Why so difficult?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by charlief1, Feb 8, 2013.

1. charlief1

charlief1 New Member

Hi, im in the market for some silver 10-20kg, for my superfund. Been getting various quotes/responses from dealers. Some deliver, some dont etc. Some dont care to respond.
    It seems like a pretty hard process, I give you money, you send me silver.
    Also. Whats with ID requirements etc? Its nothing to do with the Gov, as it varies from place to place.

Any recommendations for someone who delivers insured and is easy to deal with? Looking for around 10kgs of half kilo bars, maybe 10 ounce bars depending on price (I like smaller for liquidity) and I also want to buy 10kgs of 66 50's. Ill take my chance if this doesnt meet regulations, I know people on here are doing the same. In any case its not the dealers responsibility to police.
    Thanks

2. PeeZapp

PeeZapp Member Silver Stacker

All of the site sponsor are good, I have done a fair bit of business with bullion bourse and they are always awesome to deal with. otherwise Ainslie bullion in brisbane are good too you could also always just buy from the perth mint they have good prices and will definitely have enough physical to supply you quickly.

3. charlief1

charlief1 New Member

Thanks mate, Ainsle have been the best so far as well. Will drop a line to BB.

4. Steve19800

Steve19800 New Member

Hello all,

This is my first post. I search the website and found this thread. I have been considering buy precious metal too. Some said Perth mint is a good one but what is your opinion? Are they offer quality and service, easy to deal with? I've sent email to them twice but heard nothing from them, is this normal?

Apart from Perth mint is there any other good dealer out there? Good means good price, fast service, quality and easy to deal with? Aurora et luna also sell bullion but I believe their gold and silver bar are more expensive with less choices? Thanks a lot.

5. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome
    Use the search feature
    All your questions have been asked & answered 0000000;s of time
    It all depends what state your in ;)

6. Steve19800

Steve19800 New Member

Hello spannermonkey,

Thanks for your reply.
    I'm in Melbourne, Victoria. I put perth mint in the search box, hoping for some reviews but this thread came out, in fact it seems there is very limited review about PM, even on google. No doubt it is internationally recognised company for more than 200 years but reviews are extremely rare, it's a bit odd. Or am I missing something? I know there are numbers of gold dealers but how can I be sure which one is good? Thanks.

7. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

If your in Melbourne, goldstackers are good, I think they have very fair prices and they have a secure office with friendly staff where you can walk in and make purchases

8. spannermonkey

If they are here they are good traders ;)
    In Melbourne Goldstackers & W.Davis are my picks for bullion ;)
    Don't waste your time buying for the Mint direct
    http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-880-buying-silver-in-australia.html

9. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

I'd suggest talking to goldstackers for both of you.

That said, most of the dealers who advertise on here are worth a shout to.

In Bne, Ainslie pretty much have the market for f2f but there's also City Gold at Mt Gravatt

10. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

Dont over look an allocated account at the perth mint or ABC bullion. Perfectly inside guidlines for a SMSF and no hassles with postage and they can isure for you

Make sure its allocated though other wise you are just holding a paper claim, which is the whole reason everyone is allocating or taking delivery.

11. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

ID requirements for SMSF are very clearly spelt out in the AUSTRAC regulations, and unlike personal purchases where there is dealer discretion whether to request ID for sales under $5000, correctly identifying a SMSF as a valid fund (including electronic validation of details like the ABN of the fund etc) is compulsory for any size transaction. There should be very little difference between dealers in terms of what is requested for SMSF identification.

12. Steve19800

Steve19800 New Member

Thanks guys for the fast response.
    Is there any reason why we prefer other dealer instead of Perth Mint?

I think these days there are many fake gold bars and other fake precious metal in the market compare to the old days, should we concern about this? Are dealers in Melbourne particularly and in Australia generally are immune from conterfeited precious metal?

13. Steve19800

Steve19800 New Member

And when you buy a gold or a silver. Is the company name stamped on the bar for example somewhat important? I know gold is gold. But some people are really looking for a certain silver coins or from a particular company rather than the other, is there any reason for this? Thanks.

14. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Are you suggesting that if you buy gold or silver from a dealer in Australia you will be sold fakes?

15. MassiveOni

MassiveOni Member

for my smsf i get all of my silver from bullion bourse, i just picked up 1000 oz's this afternoon, 100% professional, bb is highly recommended

16. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

I don't think he's suggesting, I just think he's worried and doesn't know how things work

17. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

more to the point can you say that there is 100% chance that you wont be?
    genuine question btw as i am also worried about spending a large amount on something that may be worthless hence why i stick to small things like round 50s. less loss at any given time

18. spannermonkey

Once you have handled some bullion , you soon realise what is real & what is not ;)
    Do you really think dealers in general would handle fakes knowingly :rolleyes:
    And if you are still paranoid about receiving fakes from dealers

Maybe you shouldn't be in the bullion game :D

19. Steve19800

Steve19800 New Member

Well, just like everything else there is always risk in everything but we don't choose to finish our life :)

Counterfeited gold and silver bars are becoming popular now, sometimes it is hard to recognise it even for the expert. How do you pick the genuine metal? Do you just trust them or there is any reason you buy from a dealer? Any thought would be appreciated.

@spannermonkey
    How do you eventually recognise some are real and some are not? You experienced it before?

20. Steve19800

Steve19800 New Member

Thanks for your recommendation.
    But do you think goldstackers prices for silver bar is a bit high? I notice Perth mint gold/silver bar prices are updated daily but not goldstackers? Am I missing something? Thanks.