Coin bags to store .999

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Andy28, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

I use resealable plastic. Excellent but not airtite. Cheap and like thin film.
    Pm me for free sample. Im not selling but for own consumption.
    I also use for capsules stop it from scratching each other and finger print.
    Chip

2. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

That green is probably copper 'oxidation', so it must be the 10% copper in the 90% junk coins on the picture.
    I searched for this:
    http://coins.about.com/od/caringforcoins/f/pvc_damage_faq.htm.
    PVC damage on coins is the result of improperly storing coins in soft plastic flips. The PVC chemical in the flips interacts with the metal of the coin, creating a slightly acidic reaction, which causes residual deposits to appear on the coin's surface. Copper coins are most vulnerable to PVC damage, followed by silver, and then gold and platinum.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002496.htm
    Swallowing large amounts of copper may cause vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and yellow skin (jaundice). Touching large amounts of copper can result in hair discoloration (green).

So even your hair gets green if you have too much junk bags.

3. Dustin

Dustin New Member

fwiw, the plastic in the picture around the NTR bars looks the same as the plastic around my scottsdale reserve bars...when you go to smell it, it's almost the smell of a pool toy..I would assume it's the same material, making me also assume that it will have no negative effects on my silver. I doubt that both NTR and Scottsdale would use materials known to damage silver. I would agree with Pirocco, it must react with the copper.

4. Nik

Nik New Member

Wanting a capsule that fits the coin it is intended for isn't 'high maintainance', its called wanting the right product. Its like when your buying new clothes - you want something that fits you, and not something two sizes smaller than what you need. Same applies with capsules. Think before you talk.

5. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So what coins do you need capsules for ?

6. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Don't store silver in paper, as the chemicals can leach and damage the metal.

It is also well known that PVC will damage silver. When heat and light act upon PVC, it breaks down chemically and hydrochloric acid is released. This, in turn, can cause chemical damage to the surface of the coins that the holders are supposed to be protecting.

Often, plasticizers are used to enhance the chemical properties of PVC holders, and these can ooze out and form an oily film upon the coins, greasing the skids for still further damage.

There is a simple test you can perform to find out for sure, although you will probably need a spare tube or flip, as the test is destructive.

This test determines whether a plastic contains PVC or polyvinylidene chloride, both chlorine-containing plastics. To carry out the test you will need a small propane torch and a copper wire.

1. Heat the copper wire in the flame of the torch until it burns cleanly. (Make sure you are not holding the wire in your hand or it will burn!) This serves to burn off any unwanted residues that might be on the wire.

2. Touch the hot wire to the coin tube so that some of the tube melts and sticks to the wire.

3. Put the wire back into the flame.

If the flame burns yellow or clear, no PVC present. If the flame burns bright green, then some PVC is present.

Copper by itself burns cleanly, but produces a green flame (copper chloride) when combined with a compound containing chlorine ( e.g., PVC)

7. Nik

Nik New Member

Thanks, wrcmad. That was an interesting post. I'll definatly look further into what you have said when I get time.

8. dcl

dcl Member

I've got some silver stored in plastic sandwich bags, I'm guessing this is bad?

I figured air tight in a dark place would be good, but perhaps I can find a better container for it.

9. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I am led to believe anything Food grade is Poly something ? which is safe for storage and doesn't leech. Sandwich bags fit into this option.

10. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1

11. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

ok like i SAID, i have personally got all the coins he mentioned and have put them in either air-tite H39 or H40.6 capsules and they fit great

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/9212_img_1948.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

the guy brought the wrong airtites

instead of buying the H model

this forum doesnt need high maintenence new members like you guys giving attitued to people trying to help

so yeah like you said about the thinking

12. Nik

Nik New Member

air-tites.com says the coins I listed will fit into the I model captules, but the dimensions of the capsules are smaller than the coins claimed the capsules are mean't for. Your opinion that they are 'great' is based on your tollerance of quality. Your obviously squashing them in or putting coins in them that are much smaller and as a result get rattling. Maths doesn't lie.

If you bothered to do you research, you would know that air-tites.com states that I model cases are suitable for the coins I specified, and would realise their website his wrong.

No, what this forum doesn't need is people like you going around talking shit and giving innacurate informtion about products you don't even bother researching. Unlike you, I research everything I say and make sure to the best of my ability that I what I say is correct, and I don't go around insulting people because I disagree with them.

13. DanielM

ok then, buying the products from the company mentioned, owning the coins mentioned and then putting them together to realise that hey the fit great doesnt compare to your research, then i guess you MUST win

14. DanielM

15. Nik

Nik New Member

I model specification states it has an inner depth of 2.92mm.
    Source: http://www.air-tites.com/air-tite_capsule_measurements.htm#.UXY78NfT2kA

air-tites.com coin size chart says the following coins fit in the I model:

Austria Philharmonic; Britannia; Panda; Mexican Libertad; American Eagle

Source: http://www.air-tites.com/coin_size_chart.htm

Here are the dimensions of the above coins in thickness:

Austria Philharmonic - 3.2mm
    Britannia - 3.1mm
    Panda - 3.42mm
    Mexican Libertad - 3.6-4mm
    American Eagle - 2.98mm

So, seing the I model capsule depth is only 2.92mm, how are these coins going to fit in the I model capsule? They can't!

I don't know what your doing to get your coins into your capsules, but according to the official dimensions, it is impossible - at least in a way of using the capsules on how their intended to be used.

16. spannermonkey

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    I see what the problem is ;)

AND I"M NOT TELLING :p
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

17. DanielM

So do I, the whole I/H thing, I just still cannot find where it says the I model is good

18. spannermonkey

I think his now a " QUALIFIED IDIOT " :(

19. DanielM

I didn't say they would fit in the I model, I said the H model is good and I STILL cannot find where it says the I model IS FOR those coins

20. Nik

Nik New Member

Its not directly said, I had to figure it out myself (hence my reference to this website being a shit dump)

I.E: If you go down to the 1 oz. Philharmonic Silver coin and click on the matching capsule "Ring Type Air-Tite - 37mm" URL, you will see it takes you to the I model capsule:

http://www.air-tites.com/Air-Tite_Ring_Type_Coin_Holders_1.htm#I_Model