Can I handle my silver

Discussion in 'Silver' started by ounces, Feb 24, 2013.

1. ounces

ounces New Member

When I buy silver it is only for the silver and buy bars with low preium.
    So my question is can I handle my silver without staining,or tarnish,or leave finger prints.
    Everything I have purchased is in clear(soft) plastic containers and do not know if I can just take one out and sit in my chair and admire it.

2. finchy

finchy New Member

3. ounces

ounces New Member

Finchy,
    Thanks for the info on cleaning but my question is can I handel them without messing them up??

4. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

If you want to fondle your bars after eating a big Mac or KFC then you will get them all fingermarked and greasy. If that happens place them in a plastic container of hot water with washing up liquid and clean them like a baby's bottom using a soft sponge. Rinse and pat dry with paper towels but don't add talcum powder.
    If you leave your unprotected bars in a smoke filled environment, in time they may tarnish and turn black. This is easily rectified using the bicarb, boiling water and Al. foil bath.

5. Silber

Silber Member

It probably depends on the type of the bar. Minted bars with a mirror-like finish will most likely never be the same as before after even touching them once. Cleaning them without causing scratches is a headache. Poured bars may be more robust in that sense. I admit it: I'm carrying a small, poured bar in my pocket for quite a while now, and it basically looks like a new one, but YMMV.

6. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

if you have low premium bars then handle them as much as you like - stain them - who cares
    you'll get the same price from a dealer whether they are shiny or dirty

7. Marsi

Marsi Member Silver Stacker

I handle them like i handle my iphone, unless they came to me in pristine condition and in a protective case.

8. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Buy yourself a pair of white cotton gloves for fondling your bars. :)

9. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

Get your hands on a Perth Mint 10oz bar - you know, the ugly-as-sin-yet-beautiful-to-hold sort.

And play around with it as much as you want.

Honestly, I think unless you've actually held some "raw" metal in your hands, and stopped and considered what it represents, especially in today's fiat world, you don't really have an appreciation for what you're stacking.

Think... Romans used to make coins out of that same metal, and paid their workers one silver denarius a day. True money. Nothing like it.

10. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

11. ounces

ounces New Member

Thank All,
    I will treat my bullion with the same respect that my wife demands--that should be good enough-LOL

12. Cimexus

Cimexus Member

Silver tarnishes due to exposure to sulphur, mainly. You will most definitely have sulphur compounds in your skin oils etc, so yes, handling them will most likely speed up the process of tarnishing, not to mention attract plain old dirt more easily etc. But silver is silver so provided you don't care about the look of tarnish, nothing lost.

13. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

I used to carry a Aus 1966 50 cent around in my pocket. First piece of silver I ever owned & a kinda walk & talk, show & tell, convert the humble sheeple people artifact. I'm so smart I forgot to take it out of my pocket one Friday arvo & it went through the wash & jammed & jiggered the agitator. Cost me $150 to fix my mates washer. Learned my lesson there, don't fondle my silver coins anymore.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

+1

15. JollyKillBill

JollyKillBill Member

Yea I HAD a maple leaf I would handle, went through the wash a few times, each time I was in shock at the state of it, so many dings and scratches and even gouges and chips, it never broke the machine though. I lost it somewhere, could be in the house or the car or IDK. Since then I have only played with pre decimal and made sure to put it all back before I do anything else, I don't want to lose any MORE silver.

@OP You can handle your silver, poured bars/pre decimal coinage without any real worries, when you start taking things out of capsules and mint packaging is when you have to start worrying

16. Rinchin

Rinchin New Member

Ive got a kook I like to handle, fondle etc. i keep it in my work/man bag. Its all dinged up and starting to tarnish. The more beat up it gets the better in my book. I never plan on selling it and it was the first silver i ever bought.

Ive already had some great times with this coin and i expect many more. Weve even had a run in with airport security that was my favourite memory we share. They couldnt figure out what it was on xray. Rather than ask they ran it through close to a dozzen times. I was traveling with the swim team i coach (13-18 year olds). I played up to the crowd, tried to get it out of my bag and they almost tackled me. Kids thought it was a hoot. Airport goons ended up taking a tiny jewlers screwdriver off me to justify how worked up they got despite looking totally incompetent taking a dozzen scans. Afterwise the kids wanted to know all about it. I let them hold and check out the coin. They were blown away by the size and weight. Especially since they changed our kiwi coins to plated steel and out 50c is now similar to you 10c the rest smaller from there down. Gave me a chance to get a little sales pitch in, now we settle disputes etc with a coin toss with my dinged up old kook.

I dont think theres any better alternate than handeling real silver to get people interested snd listening if you want to bang on and enlighten them.

17. finchy

finchy New Member

^ up till recently i used to carry around 1oz scottsdale bar in my pocket.It went everywhere with me beach,work etc
    Anywho i decided to get kfc at the food court one day .. Dam thing must of slipped out & didnt hear it ping in the hustle & bustle
    of the shopping centre.

I was pretty annoyed at first,but then realised someone else would eventually pick it up and their curiosity
    of this 1oz silver bar could potentially lead them to start stacking - dunno why,but that made the loss somewhat easier
    to deal with.

If i found 1oz of silver at the shops id never part with it,no matter the price :)

18. Cind3r

Cind3r Active Member Silver Stacker

good way of looking at it finchy :)

If i found one in the shop and didnt know what silver bullion was i would think it was a game token of some kind.

19. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Based upon our rejuvenated memories I've decided to rescue the ole 50c 80% & start the "show & tell" ridicule engine up again.

20. EasyCollective

EasyCollective New Member Silver Stacker

Ive always wondered if minted bars nicer to fondle than poured bars.