The big trip.

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by southerncross, Apr 28, 2013.

1. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So in about six weeks me and the family are taking a trip from Cairns over to the Kimberly's through the Gibb River Rd, up to Port Warrender near Kulumbaru down through Derby-Halls creek to the Bungles and then on down the Tanami track to Alice and Ayers rock/Olgas and then back home via the Sandover highway and sights inbetween.

The family is me and the boss lady two of the younger kids 8 & 4 (girls) and one of the older kids @ 20 (another girl) plus the bro inlaw. Vehicles are two Nissan patrols, a 2005 4.2 DX ute and 2006 4.2 DX wagon.

We plan on spending about four weeks all up which is nowhere long enough to see everything along the way but we will be trying to include all the iconic places along the way and a few of the not so well known ones as well having travelled the route a while ago a couple of times though not all in the one trip.

After heaps of discussion (read heated argument) I won out with sleeping quarters not being a camper trailer providing hot and cold running water, built in pedicurist, chef, two story apartment, and satellite television, games room. But in the spirit of peaceful compromise settled for one of these. It actually works quite well after a few set ups and pull downs and the best part is the minister of war and finance actually likes it a lot.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQsC1WniIAo[/youtube]

Storage in lieu of a trailer will come by way of the roofrack and a drawer system about to be fitted along with all the extra space on the back of the brother inlaws ute. Equipment we will be taking includes a Honda geny 1kva inverter , a 40 lt engel and 92 lt primus fridge freezer, accusat epirb, garmin gps, full recovery kits in both vehicles, an assortment of spares that we can save on as both vehicles have interchangeable parts, heaps and heaps of fishing gear, and a shit load of entertainment for the kids.

I will endeavour to post a few pics before liftoff and as many as possible along the way, please feel free to chuck in any tips you think might be helpful especially if you have done this area before.

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Take longer :)

Did NT/WA including the Kimberleys in a 10 week trip (full loop - Melbourne to Adelaide, all the way up to Darwin, Kimberleys, Perth then across the Nullabor). 22,500km trip, which made for some serious long driving days - basically 800-1000km every third day. Did it in a V6 Pajero towing a Kimberley Kamper, which went everywhere except across the King Edward River up near Drysdale - we towed that sucker into the Bungle Bungles before the road was graded, and only scraped the hitch once on one creek crossing on the way in.

If you are going up to Kalumburu, make sure you do the side trip to Mitchell Falls - we didn't make it there, but did visit the aboriginal art site only a couple of kilometres over the King Edward river crossing on the way there from Drysdale - amazing art, and also at least one visible burial site in the rocks that is discreetly fenced off but not signposted - you need to stumble across it to see it. Bit somber seeing human remains including a child's tucked into a rock crevasse.

3. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sounds like a great camping/travelling/prospecting adventure southerncross. Post lots of pics to give us ratrace types the irrates. :)

4. southerncross

M8 I could spend the next ten years up that way seriously , BUT.... it does have to fit in with schooling and work commitments for now :( :( :( We will be doing the Mitchell falls and then heading up to Port Warrender instead of Kulumbaru as we are hoping that there will be less people and more fish due to the nasty track into it. Also the reason we wont be taking a trailer so that we can get into those tight little spots as well. There is never enough time but I plan on plenty for the Art sites up that way, it is one of my passions and I already have plenty of GPS locations logged to look at and photograph ones like this . How does this sort of art happen in Australia ? Deer ? Really ?
    [​IMG]
    Source:http://www.firstlighttravel.com/blog/aboriginal-20000-years-earlier-kimberley-rock-art-suggests/

Cockatoo dreaming site at Keep River N.P is also another one that is a must see as well, me and the missus took a walk out the back of the park back in 2000 and came across a rainbow serpent that was buried up to waist height by sediment and was about 20 mt's long with just the upper curves showing but the Cockatoo dreaming site is just awesome and beats anything I've ever seen in Kakadu and I've been all over Kakadu in my younger years having lived there.
    We plan on doing some of those 1000 Km days but with plenty of rest in between with three to four day camps and mad dashes in between, seeing some of it is a lot better than a trip to Bali or wherever and seeing none of it.

E.M I will be posting updates along the way just to rub it in for you International Roast guzzling types along with plenty of pic's, my only big worry will be missing a state of origin match along the way and working in the dates for a pub viewing of the matches. But feebay has these new fandangled contraptions that can get you watching telly anywhere.
    Now how do I get that without the kids knowing about it ?

5. fiatphoney

fiatphoney New Member

A small trailer is handy for extra food/water on a long remote trip, it keeps center of gravity low on car rather than staking roof rack.

I'd take a small esky to fit one bag of ice in.
    So as to save space in the engel for food, let the ice cool your drinks.
    Techni ice has a ripper small esky that is hardshell.
    Frozen chickens well wrapped are better than ice packs in eskys.

Tyre plug kit.
    Deflate tyres correctly on dirt roads.

