Silver on eBay

Discussion in 'Silver' started by oscarheem, Feb 20, 2013.

1. oscarheem

oscarheem Member

There is someone selling PAMP suisse 1 KG silver bars on eBay from Sydney.

They are auction form:
    $0.01 + $899 shipping.

Now before you think this is the perfect ARBITRAGE.
    The catch is: the seller does not delivery the silver until mid April 2013.

I believe this is a total scam, because an eBay buyer with feedback score 115 has already given POSITIVE FEEDBACK (item bought yesterday).

How can you give positive feedback without even receiving the item. Must be a family member or his girlfriend or something.
    This buyer paid $935, which is insanely cheap!

I asked the buyer personally: how do you sell silver that much below the silver price?

He has not responded....

He has about 6 more auctions running, just type in 1 kg silver in eBay and he'll be right up there :)

2. oscarheem

oscarheem Member

Actually, I was wrong.

The eBay bought the item in January and received the item in February about 1 month later.

Maybe it is legit.

Silverstackers, what are your views?

3. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

4. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. NelsonHunt

NelsonHunt New Member

Yes, it's a scam. "Mid-April" is chosen because the eBay/PayPal "item not received" refund process is only valid for 45 days after the date of purchase. So when the seller doesn't deliver in mid-April, eBay/PayPal won't allow the buyer to claim a refund through the usual channels. Knowledgeable buyers will complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service, at which point PayPal will most likely refund their money. Then if the seller still has linked credit cards or bank accounts, Paypal will immediately recover the money from there, otherwise they will sell the debt to their collection agency.

6. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

...and what is more likely is that the seller sweeps up several sales, then shuts down the PayPal and associated accounts, and denies everything. Or you might find that you have the right to a refund on the price paid for the item - but not the postage :D

If he has really thick skin he'll just keep going and rely on embarassment and playing the system to keep his profile clean-ish. If nothing else, selling something that isn't in your possession is operating in a minefield.

Definitely run away.

7. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

What's been said above is sound advice. Run. Run for your life.

I think the thought above that "...selling something that isn't in your possession is operating in a minefield" could be modified/extended a bit. With all the endless horror story reports of scams, clad "silver" bars, fakes/counterfeits/forgeries, and all the rest of that stuff on eBay these days, I think shopping and buying via eBay is operating in a minefield. I used to, but but that's history. My objectives don't include stacking tungsten, so my buying is now limited to long-established, well-regarded LCS's and major, established/known/respected online bullion dealers. Researching "sold" prices on eBay is a good way to determine high-end retail prices, but that's where my use of them stops.

8. switchtronics

switchtronics Active Member

I messaged the seller and the response was that I buy from a dealer in w.a.

Yes they are purchased from a dealer in Western Australia

I can sell all 4 bars for $950 each if you are interested.

- tbat1michael
    'They have been removed now anyway. I wouldn't risk it especially with pamp being sold for aorund $969 with reputable dealers atm available quickly