydney dealer when it went above $40 (on its way to $50). The dealer offered $35 per oz.

6. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If the price goes to prices we have never seen before it will be because people buying silver have taken it there, so I believe you will have no trouble selling it.

7. Applesmfc

Applesmfc Member Silver Stacker

Gold sells fine @ $1,450........

It's all worth what people will pay for it.

8. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

If you look at the explosive move silver made 30 years ago you will see that like all parabolic blow offs you will be one of the lucky few to sell at or near the high. If we are looking at another parabolic move in silver in years to come, understand that at the time of the blow off, anybody that has silver will have it and it is the lack of buyers which results in the precipitous collapse. Once the weak hands work this out, the drop extends even further. That is the dynamics of the parabolic rise. If the rise is a fixed gradient then that is different.

Watch the rise and liken it to card game 'donkey'. Don't be left holding the donkey. If you believe that silver is going to save the world and silver stackers will be worshipped like gods then good luck.

Sell when the going is good.

9. pug

pug Member

Even if the price reaches a peak high at some point again and some buyers get reluctant for a short time, the price will eventually stabilize at some point. People have always bought and sold silver since Ancient times in human history.

10. tolly_67

very true but there is normally an enormous difference between the peak and the price it settles down to. In 1980 my friend bought 2 1kg bars for $1500 bucks ( about $6000 to $8000 in todays money ) and she proclaimed to me several years ago that she had the worlds most expensive paper weights. It was a financial advisor that told her to buy them.....who would think....

11. bimaco

bimaco New Member

ABC got online prices for buy/sell. For Roos and 1kg Silver bars premium is around $80 atm. They claim that they will buy it, but I think that anyone can refuse for any reason anyway.

12. pug

pug Member

Financial advsors did worse to us in 2008. You buy stock to invest in good profitable companies in 2008... 5 years later you've lost 90% of your initial investment. And S&P rates them 5/5 stars.

Do you think silver could ever lose 90% of it's current value?

13. tolly_67

90% wow thats rough....as for silver going back to 3 bucks...highly unlikely ( I didn't say no so I am covered if it does )...I would not be suprised to see it back in the teens though.

14. Aengrod

Aengrod Member

90% of value ? No. 90% of price? Yes.

15. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

Depends on how high you will sell silver and how the charts look by then...

Silver is extremely volatile...

So when you sell it, don't just look at how high it is, but take account of the trend: will you be selling it when silver will start correcting downwards? Or, will you sell it BEFORE is starts pulling back substantially?

If I were you I'd sell high, but while I'm sure it'll still go high. Don't wait for the peak to "bend backwards", then your bullion dealer might not want to buy it from you!

eBay might be another good place to sell. Although, much of your money will go on listing and transaction fees.
    eBay prices are still quite high and there's a vast number of people willing to pay way above spot on eBay.