How to identify unc 1966 rounds

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Sa_bogan, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Sa_bogan

Sa_bogan Active Member Silver Stacker

Just wanted to know how you can tell when it comes to these. I was talking with another stacker about some that I came across today in plastic sleeves. The dealer I bought them from said they were in brilliant condition and that they were unc. After someone mentioned the possibility of someone just putting cleaned coins into the packaging I had a closer look. The coins are in awesome condition considering that they can move around in the plastic so there would be small markings on the queen side. I had a look and most have hardly any marks and a few had some slight fine marks about 2mm long but nothing major. On the other side there is some slight indents on the rim. The coins look i cleaned and there is toning on all of the queen sides. What do you guys make of it? I tried taking close up shots but can't get good lighting to show what I'm talking about

2. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Sound cleaned but I'd like to see a picture for a better idea

If you price according to book value.. Unc 66s are like 5 over spot max

3. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

For me a Unc 66 has to still be in a roll for me to be convinced that it's not just a clean coin.

4. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

It's very hard to be sure unless they're in a roll and even then there was a year + of them being issued and circulating so coins could well have been unwrapped in the bank, issued out, deposited back, rewrapped and so on several times before some collector snaffles a roll and sticks it in storage .....

Consider this also, many of the coins could well have mint marks from when they rolled out of the presses into the bin/bucket before being sent to be packed/wrapped. Some would also not have necessarily been wrapped at all but delivered in the old bulk quantity canvas/calico bags.

So little nicks/dings/bag marks would not be totally unexpected. Once could expect some mild-medium toning depending on how they were stored.

Often cleaning marks/swirls etc can be seen clearly. Super bright shiny coins would suggest some cleaning or at least either an alfoil/salt bath or ammonia treatment.

Unfortunately though with mildly toned, not badly scratched, generally good looking coins, it's nigh on impossible to be absolutely sure. That's why the roll is valuable (although not infallible) as a guide, and the provenance of the coin still needs to be proven.

I am becoming more and more conviced that the number of coins claiming to be uncirculated is increasing from that of several years ago, and that while some will be what they claim, and some are genuinely honest mistakes or misunderstandings or mislabelings of well-preserved issued coins, many are in fact deliberately misdescribed in an attempt to hoodwink buyers.

5. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

New coins don't always come in rolls. I enquired about the poppy $2 at the bank and was told that the bank receives them loose in bags.

But then again that is now and in 1966 i'm sure the coins were all wrapped and rolled.

6. Edmond.D

Edmond.D New Member

Great post XB

Turning into a real grey area, even here - personally it is just a bullion coin no matter what!
    And like most things there is always methodologies to squeeze margin.

I'm guilty of this too - Heres my attempt at "Best Known" last year - Hoping for a MS66 or better!!

[​IMG]

Came back at MS64 and sold for $43 on Ebay - Overall I netted about $7.
    About a third of my stack I would consider as Unc (MS62ish).
    Regards
    Edmond

7. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Don't worry about it just assume they are not unc - not much premium paid for these as there are plenty around in perfect condition as they didn't circulate for long

8. Sa_bogan

Thanks for your input guys. I guess i just want to make sure I'm selling unc or cerc. It did pay a little bit more becuse of the condition and the sleeves and wanted to make sure if they were unc to share them with others. I'll try to scan them on my printer and you guys can help

9. XB

I think the reality is that most of the coins claiming to be Uncirculated are in fact good, well-preserved examples of circulated coins, and they are called uncirculated as the seller thinks "hmmm they are shiny not too dinged/scratched, and that seems to be what other people call them so it must be what it is". I don't think all sellers (and I'm specifically thinking ebay here not SS) deliberately try to mislead, although some do.

Even wrapped in an RBA wrapper is no guarantee of uncirculated as they could have been issued, returned, rewrapped and reissued etc before their recall, although it is more likely that they are in fact uncirculated :) .

Point is there's nothing wrong with good, well-preserved, shiny or moderately toned 50s. Indeed as Edmond.D's post shows, 46-47 years after minting a nicely preserved example can still be rated well by a professional grader.

On a personal side, I've pretty much accepted that nearly all the "uncirculated" coins offered are in fact circulated but well-preserved examples. If I am able to find an uncirculated with established provenance, yay, but it's rare to find.

I am still hunting for a proof 66 50 though, and then my final goal, the 2006 gold reproduction...... ahhh to dream :cool:

10. Guest

Guest Guest

If I was around back then I'd spend all my free time going to banks swapping money for rolls of these bad boys

11. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

Don't forget back then 50c was worth around $10 today, so 200$ a roll

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Mmm didn't think of that :lol:

13. GBN

GBN Member

And now a '66 50c is about $10, store of value anybody?

14. Sa_bogan

Well watching a tv show from the US (doomsday prepers) and seeing this one guy go into the bank once a week and buy/trade $1000 to get rolls of American halfs and find the silvers ones. Here you have to buy them to get them and not for 50cents!

15. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

1966 proof sets are not difficult to find - usually sell for around $300

Just did a quick search and there are three on ebay right now - and also one here:
    http://www.sterlingcurrency.com.au/items/proof-set-1966-dark-blue-case

16. Silver Frost

Silver Frost New Member

I am of the belief that the 66 round was issued bagged not rolled , any 66's in rolls would have been done by banks & CIT companies with both bagged UNC and circulated coinage. I agree most coins sold UNC are opportunistic grading of circulated coins, which is ok as it is a Grade used to describe lack of wear not how it was aquired.The image you listed in FS Sir Bogan appear to have no visable wear,cant comment on cleaned or not from pics, Reverse/ the 50 usually show dings nicks ect, yours appear spotless. Obverse/ the large field around QE11 & neck , cheek show marks easly, yours are clear.. Im sure there are many 66'S that are UNC that arnt worthy of the Grade, because of excesive bag marks. Being a silver coin it will react with the acid in the paper and chem in the ink, the obverse is against the card ..yer? same problem with the old push in coin albums. Have to be worth few $ more for 'The Collection', maybe put them away , its a tough market at the moment.. unless your buying.

17. dollars

dollars Active Member Silver Stacker

18. XB

Should have been clearer - a cheap proof set lol and a really really cheap 06 gold 50c :p :lol: :rolleyes:

19. Sa_bogan

Had a fellow stacker have a look and said they didn't look to have been cleaned. So I can at least say that. As for unc still not 100% sure