New to the silver world, just seeking some advice on bars.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Smurfmaster, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Smurfmaster

Smurfmaster New Member

So, Im new into silver stacking. I went to a LCS bought two circulated ASE's for 28.50 each. Finally just popped the cherry. However I dont want to just stack ASEs. I really want to stack bars. However, I do not know which bars command the best resale value (Assuming theyre kept new/like-new). Silvertowne has really cheap generics right now, but would those be sought after as much as say, sunshine bars? I am willing to pay a premium for my silver so long as it is easily transferrable back into FIAT if needed. I do not want to pay Pamp premiums though - thats just overkill for me.

So whats my best option?

2. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

This is not advice. Against forum rules.
    Do a search on Engelhard bars yourself.
    Sorry Im on limited resources.

3. Eruaran

Eruaran Member

I would ask the guys who like stacking bars what they like to stack.

4. mikedm

mikedm New Member

This question reminds me of the scene in 'Apocalypse Now' where Martin Sheen travels up the Nung River and arrives at a medical post to find local grunts tortured by months and years of senseless and horrific events. Shirtless, delirious and unruly, the grunts make insane barking sounds at the new arrival, leaving Sheen to wonder what must have happened to cause all this madness.

Turn back now my friend lest you find yourself any further upstream and into the heart of darkness ($15 dollar silver). The horror, the horror.

:)

5. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

Hello and welcome.
    To answer your question about the cheap generics vs sunshine bars the answer is no. But silver is silver and at the moment stock is slim everwhere.
    I just had a look at the poured bars on Silver towne site. I'd go for them if it were me. I see there offering free shipping on some items though I'd look at that also. Really depends on where your trying to re-sell them at. You LCS shouldn't care. But say your trying to sell on a forum or here the Mardis Gras/Happy Thanksgiving ones I wouldn't touch.
    Engelhard, Johnson Matthey, Argor-Heraeus, Geiger Edelmetalle, Pamp are all top name brands and there are plenty of others.
    If your just starting to stack and it were me I'd buy a sack full of the poured, a few of each size to get a feel for them. But that's just me I like the poured. Again silver is silver, pressed or poured. I know you want bars but you can't go wrong with the ASE's either.
    There's alot of good info here. Have a look around and do plenty of research.
    Sounds to me like what you want may be hard to get your hands on at the moment. Most people are buying right now. Tights hands holding on to the vintage bars such as Engelhard and Johnson Matthey.

Not sure about the above post. Since when is giving advice not allowed here???

6. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Sori my misunderstanding. Advices is fine, as long there is no financial advice.
    See rules.
    You are alright Ironwood.

7. Smurfmaster

Smurfmaster New Member

Well like I said more than anything, I just want to make sure that its easy for me to move silver bars. Whether its a sunshine or a silvertowne, what Im rreally wanting is silver that will easily transfer to FIAT if needed. I really want to get a tube of ASEs, I will probably do that soon, but I also want bars that have near frictionless trade/resell value.

8. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Don't worry about what brand your silver is, silver is silver. Get the cheapest you can find.
    When it comes time to sell it the thing that will control how fast it sells is price.
    If you have a generic bar that is $1 over spot, trust me you will have no trouble moving it on this forum.
    It has worked for me many times, people can not resist cheap silver :)

9. Jrandom

Jrandom New Member

The smaller the weight, the more liquid your silver will be. Not that there is anything wrong with 10oz, kilo, etc. It's just that you will encounter people who don't want larger bars. But people who like big bars also like small ones.

Wider audience to sell too.

I agree with ironwood, stay away from festive designs or colorized coins. Those are targeted towards people who watch the "Home Shopping Network".

10. Smurfmaster

Smurfmaster New Member

Thanks for anyone responding to this thread. Im glad this community is willing to tolerate less knowledgable players like me.

11. pug

pug Member

I'm a newb at this, but here's my 2 cents worth. First off, glad to hear we've got another silverbug on our side. There's strength in numbers. With the latest nuts sell off you need longer term vision into the future and strong hands.

I think that for sure you'll find that its either hard to find a shop with stock, or else they're charging hefty premiums over spot... something like 15% over spot ... and then shipping on top as well. A few weeks ago I recall dealers asking premiums more like 6% on 10oz bars before shipping.

Getting 10oz bars will get you a better price per oz with less premium. 10oz are common, and more liquid than anything larger. 5oz are nice but hard to find.

I personally like tubes of 1oz rounds and coins. It can be sold like a 20oz bar, but each oz is stamped by the mint and can be sold in portions if you want.

Good advise from the others about avoiding the fancy coins unless you want to try to understand numismatics. Stick with .999% silver bullion.

There's quite a few generic bullion producers/mints to choose from. Stay away from fakes. There's a few reports of fake bullion out there. Last year (?) Sunshine Mint introduced a new special reverse side that's tougher to fake.

Normally generic bullion you have, you can get spot from a dealer when you resell. ASE and maples they'll usually offer spot plus 1.

ASE's are just beautful coins regardless, but typically you have to paying quite a hefty premium over spot for them.

Silvertowne typically in the past has been priced with a high premium over spot, but at least included free shipping. Last I checked they were the same price as other dealers and had free shipping. But due to high demand they likely will take forever to ship and arrive at your door.

12. pug

pug Member

LOL this is a good word from the wise.
    Watch out. This site is full of enablers.
    You are embarking down a very expensive road.... you have been warned.

13. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would go for the low premium silver bars. Even though a higher premium bar might carry it's premium, you would have to be careful with it to not damage it and such. Low premium silver will always sell well we resold at a price close to spot. Get more bang for your buck :)

14. Eruaran

Eruaran Member

What does everyone think of 10oz NTR's?

15. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I think they are fine. Don't expect a premium on these though 'cause they don't seem to get them.
    Stack cheap and stack high now while we have the opportunity.

16. Taz03

Taz03 Member

Hi there,

I like 10 oz Scottsdale stacker bars. IMHO, these bars carry a low premium but still nice to look at. Plus, the new ones come with individual serial number, which may gain extra premium when it come to sell.

17. Numismatist

Numismatist New Member

I think very highly of them.

They are easy to store due to protective plastic and its flat shape means that they stack on top of each other easily. However most importantly they are good value compared to other 10oz bars.

I had seriously considered stacking Perth mint 10oz bars instead but they scratch easy and become aesthically shabby hence my preference for NTR bars.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GOP1GvHlKU[/youtube]

18. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

A pack of these is probably about a dollar:

[​IMG]

19. khmerog

khmerog New Member

LOL..That is one of the best comments I have read. I love Apocalypse Now even more as I own it on Blu-Ray now. The horror, the horror.