Are 2012 American Silver Eagles thinner?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by pug, Feb 18, 2013.

1. pug

pug Member

When I measure with digital calipers the two 2012 ASE that I bought from a local coin shop, I find they are 2.87 mm thick, not the 2.98 mm thick they are reported to be. They are the typical 40.6 mm diameter, and weigh about 31.25. They appear to be struck perfectly and have an amazing ring when pinged. So what gives? The only reference I seem to be able to find online about this is this youtube video showing the shrinking stacks comparing various years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmfJWpmWeJk

2. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

What are you measuring? The edges or the centre? Is there a noticeable difference around the edges? There could just be a raised edge on the earlier ones but not on the newer ones ( don't know the proper lingo for this).

3. pug

pug Member

Isn't there anyone who can confirm this? There must be someone on this forum who has a few ASE to measure.
    Watch the short youtube clip posted above, showing a comparison of stacks from different years.
    Also, I'm confused how can they have the exact same width and mass, but be thinner?
    @ metalzzz I think it's both the center and edges, because it's the entire stack that's shorter.

4. Dan Unda

Dan Unda Member Silver Stacker

Just for you, I went and measured a 2010 ASE (don't have any 2012's), and the dimensions are more or less in accordance with what you have stated,
    though the diameter of this one is closer to 40.7mm than the 'nominal' 40.6..
    I understand the 'nominal mass' (31.103g) to be the guaranteed minimum..

Bear in mind that these things are churned out in the millions, presumably on automated machinery (??), and probably going through several die changes for each year,
    so minor dimensional variations are to be expected I would think, and no cause for concern as long as they are within the mint's tolerance limits (whatever that may be)..
    A while ago, I weighed several ASE's, and no two were the "exact same mass".. I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of any of them.

If you still have doubts, you could do the Specific Gravity test (there are forum posts describing this, a search should bring it up)..
    I think you'll find your concerns are unfounded :)

As for "ping", What is this "ping" of which you speak ???? ;)

Being seriously 'hard of hearing' (w/- the higher frequencies being the most affected), I dunno nothin' about no "ping" :(

:)

5. pug

pug Member

Silver has a lovely ringing sound to it when struck. But I think the ASE sounds amazing.
    Take the ASE and hold it on the tip of your index finger. Take a plastic pen and tap the edge of the coin and you should hear a nice lovely ringing sound. My ASE sounds like a# on a piano or 3765hz.

here's a virtual piano to compare http://www.onlinepianist.com/virtual_piano/
    If you don't know your piano keys, here's a diagram for you.
    [​IMG]

My 2013 Canadian Silver Maple is a D8 (4823hz) in comparison. I don't think it sounds as nice as the ASE

Systematic_Mechanic on Bullionstacker commented on this as well:
    I believe the ping test is just one more way you can confirm if the coin is legit...
    You can easily check the weight, dimensions and if the sound of the ping is correct.
    If the metal composition is not genuine silver, then it won't pass these tests.