2001D "small d variety"

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by silverstar1, Dec 4, 2012.

1. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Obviously the small d is much more rare you do not need the cc to know that but I would still like to see what you come up with, please let us know.

2. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

another indication is the lack of a "flood" on the market............ the 2003 mirror once NGC came out e bay was loaded with omp................

3. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I deliberately stayed away from the forums over Christmas, too much Panda temptation that impacts on the bank account :)

Anyway, just catching up on what I missed, and spotted the small D discovery & debate.. I have to take my hat off to JC, Silverstar1 and silverfever, you guys took a mauling over on CCF. Personally I don't think I could have responded as politely to some of their comments as you guys did.

Don't they know that this is a hobby?

4. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

What does forest gump say" stupid is as stupid does":):) Look our good friend silverstar stumbled upon it NCS ing a sheet of coin,s, we where trying to share the discovery , and we got the third degree ,like we faked the coins:) ,the same folks giving us the third degree where trying to buy the coins from me privately ,Reggie pure jealousy in my opinion :) , I stand firm IMHO that coin will turn out to be one of the rarest Panda,s ever:) anyone who has an opportunity to buy one at the current prices should jump on it if they can , after all the hoopla and all the searching as far as I can tell only the 5 or 6 folks who where lucky enough to stumble into the coins are the only seller,s and rest assured not to many rocks in china have not been turned over:),OH fyi ,this is not an advertisement I have none for sale.

5. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

Congrats to Silverstar... that must have been a really good day when the grades came through, and he discovered that he had a new variety.

6. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

+1.000.000

7. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Hi RP , Thanks for your kind words and for resurrecting this thread. Also a big thanks to JC8888..... , Thor , silver fever , Bassist , whinfell and everyone who contributed unbiased thoughts and info on this. I have not been on the forums for a while but I wanted to reply to this.
    Yes it was really great feeling in a hobby like this to get a new variety, I was initially suprised at the small d designation and the ngc population only showed the coins I had graded so that is why I started this thread. It then received almost no interest here but became a huge fiasco on the CCF which if you read the entire series of posts there you can see it became very interesting very quickly. At the time JC and I were the only ones actually physically looking at these and we both had the same conclusion that these were defiantly legitimate and a very rare variety , it was nice to have such a good ally and someone with more experience than me , Thanks Joe. Yes we caught holy hell for what ever reason I guess because the great MCC gurus did not discover it. I have to agree 100% with JCs assessment on these and the biased that it brought . I do also believe this may be the rarest distinct variety of the silver pandas which is a very bold statement but if you really study it , its hard to come up with any other conclusion, I also believe that most of these will indeed be graded just to confirm the small d variety so in the future the NGC population (and PCGS) will probably be a good indicator of the actual existing population, it will be very interesting to see what happens with this in a few years. Thanks Again for the Kind words and Encouragement .
    Silverstar1

8. donkarnash

donkarnash Member

Got these a few days back...MS 69...I know one is a LARGE D, but can't figure out the other....

small or large D ???

[​IMG]

this is Large D

[​IMG]

9. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Unfortunately these are both large ds, everyone has their own method of distinction but I just look at the d where the small slanted twig meets the straight line on the d and it is very easy to tell . I hope this helps.