OUT OF PHYSICAL SILVER???

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Byrnsy, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Byrnsy

Byrnsy New Member

Anyone else having trouble finding physical silver. Even with the insane premiums all of my local bullion shops now have 4 week delays on order's. I am located in South California.

WTF is going on. I thought demand was suppose to raise prices?

2. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

I've just been looking on APMEX.com and anything with a low-ish premium is out

3. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. pug

pug Member

IMHO I think there are some companies are "out of stock" because they refuse to sell at current prices.

Either they don't want to sell at a loss, or their provider isn't selling to them at current prices.

I don't think it's necessarily all because every bit of available supply has been bought up.

I'm purely guessing on this however.

5. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Bargain hunters I guess .. but what will buyers reactions be if PMs crash further and don't show signs of recovery ?
    Just because prices appear low today from their lofty highs doesn't guarantee a return in the future.
    My stack is worth 40% less than it cost and at the time I was very pleased with my purchases.
    Now regretting getting into silver big time but still hooked as it is addictive.
    Need to get into silver rehab !!

6. Greenman

Greenman Member Silver Stacker

Chin up.

7. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I agree and there are idiots here claiming to be happy and "back the truck up" madness

8. finchy

finchy New Member

Time will tell who the supposed " idiots " are ..

Give it 2-5 years and youll be a happy camper,no doubts about it.

9. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

from what I have seen silver has done nothing but go down sense the high of 49ish, granted CDF traders can make money on silver dips and rallies as it goes down, but long term holders who have been buying sense 2011 are in the toilet.

for me silver is becoming a very bad bet, gold is my choice of metal, much better for many reasons, granted this game is 100% about timing and if people are not alert we all know what can happen, then when price drops we have to hedge the Perth mint etc... sounds like the little stacker gets screw from all directions to much for my liking.

10. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Maybe!
    Hopefully

11. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

What's to be unhappy about? Unless you're converting your physical holdings to fiat now, you're really talking about a theoretical (paper) loss.

Let's assume you have 500oz silver now, that you purchased at $37.50/oz, and now that silver is worth $22.50/oz (I'm rounding out numbers here to make the math simple). If you purchase another 500oz now, that brings your average cost to $30.00/oz.

When the price recovers to higher levels, your "profit" begins at $30.01/oz rather than $37.51/oz.

Hence why a number of people are happy, and are talking about "backing up the truck".

As a final note, if I may, it's pretty clear that you're referring to some here as "idiots"... a differing opinion to your own doesn't automatically make someone an idiot, much less wrong, so it might be an idea to show a modicum of respect toward the folks that frequent these forums.

12. Byrnsy

Byrnsy New Member

I think it's all about consumption. Whether you believe that inflation will cause prices to SOAR or NOT. Question is when is it going to tip?

Every computer, laptop, ipad, ipod, iphone, cell phone you name it. Has silver in it. What happens when other growing industrialized countries start wanting what everyone else has?

Silver is estimated to be completely mined by 2028. I feel good having it at any value!!!

13. silver&gold1990

silver&gold1990 New Member

Yeah also I think it's safe to assume a lot of big players in the game would be doing exactly this, selling high and buying low to ensure that their average profit margins are steady. Also the price of silver at those purchased amounts would only have to recover to $33.75/oz and from there onwards you're making twice as much profit. Even lower amounts when you keep buying more and more silver at the lower prices.

14. SharpNshiny

SharpNshiny New Member

I'm not sure, but what I believe (with local coins shops anyway) is, they are pulling inventory off the shelves, they can't turn a profit if they sell for less than they buy. So far all I could find in 3 different coin shops were 11 pre-1965 quarters, and 2 walking liberty halves. I can't blame them but it sucks for the "silver bugs" that are trying to buy in the current dip

15. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Would it be better if your local shops sold at a loss, then go out of business altogether?

16. MaC

MaC New Member

From the perspective of someone with zero holdings it looks to me like silver will be back under $15 by the end of May and it wont rise above that again for 20 years.

The Mayans
    The Meteors
    The end of the world
    Collapse of economies & WW3

It was all fun to talk about and the bubble was pumped hard but its over now...

Everyone has snapped out of the hype and can see the tulips are just tulips...

Think it's hard to buy now????

Give it a couple of months and the forum will be full of threads about no one buying and not being able to sell...

I'm not blinded by the shiny PM's and that's just what i see. I feel for you guys with fat stax that just cant see that its going down and wont be back up for a long long time.

17. doomsday surprise

doomsday surprise Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

why are you here? To tell everyone they are stupid? Thanks but most ppl here can work out for themselves whether silver is worth it.

18. Midnight Man

Retail sellers should (at least by and large) have no issue in selling "below cost" - the tactic here would be that for every ounce that is sold now, which is, as you say, below their purchase price, they will simply need to be able to lock in a replacement ounce from their provider at the current lower pricing.

So, for example:

10oz on the shelf originally purchased for (say) $350 from supplier. Customer walks in and wishes to buy, but spot price today dictates that this item will sell for (say) $240.00. This initially looks like a $110.00 loss, but if the store is able to purchase a replacement 10oz unit for current price (which will be, obviously, a little below $240, as a profit margin must exist), then there is no loss, just a deferment of profit (the thinking being that all the stock replaced at current spot price will eventually sell when prices increase, thus generating a profit at that point in time).

This is the exact reason why, when price movements are violent, some dealers will halt purchasing overnight, as they aren't around to lock in orders with suppliers to replace what is being sold.

If, on the other hand, a dealer halts sales completely, then it's an indication that they're getting to the point of being unable to lock in orders for replacement stock at low enough pricing (and not, as some may think, that they're going down the gurgler).

19. Midnight Man

I've snipped the rest of your post for brevity :) Respect your right to hold your opinion on this, but I will respectfully disagree for a number of reasons.

(1) Traditionally, whilst a poorer cousin to gold, silver has been and still is regarded as a precious metal. At some point in time, the currency warfare under way will cause the price of everything, not just silver, to rise (let alone any other reason such as scarcity etc).
    (2) 20 years is a long time, and post-dates the expected exhaustion of in-ground supply of the metal by around 5 years. That alone should see a reasonable increase in price.
    (3) If silver does hit $15 in May - and is actually available at that price (plus reasonable premium) in physical form, I would suggest that the buying frenzy we've seen in the past week will look like a boring, quiet day in comparison.

I'm going to leave this post here, and am subscribing to the thread to check back here in 5-6 weeks time, I'll be most interested to see what the spot price of silver will be at the end of May :)

One qustion I have for you, though, if I may? As you say you're not "blinded by the fat stacks", may I ask what vehicle(s) you're using as an inflation/protection hedge in the face of billions of dollars of currency printing world wide please?

20. SilverAteMyMonies

SilverAteMyMonies New Member

I really hope you're just trolling =D The alternative is pretty sad because you have nothing better to do than join a SILVER STACKING FORUM when you aren't interested in silver. I hear kicking rocks is fun! :D