Any success buying stories at these low prices?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Yippe-Ki-Ya, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Giodor8

Giodor8 Active Member

Pamps are prettier! :)

2. AuAussie

AuAussie New Member

Yeah maybe... but the PMs being a bit chunkier just feel more solid to me when I hug them at night! :p

3. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

I'll 2nd a branch in the Hunter Valley. Will even apply to man it on my days off ;)

4. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

Well I hope you are wrong YKY. I have done some unallocated buying through Goldstackers who state that all purchases are backed by actual metals.
    Perhaps GP could confirm this and allay any fears.

5. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

Goldstackers unallocated IS backed by physical - it is stated on their site, and confirmed face to face.

It is plain wrong to suggest otherwise or to imply it is the same as buying paper.

6. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would be more worried about trading with dealers that routinely shut down for "stock taking" on big market pull backs.

7. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Do a search. They've talked about this a few times on previous threads.

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-16367-gold-stacker-s-silver-unallocated-program.html

http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-391668.html#p391668

http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-391901.html#p391901

8. Supe

Supe New Member

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

If it wasn't backed by physical then I have spent about $50k too much on safes that must be empty. A very few members of this forum have had a tour of the "back office" at Gold Stackers. Really wish they would all stop asking if we've had an engineer check out the strength of the floor.

We're not numpties, it's a 100% physical backed offering. The only unbacked liability in our office is the beer fridge which is full of empty promise. Last time I checked I think there was a stain from some lunch of CKs that leaked, that was it.

10. Kawa

Kawa New Member

My dad always told me that if you can't see it on your way back from work or piss on it then it's not yours.

Old school but I agree.

11. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

I've purchased unallocated at Goldstackers a few times in the past, and, to jiggle some things around - and even in the midst of the current hullaballoo have redeemed part of those unallocated holdings - no dramas.

12. goldpelican

It's not even out our balance sheet as a company asset - it's "metal owned by clients" in the financials.

Anyway, it's not for everyone. We're primarily a physical dealer.

13. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

I got a kilo bar at just over 28 an oz and a bison for 30 when spot first dropped below 26. I think Im gonna buzz on a 10 oz bar today.

14. fiatphoney

fiatphoney New Member

I am sure it is a good, useful and helpful service. Just some things to watch out for.

On your business insurance either it is covered as your asset ie stock on hand OR liability ie prepurchased stock awaiting shipment/collection whereby client is a creditor on your balance sheet with all the business risk involved which is normal for unallocated. (Think Clive Peters electrical.) Alternatively you have purchased additional insurance for an allocated storage business?
    It has to be one or the other for insurance coverage, and proper accounting.
    If you have made a representation that you are 'merely' providing storage, then say "it is allocated" or 'it is depository as in safety deposit storage'. Therefore a prospective client would then like to know if you provide insurance like other allocated/storage providers, over and above your own business assets.

It matters if things go wrong. And insurance companies do like 'legal words' to minimise their own loss.

So 'metal owned by clients' can have three very different meanings, as with 'just providing storage'. It is ambiguous.
    Either it is unallocated, allocated or depository storage with disclosure of insurance if any.
    'metal owned by clients' - nah
    Definitive statements need to be made, with disclosure of risk and insurance coverage; if not a more formal document.

I am sure I have said nothing you don't already know, and you may already have appropriate procedures/documantation in place.

I am sharing this for others consideration. 'metal owned by clients', 'stored on your behalf' what does that mean?

Some nasty stories are coming out of the US involving widows following their deceased husbands pm investment advice/wishes with life insurance payouts.

15. goldpelican

Without going into the nitty gritty of our business model on a public forum - it's covered. Our insurers meet with us about once a month.

16. locksmithuk

locksmithuk Member

Dealers are definitely skimming off the top on 1kg PAMPs, if my regular one is anything to go by. He charged 6.25% premium at AUD 28 spot, but has yanked it up to 8% at AUD 22.60.

17. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Goldstackers is a standout exception in my mind ... I would not hesitate to purchase unallocated through them ;)

18. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

What I like about it as well is that one can swap out gold and silver directly in unallocated via the GSR ratio.
    So for example let's say you have 100 kg of silver in unallocated and the price for unallocated is currently $754 (spot + $30)
    => the current fiat value of your holding = $75 400.

Let's say you were crazy enough to want to swap out in to gold at this moment ... :lol:
    current value of gold in unallocated = $1,360.50 (spot + $30)
    => you could get the following number of ounces of gold = $75400/$1360.50 = 55.42 ounces ...

So i assume if you give GP the word, your 100kg of unallocated silver will instantaneously become 55.42 ounces of unallocated gold!?

Is that about right GP?

Sorry, i just realised that you offer SPOT for buybacks, but would a GSR swap be valued as a buyback, ie. would my unallocated silver be valued at (spot + $30)/kg for the sake of the swap into gold or only at SPOT?

19. goldpelican

In order to make it economical, the spread for GSR swaps is currently 50% of the premium on the metal being sold - i.e. if you were selling back a kilo of silver which is normally sold for $30 over spot, there is a $15 charge per kilo. Just selling back outright would be the full $30.

So 100kg of silver:

Retail cost = spot + $30: 752.50 x 100 = $75,250
    GSR swap value = spot + $15: 737.50 x 100 = $73,750
    Cash value = spot: 722.50 x 100 = $72,250

You would have $73,750 credit towards unallocated gold:

Unallocated gold retail cost = spot + $30: $1,360.50

73750 / 1360.50 = 54oz unallocated ($73,467) + $283 change, or call it 6g ($268.50) + $14.50 change.

So 100kg of silver gets you 54oz + 6g (1685.4g), which is a swap GSR of 100 x 1000g Ag / 1685.4g Au = 59.33, when actual GSR is 1330.50 / 22.47 = 59.2. That's pretty damn close, and a tiny premium over actual GSR.

I know there's a few unallocated offerings in the market now, but I believe we're the only dealer offering GSR swaps on unallocated as simple as this, and we buy back unallocated at spot.

20. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Awesome.