Am I being too picky

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by six20aus, Mar 14, 2013.

1. six20aus

six20aus Member

Ok so I didn't know where to post this but just wanted to get some feedback.

I bought some 1oz coins recently from one of the dealers - no need to say which one thats' not the issue this is just for my educashun really.
    One of the coins had a blemish both my wife and I noticed immediately - I contacted dealer and they were more than happy to exchange which they did promptly. I then ordered a 10oz fortuna and received it yesterday and the first thing I noticed was scratching.

So my question is should I expect a 10oz minted bar to be 100% perfect or is it normal to have scratches and imperfections ? I don't know what is 'normal' so I have no idea what to expect.

I'm just thinking that I will hold this as a keepsake but if I ever go to sell it I don't want a prospective buyer to say "I won't pay price 'x' because its scratched"....

[​IMG]

2. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Even though 10oz pamps are priced well I'd still only buy a perfect example. They're probably the only 10oz bar i'd want in perfect condition due to the mirror finish.
    At the end of the day you're not going to lose much when it comes time to sell ($10-$15) but they're in plastic cases so there's no reason it shouldn't be in prefect condition.

3. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same kinda thing.. I brought. 10 oz pamp.. only in half the packaging And a few scratches. someone had opened it and well yea.. I got it for a good price.. Low serial number however... not that i intend to sell it, but i do wonder what i would get for it.. considering it is far from mint condition.. but low serial... i think they would cancel each other out.. and it would be normal pamp 10oz price?? Or even less... I really don't know..

4. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

looks like someone scratched it to test if the silver was real

5. argento

argento Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Are u sure its on the bar....
    Looking at the image that you have provided....the two lines that you have high lighted appear as a reflection on the mirror finish bar , possibly indicating that the lines could posssibly be on the protective plastic.
    Can anyone else see the reflection that I'm talking about

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/2764_10180_pamp10oz.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

6. six20aus

six20aus Member

This photo was taken with the top cover removed - it comes in a 2 part plastic case.

I contacted the dealer and they've indicated I can return it but I just feel like a PITA customer returning it but to me I'd personally expect a new minted bar should be pristine which was the only reason I posted.

7. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

If the dealer is happy to exhange, and you are unhappy with the bar as is, seems a simple solution to exchange and thereby increase your happiness quotient :D

8. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It does detract from the beauty of the bar and that's what you're paying the premium for so don't feel bad about returning it. The seller wants a happy customer and you want a perfect bar, nothing too demanding about that.

As it's quite noticeable, I doubt you would get the premium back if you were to sell it. Potential buyer would more than likely look for bullion price or a good discount.

The half kilo version comes loose with no packaging other than what the dealer wraps it in, go figure!

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Half kilos come wrapped in blue tissue paper and plastic as original packaging from PAMP - unlike the 10oz which should be in a stapled two part plastic tray.

10. dross

dross Active Member

You are entitled to what you paid for, nothing more & certainly nothing less. If you paid a premium for a "premium" item that's exactly what you should receive.

11. Ag47

Ag47 Active Member Silver Stacker

What are people's thoughts on whether you or the dealer has to pay for the return shipping?

12. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker