Perth Mint Buy back (remotely)?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Phiber, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi guys,

Quick question for those of you who have experienced buy back from the Perth Mint.
    First let it be said it is not my preferred choice when it comes to selling bullion - I do hot intend to sell anyway.
    But I thought it would be good to know my options as one never knows what may lie ahead.

So, I know you can bring your bullion back to the Mint and they will buy them back from you.
    Now, my question is: if you live in the Eastern States, and are not able to go to the Mint without jumping on a plane, is there a way to arrange for buyback somehow?

Really keen to see if anyone has had such an experience.
    Cheers

2. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

My understanding is the Perth Mint buyback price is pathetic so I wouldn't even go there if I was in Perth.

If you live in/near a capital city in the Eastern states you should have no trouble finding a bullion dealer or coin shop that will pay spot or close to spot.

3. badhammy

badhammy Member Silver Stacker

If you are in the Brisbane/South East corner area, Ainslie Bullion are quite fair with their buy backs.
    They do arrange for mail-in buy backs as well.

4. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No problem sending your bullion over;

Down near the end- http://www.perthmint.com.au/metalprices_bullion_coins_and_bars_buying_selling.aspx

5. Dan Unda

Dan Unda Member Silver Stacker

Never mind...

(missed it by *that much*) ;)

:)

6. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Or you could go to W. Davis in Melbourne and get a better buy-back price than Perth Mint ... :)

7. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I've seen "no buying" signs up on more than one occasion at different dealers - liquidity is not an infinite resource.

In the event of manic parabolic prices and you find that local dealers are out of cash, The Perth Mint may be the buyer of last resort in the country.

8. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

send it to me ;) :lol:

9. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

:D

If your price are reasonable see Chip. I might able to help of course there is a limit.
    If you have a truck load , I might just buy the spare tyres only.
    I guess members here can help out as well.
    House might buy the truck. ;)

10. Maxwell

Maxwell New Member

I sold my entire stack to the PM some years back. It was all PM bullion bars.

The rate wasn't great , but i drove to Perth , walked in the door and walked back out with cash in about 15 Min.

I know i could have done better, but the speed and convenience and cash on the spot was what i needed at the time.

11. bron suchecki

bron suchecki Active Member Silver Stacker

I don't think this fact is appreciated by many and it will become a problem if we get into a bubble market and on the other side of it. You may find dealers offering to buy back but with payment delayed as they ship the metal to Perth and only pay out once we pay them.

12. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I honestly don't think selling would be a major problem in the event of a "bubble market" in PMs. I've read enough to realize that if there is panic buying the biggest problem bullion dealers will have is getting enough inventory.

http://www.shtfplan.com/precious-me...-they-were-lined-up-around-the-block_01132013

http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=7dc09795-ee1f-438c-a872-316cd485cc83&sponsor=

On the other-hand if there's an industrial Silver shortage the price will remain high for many years.

13. Phiber

Hi guys,

Thanks all for the input, appreciated as always.
    House, thanks for the link - good stuff and exactly what I was looking for.

This is definitely something I keep in mind, and one of the reasons I like to know what is possible in terms of dealer but back.
    Although I also understand the other argument saying parabolic prices would attract more investors.
    Hard to know what would happen, but good to know the mint is always there to buy back if other options run out.
    The mint would have to be the safest buyer of last resort in Australia.
    I do have a couple of ABC bars and hope they would also be open for buy back but not sure how things would pan out.

Either way, good to know the mint will buy back interstate if required.

14. bron suchecki

Yes, but as few will be selling, many buying and as buying volumes increase dealers working capital needs to increase (which they may not be able to fund). This will mean premiums will increase.

Then on the other side you have many sellers and no buyers, so buyback discounts will blow out, see http://www.chrismartenson.com/page/transcript-robert-mish "In the 1980, when we were about eight weeks backlogged and not everyone even had a refiner relationship and had to rely on other dealers who did, it got to about 30% discount for having the wrong form of silver versus the right form"

So the effective buy/sell spread on either side of that bubble could be quite large, wiping out a lot of profit.

15. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

My observation in the current market is that sometimes dealers stop buying. As Bron points out - working capital requirements for dealers will increase - instead of having to have $15000-16000 cash on hand to buy a 10oz gold bar back, it might blow out to $30k. No-one can guarantee that there will be a proportionate rise in the number of buyers to even out the cash flow. Could get very lumpy.

16. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

interesting read. not sure if I read it before. these two quotes stood out for me. turnover should be even simpler in another boom?

17. bron suchecki

Things will be easier this time around, but the fact is that when there are more sellers than buyers it doesn't matter what the product is, we are going to have to melt it and turn it into 1000oz silver bars and ship to London where the wholesale market clears.

At that point the most liquid (ie product with least discount) will be 1000oz bars. Everything else will attract the same and larger discount as it will all be melted. Doesn't matter whether it is a good looking coin or rough bar, all will be bought back at the same discount IMO.

Key is to sell well before hand. That will be hard for many because this forum will be overrun with desperate people and the old hands advising to sell will be drowned out.

My recommendation will be if we are seeing premiums going high to sell into it and, if you want to stay on for the ride, buy 1000oz bars at low premium (ie convert into more ounces) or buy into pooled products backed by 1000oz bars which you can sell quickly if you want to catch the peak.

18. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi GP/Bron

In the event of a parabolic manic phase do you really think there will be a shortage of buyers? That makes no sense to me ? Other asset classes will liquidate to buy in and the PM markets are so tiny that this cant be a real problem? The bullion dealers including the PM may have a liquidity problem but there will be tons of buyers out there. That is the definition. The market cant go parabolic if there is no currency or buyers.
    Just my understanding

19. Phiber

Very interesting discussion guys, keep it comin' !

20. bron suchecki

On the way up there is a shortage of sellers, hence the price goes up (and premiums as well). Our comments are more focused on the other side of the bubble, when there is a shortage of buyers.