I'd take a good silver tarp to provide shade over tent, help kids sleep in a bit longer too.
    Graphite powder helps zips.

Applecidar vinegar/water & rinse for quick sponge bath if showers aren't available - if remote take nappy rash cream.

Give the kids a whistle/mini torch to attach to their belt.
    Hammock doubles as swing, and lounge.

Put compression bandages in hike packs. For snakes/sprains.

Don't use garden hose for drinking water for filling, get the blue hose.

A NTAA premium membership will give you a free 200km tow with trailer, for ANY vehicle you are in. Cheaper than other states if you check.

I like lpg wok burners.
    Take a roll of alfoil to lay out over public BBQ's hotplate.

Sparklers. Domestos for the cane toads, so they tell me.

Just watch out for NT drop bears, don't forget vegemite on back of neck.

[​IMG]

6. southerncross

Thanks fiatphoney , got nearly all of that covered especially the eskys with about 400 lts of space all up, the bro inlaw is carting most of the heavy stuff on the back of the ute and the rack will only be for light stuff such as sleeping gear etc. The missus loved the whistle idea and I've been ordered to obtain blue water hose, apple cider is already in the kit along with nearly all the other points you mentioned. Great advice.
    As a side note to all, consider rear drawer systems and fridge size as a total package and not just separate purchases, It's all well and good having a friggin huge fridge/freezer but if you cant open the bastard once it's on top of your drawer system welll...... you get the idea. It was all good till I realised the finished height of it all, mmmm three centimetres to open the lids just ain't gonna work.

7. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

pm marsi & ask if you can take old ted with you

8. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Give all nuts and bolts on any accessories fitted eg roof racks, spotlights, spectacles and testacles the loctite or lockthread treatment. They will come loose otherwise. When we drove the Gibb River Road (15 years ago) we drove on the other side ie right hand side to avoid as many corrugations a possible. Don't know if it is any worse or better, but it is best to drive against the flow. Also, pack a fishing rod and some opera house yabby pots and have some "man" time. There are some decent freshwater prawns, I think they call them girlfriends in WA, you'll have to ask 46 for clarification on that matter. ;)

9. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

My only thought would be to look at the communications and possible add a Sat Phone as purely an emergency backup. You can get plans were txt are included.

Some hand held radios are good between cars etc... but have limited distance.

Sounds awesome.

10. Trichter

Trichter Member

Sounds like you've thought everything out well. I like your sleeping arrangements. Enjoy your trip ... sounds fun.

See PMs.

11. southerncross

Thanks for the replys people and the very kind offer from Trichter as well, Much appreciated M8.

So we've got the drawer system sorted with a custom build from Outback 4WD Interiors here in Cairns so that our humongous fridge will be able to be utilised and we can still have good storage space in the back of the wagon as well, the unit should be ready for installing in about three weeks hopefully. Both vehicles are already fitted with GME TX4500 radios and we also have a couple of Icom 5 watt waterproof handhelds we use for mustering etc and always take along on camping trips so we can order fresh ice, drinks and food from the campsite while fishing (more often than not though it is so we can get called back from fishing on a whim by you know who).

The bro inlaw is a qualified mechanic and we are currently working through a decent spares list for the vehicles, although both are the same make and model there are some differences between the wagon and the ute but overall we can mix and match which will save us some dosh on providing spare parts and we already have a good provision of the basics from previous trips and wont need to buy extra tools or things like puncture repair gear , compressors, wheel studs, bearings etc.

Austacker, we are still tossing up on a sat phone, we have radio comms and also a gps pbl on board one of the vehicles along with optus and telstra mobile. All four adults are up to date on first aid and our main medkit is (and I) able to provide for emergency trachs even, but I am always of the mind that if you prepare for it you wont need it and if you don't you just might. Then again while we might be remote we wont really be out there in absolute no man's land and in reality the furtherest away from some form of emergency help will be only around 500 km, that said though everything comes down to preparation huh and to be honest I really wouldn't want to be caught wanting if one of my kids life depended on it so I am considering a rental for now just for that, you never know unexpected circumstance, for that you coulda woulda shoulda moment.

shiney, The fishing aspect is totally sorted M8, except for the boat :( but I am blaming that on a couple who conveniently got themselves unexpectedly pregnant as an excuse not to come. We have had this planned for a good 8 months and they were keen as mustard until they found out they were expecting in July/August this year..... Way to go guy's (you know who you are too) Like... you can't just have a baby any other time... bleh . Anyways got it timed perfectly for the moon/tide cycle for up at Port Warrender and have also decide to ditch the run from Alice Springs up through the Sandover for a quick sprint back up the Stuart Highway and then up through the gulf instead for some more fishing at Borroloola, Burketown and Normanton + places in between. Yabbies will only be of interest as bait M8, I can get kilos of them from the creek at the back of the farm, the last effort yielded half a garbage bin full (and still got 10 kg in the freezer).
    This trip is all about hand sized Black lip Oysters, Barra, Mudcrabs, Mangrove Jack, Salmon, and all those other tasty critters. 100 pound handlines for dinner and lighter tackle for fun.

