Prospecting Tours

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by donkey74, Mar 11, 2013.

1. donkey74

donkey74 New Member

Hi all, does anyone know of ay prospecting tours in Western Australia?
    I have no gear and no experience but I would love to try my hand at a bit of prospecting.
    Thanks.

2. madcowinc

madcowinc Member

+1 Melbourne - anyone interested in doing one as a group?

3. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Been wanting to do this for awhile... just would like whoever runs the tour to be able to give some instructions as well.

5. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

I tell you this much, if a few of the experienced prospectors on SS teamed up and offered to guide a prospecting tour for vetted SS members, people would come from all over Australia.

7. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I would gladly take out some folks no problems at all. I am confident of getting you there and back. However not having found ANY gold at all probably doesn't make it too appealing :(

8. donkey74

donkey74 New Member

Lol, sounded good up till the ANY bit...
    I'll be happy to find 1 nugget so I can tick it off the bucket list. Wonder if they will let me pan at the Perth Mint?

9. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

There is a reason why it is precious, so far I have done over 4,200k's searching for the stuff. I can tell you though I know the tracks, where there has been plenty of activity and some where none has been. The problem you have is time. Even searching for a few hours in an area is really only hit and miss. There is sooooo much land out there.

I am sure there is still plenty to be found, but when they say "No one gets all the gold" I can tell you that they certainly got a good share of it :(

However, in doing these trips. I have taken on learning more about geography. What type of rocks to look for and where to find them. I think I have been looking in the wrong spots perhaps ? Experience counts and these tour guides seem to know their stuff, one I saw was about $700 tag along which was good value to me. Money well spent to gain knowledge. One thing reading or watching a you tube video. Totally another with an experienced prospector showing you. This is what you look for. Well worth the $700 I reckon.

There are a few areas closish to Perth, within a 3-4 hour drive Paynes Find, some homesteads around and on the way. You could contact (In advance) as well if you wanted a little peace of mind, there is plenty of areas around there that could give some gold. I have headed right through the Nth West highway right up to Newman, covering, Cue, Meeka, Paynes, Sandstone etc... nudda

My next trip is east as that is where the volume is. It is called a Super Pit for a reason.

10. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

Tours can be expensive but if you go with the right people they are worth every cent. But If you don't want to fork out the cash you could join a prospecting specific forum (see my signature) and becoming friendly with some of the members in your local area, cost is free and you'll most likely gain some life long friends to go out bush with.

11. donkey74

donkey74 New Member

I think I'll join the prospecting forum and try to join a trip with a few experienced prospectors. I need to do a bit of research so I have some idea of what to look for.