Dealers - what can you report?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Matthew 26:14, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Kawa

Kawa New Member

Spannermonkey hahah..forum sponsor hahah

2. justin007

justin007 Member

:lol:eek:h dear

3. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

The website prices are about the best you can get generally. It's all well and good listing (and updating) an item at a price that can't be beat but when you can not deliver yourself then is it a fair market price?

I say no.

Therefore the only time his site should be used is right before you call him up to ask for availability, it's a website for 1 business, not the markets price check.
    It seems like a dated service to me, but again, it's a service some prefer so you can't dismiss it as wrong - just different.

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Guys, W Davis is across the road from my office, and I was a customer of his before Silver Stackers was even around.

Not once has Peter failed to honour a price on his website if he has had an item on the list available. It is a reference price list for a metal trader working out of an office in Melbourne that serves walk-in customers, it's not an online store. If he has an item in stock, it's price is on the list, update throughout the day. The reverse situation would be people complaining he doesn't disclose prices and he was making them up on the spot or something if he didn't have this list.

How good is he at honouring these prices? Well I once bought some 1/10oz and 1/4oz proof Series I gold snakes off him - at his listed bullion prices. People say gold is gold. To this man it is, and it's sold as such.

Let's not forget another famous example of a price list that's not a stock list. Anyone tried to buy a platinum koala from this mob lately? I mean, they have a published price for it... (Edit - actually, they've finally taken down prices on them!)

http://www.perthmint.com.au/metalprices.aspx

5. Alfie

Alfie Active Member

Nobody has questioned his integrity and I believe what you are saying is true
    It has been clearly established that its a price list, not a stock list as you pointed out
    My question is aimed specifically at:
    Given these sell prices are often quoted as though they are REAL physical stock items on his site. These prices are then quoted on this forum for price comparison when in fact they are really NOTIONAL prices of items that MAY exist
    So GP, is this misleading, or if its not, why not?

6. goldpelican

They're a good benchmark of market prices. Peter's business isn't a tinpot operation handling a few oz a week. There's nothing notional about the prices - if he's got a Swiss 20 franc, it will be the price on his website. I've got a couple of nice little Numis albums in storage with sovereign collections and USA pre-33 collections that I bought from Peter a coin at a time, at the prices he advertised on the day.

Not sure where this concept of a "notional" price comes from. If he's got it, it's the price he's advertising. I don't know how the hell you can equate clearly listed prices that many members will testify as being honoured on countless occasions as "misleading" in the slightest degree.

7. Alfie

Alfie Active Member

GP
    the word Notional means "Speculative or theoretical"
    Lets go through this example step by step
    !) I see a sell price on his web site for a krugerrand at $1,499 as an example
    2) does this coin exist?(at this stage only the price describes it), does he have it in stock, in theory one can speculate, so I ring him and no he doesn't have it in stock

GP here is the disconnect
    A member looks at his webpage and assumes it exists and uses the price that describes it to assist his/her sales pitch on this forum

3) At no point CAN anyone know if he actually has the krugerrand in stock by merely looking at his web page
    hence the use of the word NOTIONAL
    Lets dispense with semantics
    Given the information above, do you think this is misleading?

8. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Even though this is waaay OT .... Here's what I think Alfie is asking:

If W Davis has Krugerrands listed at a sale price of $1600, but he doesn't have any for sale, in fact nobody in Australia has any Krugs for sale anywhere near that price ... Then someone pops up in a forum and wants to buy Krugs, saying "looking to beat W Davis price of $1600" .... How valid is this?

I say to Alfie, however: If this practice worries you, tell the person posting in the forum: "Have you called W Davis, and do they have them in stock?"

9. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Oh geez way to go flogging a dead horse....thaknyou for turning this thread into an abortion

10. Kawa

Kawa New Member

Who says?

I think it's very informative.

11. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Then start another thread :)

The original idea of this thread is to hear of volume of sales from bullion dealers, not arguing semantics or whether price lists are misleading.

It would be great to have informative threads of reference on bullion sales to look back on a few years times instead of well.... this....
    Real information on the ground, 2011 ring a bell?

12. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

The list is not created for others to base their prices on - it is a list of prices that Peter will honor.

Personally I think if you have a stock standard Krug you're doing well selling it for Peter's sell price.
    If you've got something with numi premium that is a different story.

13. goldpelican

No I don't think it's misleading. It's a published price list which is honoured by the business that publishes it when there is stock to match.

If to follow the example, someone wants to get Krugerrands at a cheaper price than advertised on the W Davis website, if the market doesn't supply one, then you've got price discovery in action. I've paid more than the listed prices on there for stuff when buying elsewhere, especially some coins I chase like pre-33 $10 Eagles.

Maybe it's misleading for people to use the price list as a "must be cheaper than" reference point. That's not W Davis's fault.

Back OT, been bloody busy. Friday was quieter than Thursday. Looking forward to a heap of the yellow stuff arriving to replenish.

14. Kawa

Kawa New Member

Its the fuckin internet pal.
    It doesn't get rolled out on neat rolls like your ass paper.

15. goldpelican

Settle.

But that's a good line for future quoting :p

16. Kawa

Kawa New Member

With the number of clenched bum cheaks in the current market.

The Ass Roll market would be under pressure big time.

17. Alfie

Alfie Active Member

Trew said
    Don't really know how to respond to you Trew without being rude but i'll try not to
    The issue has NOTHING to do with the purpose for which list was originally created, whether Peter will honor it, and surprisingly Trew, bugger all to do with a krugerrand numi or otherwise!
    It DOES have something to do with, you said it WHAT OTHER PEOPLE DO WITH THE PRICE LIST because.....drum roll
    Items on the PRICE list MAY NOT EXIST, this point is important because when selling an item, say a krugerrand on this forum quoting that price, referring to something that may not exist is troublesome at least and misleading at best
    I do agree with GP, this has gone off topic, I can only say I'm pleased that some of you get what I'm poorly trying to describe
    Cheers
    SAlfie

18. trew

Look insult me if you have to but please EXPLAIN WHAT YOU MEAN.

Give a scenario where somebody might lose out by referring to a price on that list.
    Only one I could think of is if you are trying to sell a Krug and you want more than Peter's sell price

I can't see what is misleading in your example quoted
    if a seller is willing to sell a Krug at Peter's sell price, do you think the buyer is being ripped off because Peter doesn't have one for sale ?

19. Alfie

Alfie Active Member

Hi Trew
    I'm not trying to insult you, please accept my apologies if you think I have
    Rbaggio and Garnet have said it better than I can, so perhaps have a read of their posts
    Cheers
    Alfie

20. trew

I didn't say you insulted me - I just want to understand what everybody is going on about

The only scenario rbaggio has painted is the one I mentioned.
    Somebody selling a Krug wants more than Peter's asking price and the buyer wants to pay less so points to Peter's list.
    The implication here is that the seller should be able to get more if they are harder to get hold of and Peter doesn't have any.

My response is that Krugs are standard bullion coins and I still think Peter's price is valid, even if he doesn't have any.
    If a seller can get Peter's sell price for a Krug they will be doing well - you won't find any dealer willing to pay that much for a Krug.
    But that is just my opinion.