New collector

Discussion in 'Sovereigns' started by Silvered, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Silvered

Silvered New Member

Hi,

I have just started to collect sovereigns for long term investment and wanted to pick some expert brains.
    I purchased two sovs from Atkinsons, first thing I did was check the weights, both are weighing in at 8g and I have read they should be 7.98.
    I was expecting the shield one to be a yellow gold colour but it has a slight orange tinge to it, is this normal? We are new to collecting them and want to make sure the coins we have purchased are genuine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

You can buy a sovereign tester for like $10 which will weed out some fakes or the Fisch tester for like $150 and that will certainly catch any fakes. Was the 2002 coin a proof or bullion finish? Proof would explain the shininess but its hard to tell without holding it to see.

3. Silvered

Silvered New Member

Hi,
    As far as i am aware the 2002 is not a proof or bullion coin. We ordered from Atkinsons, in Birmingham. We ordered a shield sovreign and thought it would be an older coin but the 2002 turned up.
    Has anyone ordered from this company before?

4. johnmorris

johnmorris Member

i stick to the original sovereigns. same value, more reality.

5. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

Hello amd welcome : )

6. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Get a 200g scale with 1000ths increments - I'm a long term Sov nut - left Manchester in 2009 - also do try Mays pawnbroker Manchester - PM me if I can hook u up with managers there ;)

7. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Welcome newbie.

Atkinsons is totally reliable so don't be concerned.
    If you are serious about collecting sovereigns and other gold coins then you MUST buy digital scales.
    I recommend an electronic scale that has 0.01 gram precision and a max weight of 50g.
    That should give you the best accuracy.
    Scales that weigh up to say 300g are less accurate measuring 4 gram half sovereigns and 8 gram sovereigns.
    You need to be seeing on your scale two decimal points.

Newer sovereigns say 1980 onwards can be extremely shiny especially 1990 and later.
    A proof coin is totally different to a bullion coin - your 2002 Shield is bullion.
    The proof high points ( Queen's face e.g. ) is of a frosted appearance and the contrast between cameo and background is very distinctive.

A free tip is to try and not pay more than 5% over spot for any bullion coin and better still look for 3% above spot.
    This is possible but without homework you may pay up to 15% over spot. Proof coins tend to be priced higher and according to scarcity and demand.

If you are interested in buying a proof 1980 half sovereign in its original red Royal Mint box with COA sometime PM me with a realistic offer.