Any SS members got NBN

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by errol43, Feb 3, 2013.

1. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

It looks like NBN will be coming to my area in 2014. Politics permitting. :)

Are any SS members connected now to the NBN and what is their opinion?

Looking at current rates, it looks to be comparable cost wise to what I'm paying at the moment..Landline telephone + Internet.

Looking forward to comments from any SS members already using NBN.

Regards Errol 43

2. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not NBN.

But just stated up with IInet.
    Went the combo deal.
    $99 per month.
    Includes landline with free local & interstate calls.
    200 gig broadband.

Good luck with the hunt.

3. Loxmyf

Loxmyf Member

While not a stacker, my brother in-law has NBN. He got a deal that he only pays $5/month more than his old ADSL2 connection, and gets 100Mbit down, 40Mbit up. (Don't ask me the final figures, I don't remember them)

He's a digital retoucher, so being able to move large files around fast will mean no more transporting his hard drive between work and home and clients offices, and the potential security issues should he lose that drive.

4. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm in a new subdivision that has an NBN cable running past my front door.

Telstra isn't allowed to access it to privide services.

The other carriers haven't mapped it into their network.

So I'm in a brand new house with no landline phone or internet access.

Screw the NBN...and Stephen Conroy....and the horse he rode in on.

5. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Our phone is a sub branch and hence prone to dropping out. We qualified for the free satellite which is the NBN apparently. The wife did it all as hate that stuff. Anyway, satellites are slow so no biggie in my situation.

6. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Contact the Telecommunications Ombudsman.

PS,

DO NOT accept the mobile phone, you forfeit all rights to compo.

7. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

A friend has NBN, but they're out int he middle of no-where. When I compare what they have to what I pay for in Sydney, I prefer what I pay for.

8. registered nutcase

registered nutcase New Member

My friends have it in West End in Brissy, It is fast, reliable and comparitable in price. Having downloaded a few gig worth of things I would highly recommend it espically compared to ADSL2+. If you have a proper fast connection it is black and white difference in avarage speed

9. C.H.

C.H. Active Member Silver Stacker

Brand new decreed monopoly. How nice! Wait till there is no competition left and they raise the prices or lower the quality of service (slow international speeds anyone?).
    I'd rather have dozen competing "slow" ADSL2+ providers than one "fast" monopoly.

Anyway it's white elephant at the moment and has a big chance of being torn down by the new government.

10. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How many MB per second download speeds are they getting?

11. MetalMensch

MetalMensch Member Silver Stacker

My part of the Central Coast is slated for work in 2014 from what the infrastructure survey team told me last week.

12. KMGeneral

KMGeneral Member

You do know that these "competing" providers all use telstra as the last mile (i.e. from the exchange to your house), and that's what the NBN is replacing... right? And that the NBN is wholesale only as opposed to Telstra who both wholesale and retail the same lines and thus has a conflict of interest.

13. C.H.

C.H. Active Member Silver Stacker

Yes I know they use Telstra last mile and it's pretty bad, because Tesltra is a monopoly for the last line.
    So the wise decision was made to replace one government created and privatised monopoly with a brand new government created monopoly.
    To make sure it's a proper monopoly no competition clause has been legislated.
    Do you know that Telstra and Optus must remove their HCF (cable) network in the areas covered by NBN and get paid for doing this?
    Do you think it's a good idea?

I'm all for fibre and fast internet access, just against government created monopolies using huge amounts of taxpayers monies.
    All what NBN is doing can and is provided by private companies there it is economically viable.

As to providing fibre to whoop whoop it shouldn't be done at the expense of billions of dollars.

P.S. there is another forum called whirlpool where it was done to death and there are still 2 or more opposing camps.

14. Fykus

Fykus Member Silver Stacker

since i live between two bigger towns it means i get the shit end of the stick with the stupid wireless thing, which is a bit useless for playing games online due to ping from satelite broadband apparently.

looks like im stuck with 5mbps adsl2.
    sigh

15. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The last mile is a natural monopoly. Either the government operates it as a stand-alone business that can only sell the service to wholesale customers or a private company operates it and they get clobbered with regulations to stop them ripping people off. That's exactly what happened with Telstra.

Private companies shouldn't be put in that position. They're just not suited to the role of owning and operating last mile services and we shouldn't pretend they are. Their entire structure is based around maximising profit (which is fine) but in a monopoly position they either gouge consumers and kill competition or we cripple them so they can't operate the way they were designed to (neither of which is fine at all).

They agreed to remove their non-upgradable HFC cable because they've been offered money to. It's a business decision on their part: they get to trade in their old, obsolete HFC and copper and lease brand new fiber instead.

Plenty of businesses do the same thing all the time with cars, phones, PCs, servers, earth moving equipment and just about any other asset you can think of.

Private companies can't and won't build the NBN.

We've been in almost exactly the same situation before: we let both Telstra and Optus have a crack at rolling out cable and they never got out of the cities because it simply wasn't profitable for them. Telstra wasn't a private company when the original copper network was built and they're not even maintaining it properly now because maintenance costs detract from their profits.

The NBN is a big piece of infrastructure and the government is the only party with both enough cash to fund its construction and enough tolerance for an ultimate return lower than what a private operator would find acceptable. In the long run, the government will make a small profit from the NBN of about 7%. A private operator wouldn't touch such a big project with such a small return.

It isn't.

The network engineers who designed the NBN said themselves that 100% fiber wasn't cost effective. Rural and regional areas will be covered either by fixed wireless or satellite.

16. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

i'm on fibre
    108mbps down ~38 up ( supposed to be 100/40)
    $110 for 1 TB - 500gb peak, 500 offpeak, includes phone rental

was paying $120 before for ADSL2 200gb, including phone rental

Can't complain really...FOr me its great, download soooo fast, don;t have to really wait to watch what I want now.

17. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Now you have to decide..Do you want model red or blue???? :)

Regards Errol 43

18. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The ironic thing is you're paying for his NBN.

19. SilverBrumby

SilverBrumby Member Silver Stacker

I am stuck out past the last mile. I have NBN satellite. I pay $60 for 60 GB/month. This is good. I used to only get 20GB for $69.95. I wish I could get ADSL2+. NBN satellite is better than plain old satellite.

20. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm with you silverbrumby. We are on the max GB we can get but still have maxed it out the last 2months