All in all preps are going well so far and am just about to lay down another 50 litres of sugar wash to run through the still so as to enjoy the great outdoors with a variety of home made cocktails and grog on the cheap while wondering what the rich people are doing.

12. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

My 2 cents worth, from my own experience . At the end of the day, pause. Connect with yr beliefs and values. Take a moment. Now, would it be worth staying or going on? Take yr time . Go knowing that even if the decision you made wasn't right, it's ok. The destination isn't what counts , it's the journey .

13. southerncross

I'm right with you there Oz, after all, the destination when it comes down to it in the end is right back where we started from and it's all the bits in between that are the highlights and the actual journey and adventure. Along with quite a bit of reminiscing for me and (ahem) handbrake/Rock this is also for our youngest so that they can experience and explore outside their own comfort zone so to speak. You can see all the pictures you want of this or that but to be actually there and standing in front of something like the Olgas or the Echidna chasm in the bungles or even Ayers rock is no substitute for a picture nor is the experience of actually getting there, the lush gorges and rainforest covered peaks around Cairns are a complete other world compared to the stark landscapes of the barkly or the spinifex of the great sandy desert.
    Time unfortunately though is a currency we need to keep a good control of but as the old adage go's "better to have seen and liked rather than to never have seen at all huh". (or something like that)

We have more times for sure (hopefully) but it is something I would like to give the youngin's a glimpse of before they lose the wonder that comes with youth and before they become jaded with age in their young twenty's .

Some people still feel a connection with pristine nature as something that is natural and that is a part of them, something that belongs. My older kids still know (mostly) it and it is something I hope will also be imbued in my younger ones. (shit I will make sure of it).

Thanks for the wake up Oz.

14. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

Dont forget yer border permits S X . We'er pretty chosey who we let into W A. Mum and the kids will be ok but you might struggle. :lol:.
    Then again I could talk to my mates on the fruitfly duty and arrange for one more blow in. :p

15. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

M8 old Ted is here in Perth visiting his families.
    Too late mate.
    Anyway good to hear he is that popular.
    His adventure has begin.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

16. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

SX...You say you freeze the yabbies? First time I've heard of such a practice!

Are they still as good as the live ones for fishing?

Have a great trip M8.

Regards Errol 43

17. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A cast net for live bait. (Not sure if they are legal in WA but NT is :cool:

Nothing better than a livy 3m under a float but...watch out for the crocks! "Seriously" Got lined-up several times fishing the Vic river North of Timber creek! :|

H

18. southerncross

Hey Holdfast

Throw net is already in the kit, I grew up in Katherine and Darwin and we used to do long weekends on the Vic river at a place called Policemans point near Timber creek, back then Croc's were more scared of us then we were of them, though I did very nearly get eaten by one when a kid swimming in the middle of the creek where it flows into the Victoria river. Apparently a licence is required to use a fucking throw net now in WA so thanks very much for the heads up there M8.

Was just about at the top left of this picture [​IMG]
    Source:

Butch me old M8 you tired old furniture humper you, where the hell you been ? We got stung after buying a heap of fresh veggies in Katherine and then heading to the border. We got talking to some old grey nomads at keep river national park just on the NT side of the border who told us about the quarantine station on the highway, so they ended up scoring all of our fresh fruit and veggies and we were suss on them all the way until we got to the border, mind you we still managed to get all of our green and gold ;) through by discreet means. I totally agree with the quarantine procedures in place given the agriculture going on up there in the north but if a mug like yours is accepted mine will be welcomed with open arms.

Yeah Errol we freeze Yabbies, when you catch them in the amounts we do there is nothing else for it, we got 43 kg last time out over three days and didn't even have to try hard, could of been a lot more but we threw all the small ones back (live). They still work good as bait as long as they stay fresh, just don't use a sinker and let them float along the bottom whole or shell them and use the flesh in chunks.

Or dehead the yabbies and split through the body. To a pan on low heat add olive oil then lots of garlic, parsley, coriander, with chilli, ginger and a squirt of lime juice and a generous splash of white wine (or white sambucca) and then simmer down with a good few hundred mils of fresh cream until thickened, add cracked white pepper and salt to taste, add the yabbies and then add boiled fettuccine and serve with a nice salad on the side.

Then eat it while you have some large live bait on set lines , some good music going in the background, a decent drink of choice in your hand, seated in a camping chair by a fire , miles and miles from nowhere. And wonder to yourself what the rich people are doing right now.

19. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Take care mate; plenty of good bush tucker up your way winter time. If you can, find a baby boab tree in a sandy creek line; they're bluddy juicy and nice to eat raw. Also, there's plenty of berries and stuff this/ your time of the year (Winter). I could show you heaps of tucker to eat up that way but me mate Tim already wrote the book so...lol

Cheers

H

20. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

SX..Are they freshwater or saltwater yabbies. The ones you catch in the dam or the ones you pump on the mud flats.

Regards Errol 43