Help with travelling with gold via Singapore stopover

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Macros_The_Black, May 13, 2013.

1. Macros_The_Black

Macros_The_Black Member Silver Stacker

If anyone has had experience with this, feel free to post here or PM if you wish to be more discrete.

I'm looking for some advice if travelling internationally and carrying gold on one's person when a Singapore stopover is in the itinerary (for a few days).

Here are some facts to assist:

- I know that GST on pure bullion is no longer levied (see list below).

- The gold will be in 1oz coins (pure bullion eg Maples, Philly, Nugget).

- The total gold may exceed 1/2 kilo and require customs personal effects clearance.

- Entry and exit is by plane.

I cannot seem to see any forms on the SG Customs site for either the GST exemption (if indeed needed - looks like it is) OR what do do for the customs permit for clearance. Or when the forms are available eg on the plane?

What happens if the amount IS over 0.5Kg? Will they require anything else? To sight the bullion? Tax? Interrogation?

Has anyone done this before (and since Oct 2012 when the GST was abolished)? If so, love some tips. I will also email the SG Customs direct and ask.

Here's the info copied from the SG Customs site:

http://www.customs.gov.sg/leftNav/trav/Customs+Clearance+Procedure.htm

http://www.customs.gov.sg/NR/exeres...A-801B46DDE73C,frameless.htm?NRMODE=Published

And this from a Singapore bullion dealer's website which has a neat list of the obvious bullion that is acceptable (I've only listed the coins):

Thanks!

2. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Would be interested in knowing the outcome of this.

3. blesbok

blesbok Member Silver Stacker

4. Macros_The_Black

Thanks for the link that, was interesting reading though obviously doesn't apply to the Singapore jurisdiction which the info I need.

Haven't heard back from SG Customs yet, but when I do, I'll post that back here for you Philber (and any other info I dig up).

It doesn't need to be hidden/disguised, it's a compliance-with-rules-and-avoid-over-zealous-time-consuming-bureaucracy question I believe.

5. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

I have done SIN at least 6 times this year, I have had my bags scanned once and I put that down to having a beard at the time ;)

I am taking 1kg of silver to a stacker there end of this month so potentially can report back then?

6. Macros_The_Black

Tnx mate - did you have any PMs at all on you for those trips?

The KG AG should reveal the same process required as for gold (since they don't put a monetary value on it - though in some places they say 'over SG$400', it looks more like it's reportable if over 0.5Kg.)

Your time frame should work actually, that would be great!

Cheers,

MTB

7. Emanance

Emanance Guest

Macros, if your coinage is just on half a kilo of gold in 1oz coins you would have perhaps 16 or 17 coins on you. I'd say this amount of coins is not unusual for many people to have on hand in their wallets or purses when taking a flight. Couldn't you place each coin in a airtight capsule so they don't scratch each other then place them in a wallet. If you think your hip pocket will be weighted down too much and make you walk with a limp, get one of those fancy 'man bags' or 'messenger bags' and send your wallet on through the x-ray machine inside the bag. Although it would look better if you could put it in the tray at the same time as your keys, mobile, belt, watch and wedding ring.
    If they pick up on the gold coins, just reason with them that at face value, your currency has not exceeded the $10,000 limit. You have done nothing wrong. If you are travelling with the missus, you could load her purse up in a similar manner. Double golden mule style :).

8. Macros_The_Black

Tnx Emanance (& hi, long time no see),

Yeah it's not me travelling, but that would be the plan in essence and wouldn't be an issue for example arriving in Oz.

But Singapore has this 0.5Kg rule and I'd be nervous in the event that a shakedown in the "Green Channel" revealing more than that undeclared could mean an orificial inspection, which i know would not please the traveller in question.

I'm just trying to figure out what they actually DO with the declaration (and presumably this is the slip of paper given on the plane).

For example, plenty of times coming into Oz I've declared fudge from the UK (we have a soft spot for it). They don't even want to see it, but smile and tell me to move on. (BTW this is a convenient way to bypass the queues at the 'nothing to declare'). I'm wondering if SG is the same kind of thing, or whether they want to see ongoing travel docs out; personal receipts; stat decs that you are not a criminal (haha) ... who knows.

But hiho can be my guinea-pig bitch.

9. Emanance

Emanance Guest

Yeah been a while Macros :).
    I just found this article that talks about a vault facility that has terminal access to Changi Airport http://www.wealthwire.com/news/metals/2745

It's called the Singapore Freeport http://www.singaporefreeport.com/

Sure sounds fancy & expensive, however I'm thinking if a facility like this exists opposite Changi Airport:

1) You would have to be able to move a ship load of gold in or out of Singapore via international flights.
    2) If anybody would know the ins & outs of Singapore's custom requirements, it would have to be these would be the guys. http://www.singaporefreeport.com/#/contact

Really curious how this pans out for you Macros.

10. Macros_The_Black

^^^ Nice one Em! That's an excellent idea, ask those guys. Onto it.

:cool:

11. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi macros.

Just realized I have a friend working for the Customs dept. Will drop him a msg after lunch and update later.

12. Macros_The_Black

Awesome, that would be great, thank you v much (it will help hiho too).

Strangely I was just reading your post on the 'international swap is it worth it' thread and considering asking your opinion.

Thanks again,

Macros

13. Macros_The_Black

Hi Altima - any feedback from your friend?

SG Customs have not replied to my email yet either :(

14. Altima

Hi macros. Apologies for the late reply. My friend only deals in exports so wasn't able to provide additional info than what was already stated on the website.

It is strange that they haven't replied to your email. I'll see if I can give them a call. Should be quicker that way.

15. Altima

Okay so I gave the Customs office at Changi Airport a call.

If you have more than 0.5kg of IPMs with you, you are required to go to the Customs Office located at each of the terminals, to declare the IPMs and basically apply for a Customs Permit on the spot. This process will take at least an hour, to fill up the necessary paperwork etc.

On the other hand, you could avoid the long wait at the Customs Office if you apply for a Customs Permit before landing in Singapore by contacting any of the Declaring Agents. The list can be found below:

http://www.customs.gov.sg/NR/rdonly...3/21436/listofdeclaringagentsinSCwebsite1.pdf

I haven't personally dealt with a Declaring Agent so you could drop them an email to ask more on applying for a Customs Permit.

Hope this helps!

16. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Yes I'm paranoid but would it be a good idea to inform people in advance that you will be travelling with a considerable amount of PMs ?
    You don't know who might have access to your form between the declaring agent and the customs office and who they might know.

17. Macros_The_Black

Sensational! I owe you one, very helpful and you really have gone out of your way to help.

Just the info I needed.

I agree with trew that discretion might outweigh the hour spent. Flagging too far in advance traveling with more than 0.5Kg of gold might not be smart ...

Thanks a lot!

18. Altima

No problem!

Maybe it would be better if your friend "didn't have" any gold on him/her. Would make it so much easier. Hehe

19. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

Me too, I'd like to see the outcome of this.
    Some countries simply don't allow more than a few grams of gold to be carried in-out. In Europe they charge VAT in many countries... Carrying it around is made very hard.

20. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Up to half a kilo of gold is actually pretty awesome! That's a lot of money already.