[OPINION] 1995 Valuations and Varieties

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by yennus, Jun 6, 2012.

1. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So most Panda fans are probably familiar with the BIG3, and the opportunities (and risks) that lie with those.

But I'm also a big fan of the 1995 THREE. Which are:

1995 1oz Silver Panda Large Date Large Twig [BU Est. <65,000] MS69 Value: $200-$300
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_img_3291.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz][imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_img_3303.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz]

1995 1oz Silver Panda Small Date Small Twig [BU Est. <31,000] MS69 Value: $200-$400
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_img_3282.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz][imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_img_3294.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz]

1995 1oz Silver Panda Micro Date Small Twig [BU Est. <4,000] MS69 Value: $2000-$3000
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_img_3282.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz][imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_img_3298.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz]

The above MS69 Value numbers are my estimates. I would recommend you use PandaStats (Fishball), Pricepedia (PandaCollector), or a variety of sources like APMEX, and come to your conclusion.

I think there is still room for all THREE to rise in price, especially considering how hard it is to get good grades on these coins. From what I've seen, MOST 1995 OMP coins are not worth grading. Only time will tell how many good quality 1995 Pandas still exist in the wild.

[I also think that the 1996s are exceptionally hard to grade highly from OMP... I've tried very hard to secure an MS70, but I'm got a lot of MS67s and MS68s which is making this effort very expensive]

2. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I have got plenty of the lg and sm twig to grade ms69 I guess it depends on the source of the coins .

3. DaBoz

DaBoz New Member

I don't have the micro date yet, but am always looking for a better priced one. The prices vary greatly just over the mirror surface quality of them individually. Over a thousand dollars hike for nice reflective fields. Sorry I Missed the ones sold a couple month ago by a forum member.

4. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

thanks for all the info!!
    I got folks telling me the coin is worth 115.00 1995LT NGC /NCS MS69 and you know what im saying ,I will gladly take 100 at 135.00 and you can make a 20 per coin:). I think sometimes folks see one coin go cheap on e bay and they think that is where the market is ,or they look at a statistic and not at the coin, you pull up the actual listing of the coin that sold for 60% of real value and it looks like someone opened a liter of milk and poured it over it:) a wise fellow named fishball always says "buy the coin not the grade"

5. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Lets take a quick show, as to who has and who would like. This should give a rough idea on demand.

Those who have a Micro Date - :D :D :D

Those who want a Micro Date AND plan to buy one -

Who couldn't care less give me cheap Panda's -

Lets see ?

6. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Im not discuss the value of a 1995 LT.
    But if you saw the last sells in ebay
    are pcgs ms69
    For 127,50
    For 141,49
    The sd go for 235/255/269
    Are the last sells. I dont use the fishball site because i need to saw one for one to saw the Ld or SD.

7. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

You know you can use the 'include' & 'exclude' fields to specify large or small dates? :p

eg. include 'large' & exclude 'small' would filter all small date and only include large date

8. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I thought this deserved mentioning again :)

Not all Pandas are equal.

9. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Yes i use it for 1996, 1997 and others years and the filter are ok.
    But with 1995 are so many names and diferent descriptions is more dificil.

10. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

Amen brother .............:) I just bought a 1998 ms68 expo on e bay for 167.00 a couple of days ago SUPER CHEAP!As good OMP coins in Shanghai are doing 250 to 280 , but how do you say in Aussie lingo ? a pile of shite? head rub, junky looking just an unwanted step child ,now in the next couple of days I will have an ms68 coming home from NGC ,I am going to post the pictures of the 2 coins side by side ,and maybe it will enlighten :) as folks take that pile of crap I bought and use the sales price as part of an average to determine what they believe is the market.?

11. low

low New Member

I just hope the same logic apply to the 70 grade. :)

12. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

I bought a 95LDMS69 off cepe and it's straight to one of my favs, fantastic beautiful bear!! great seller btw

Austacker I have a somewhat milky OMP micro date, accepting offers for it.

My opinion is that any '95 coin is awesome!

13. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Cheers mate, I am good I have it covered, what I was trying to see that even in a small Panda community such as here we may have say 10 people that would be interested in getting one.

So with a population of approx 4000 - we already account .4% of the demand. If we say that these as we know are not always available and may not be for a very long time could cut that down to even 1,000 available over the next couple of years. With our 10 people as example we now account for 1% of this demand.

What isn't know is how many people globally would be after one or many. Some people holding more than one would make what is available even less and so on.

I would think it highly likely in the next 5 - 10 years there will be a lot more than 4,000 people globally wanting this coin. That price is cheap IMO

Finally as JC mentions quality is whole different game, in that 4,000 how many are actually OMP still ? those that have been graded etc... ?

14. Icarus

Icarus Member

Very wise saying indeed. Imvho unfortunately the completed listings are what the majority people (buyers) go by (more serious investors use more than 1 resource i would hope). I know its my nature as a buyer to get a relative market strength indicator for each coins I am looking at. So as a buyer, "buying the coin not the grade" works to your advantage in times like these. So as a seller how do you then make the coin stand out if there are similar listings? Especially if the similar listings are low? I am new here so take it easy on me :).

15. Lim

Lim New Member

Ebay is a strange world ....
    Some crazy wacko and some lucky chap as always .. When the sale goes very low suddenly , i would take that as a lucky chap . But when it is too high , i would class as crazy wacko :lol:

Just glad I had this site to buzz back some nice and conserve coins to singapore . that about it.. :p

16. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Welcome to the Panda forum Icarus!

Definitely buy the coin not the grade... but only for the hard to get stuff.

I often refer to Peter Anthony's Pricepedia as a guide as to whats a fair price for a coin, although not always entirely realistic because the market fluctuates it's a great beginning point. Many sellers are happy to accept offers also I've found so don't be shy to make one. It's a very good question as to what is fair value for a coin with many factors influencing price, whatever a buyer is willing to pay is a simple answer.

Yennus is the man to talk to about ways to sell your Pandas :D

17. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

The micro date is worthy of pursuit indeed, I'm wanting a better quality specimen than the one I own... Yennus had a great one at the last Sydney meet that got sniped from me :( but you can't win em all eh!

I agree the numbers are staggering, even when you think of 10,000 mintage when you look on a global scale. It's not a long stretch to see the potential market increasing many times over the next 5-10 years.

18. Catseye

Catseye New Member

Can I get a variety determination on this '95 please.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. madmuley

madmuley New Member

That 1995 is a Small Twig Large Date Variety. You can tell this by drawing lines straight down from the stairs and noticing that the #1 does not fit inside the stairs as it does on the Small Twig Small Date or MicroDate panda.

20. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Neither are Panda buyers :eek: