Platinum Post GONE - Replaced With New "Courier" Postage $35!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Matthew 26:14, Mar 19, 2013.

1. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Except ... "As part of our product standardisation, Prepaid Express Post 3kg large and Express Post 5kg large satchels will be withdrawn from 8 April 2013. However, if you have purchased prepaid Express Post 3kg large and 5kg large satchels, you can continue to lodge these parcels."

It seems that only the 500g Express Post satchels will remain??

BTW, I don't understand your statement that Express Post satchels have a "slower delivery time" than Platinum Express? My understanding it's the same delivery network for both Express Post and Platinum Express Post with "next business day" delivery, so how can it be slower?

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

This is a major impact for bullion dealers - we just paid through the nose to get higher $25k insurance per parcel on Platinum Post - it's not available on Express.

3. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They have lost the plot. Just a couple of weeks ago the chief of Aust Post Ahmed Fahour said that "Email is passe and that the next generation will not use email at all, they will instead use twitter and Facebook because emails are not secure enough and too easily hacked"

If that's what's at the top of Aust Post then no wonder they are doing bizarre and counter-productive stuff with their parcel post services. Their CEO clearly believes that customers need to be dictated to.

4. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I was told I can use it as long as I want it(have it) but as we all know auspost they could change their policy...the question is how many to stack up?

5. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I just went into PO, staff knew nothing about it, supervisor said April 2nd. Staff then bitched about having to hear it from customers first. And yes, use PP until you run out.

6. goldpelican

More a case of having negotiated much higher insurance coverage for a very low cost service - previously sending a 10oz gold bar (or anything else over $10k) meant a call to the insurer who in turn had to get it cleared by the underwriter in London! Now if Platinum is being ditched, either we revert to lower insurance limits per parcel, or switch to higher postage options to retain the $25k package limits.

There is a significant amount of business done at these price points. It's a doddle to get stuff in this value range sent for about $110 insured, but the market simply won't bear those types of costs.

7. goldpelican

Just reading though the Australia Post website - can someone link to a definitive statement about Platinum Post being discontinued?

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/new-prices.html doesn't mention Platinum anywhere, but explicitly mentions the discontinuation of large Express satchels and Registered parcels.

8. goldpelican

Googling "Platinum Post Discontinued" returns this thread as the first result in Google :rolleyes:

9. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

I will reiterate, that the Express Post next day network and the Platinum Post next day guarantee network are NOT the same.

EG. A prepaid Express Post satchel sent from postcode 3000 (Melbourne) to postcode 6006 (North Perth) Australia Post says its "outside express post network" but Platinum Express has a next day guarantee to 6006.

You find there are many examples where the Express Post network is NOT the same as the Platinum Express network, therefore the removal of the Platinum Express satchel will result in slower delivery times.

Aust Post has a calculator which can be used to see the different network delivery times.

http://auspost.com.au/apps/domestic-parcel.html

10. Giodor8

Giodor8 Active Member

It is also a good idea to set up an account with australian air express. Thats who pack and send use but you can have your own private account with them.

11. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

12. Matthew 26:14

Went to my 2 local post offices today, 1 sold out of them and the other had 10 left.

13. goldpelican

I got official confirmation from Australia Post today as well. Funny how it's not mentioned on the website though.

14. steve.rsa

steve.rsa Member Silver Stacker

Lends a whole new meaning to stacking the Platinum.

15. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

16. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

According to my post guy Express Next Day + Registered (add $3) is what's replacing PlatEx

Courier Service is designed to be lodged first thing in the morning & delivered asap regionally the same day... How the heck they're going to manage that, I have no idea...

Have a look at Temando - I use them quite a lot - just make sure you choose the right service for the destination - there are quite a few subbies inc AAE

17. Matthew 26:14

Although Express Satchels are comparable to Platinum Post, its doesnt have the same delivery network, does not have the same insurance and is not as secure lodgement (Plat Express lodge at PO counter and immediately logged into the system, Express you put in the yellow street box).

$10.55 + $2.95 signature = $13.50 for Express 500gm, Plat Express as of today is $13.90

18. Matthew 26:14

Looks like Parcel Post Plus is also gone. It was the cheapest satchel you could buy that had tracking, about $7.85 from memory for 500gms.

So the only satchel options that remain will be Express Post (with signature option) and regular post (with signature option).

$8.25 for a regular post satchel plus $2.95 delivery is $11.20 for 500gm with signature. $7.85 for cheapest tracking to $11.20, fair jump.

I wonder if they will keep the e-bay satchels ?!?!

19. iceblue

iceblue Well-Known Member

Mate there will be a run on safes from all the bullion dealers as allocated accounts start to double!!!!
    Am going to see how many plat express bags I can get my hands on,theres a heap in town, buzz me if ya want some.

20. Matthew 26:14

Chatting to the guy who runs my local post office today, he was saying there has been a bit of a stink about Plat Express being canned.

Not only has there been regular customers complaining but DFAT apparently has said they will only use Plat Express to send out passports and embassies/consulates have also complained as they use Plat Express to send out Visas/passports also.

Watch this space as "they" say.