$20,000 gold stolen/break and enter - Sydney

Discussion in 'Gold' started by AngloSaxon, Feb 4, 2013.

1. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

I was at court today for work. I was sitting in the waiting area while I waited for clients' matter, near the criminal court matters lounge. Two groups of Police were sitting close by.

Wasn't trying to overhear but they were comparing situations between their two command areas. The topic of break and enters came up and one Constable spoke about someone in his area having the safe in his garage being broken into. The person lost $20,000 gold bullion. It wasn't a rich area (I won't name it) but they all then went on to compare "out of control kids" in many areas and local areas of housing commission.

The gold talk piqued my interest and I asked what sort of gold. He didn't know, he wasn't the investigator. But he did say that he didn't know it was legal to store/own gold yourself. He thought banks should be made to hold it and wasn't even aware you can freely buy gold. He'd never heard of precious metal dealers. Well we can't all be stackers and in the know can we! I ended my question/conversation there.

But I feel sorry for whoever it was that lost their gold. I wonder if it was a Bunnings keypad safe!

Not a lot to say, didn't find an existing Topic that suited this so thought I'd start another one.

2. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Some supposed "robberies" are in fact insurance jobs so many insurance companies now exclude PM's from insurance policies although you can usually insure a coin collection as a specific item in your policy.

3. bron suchecki

bron suchecki Active Member Silver Stacker

Police not aware you can freely buy PMs and hold them - we are in a bubble NOT.

4. Syd888

Syd888 New Member

My thoughts exactly. On the other hand, if government wants to meddle with your private gold, there will be no resistance from police (either silent or open) to carry such orders.

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Still waiting to hear a decent reason as to why there's any basis whatsoever for gold confiscation in this era of global fiat.

If they wanted to confiscate wealth created by precious metals ownership, they would tax it. Oh wait, CGT - there's already one.

Seizing every ounce of privately held gold in Australia would achieve what?

There's SO much more low-hanging fruit for fluffing government coffers before you need to stick your hands into that thorn bush.

Be alert, but not alarmed.

6. Syd888

Syd888 New Member

There is no rational reason for gold confiscation whatsoever. I agree with you 100%. However, in the time of political turmoil and economic troubles governments like to show general public that they're in control and doing something. So gov't may launch a crackdown on "speculators" and "hoarders", who "destabilise the financial safety" of decent working people. You just never know.

7. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

it is much easier to just throw a person in jail without trial.

you got gold, you go to jail, its that simple...no trial no jury...just imprison a person.

8. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well the whole legal system has been heading that way for decades. They removed civil jury trials sometime during the 1980s. It's only a matter of time before they remove criminal jury trials. The judges will get a real power trip then.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvJiYrRcfQo[/youtube]

9. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not meaning to bash the poor copper's while they're down...but I wouldn't put too much weight behind the opinion of someone that would choose to do that job for the pay they get. Doesn't exactly bode well for their personal decision making abilities nor their perception of the world about them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hella-greatful for the service they provide to the community, but wearing that uniform kinda telegraphs the wearer doesn't think like everyone else. That constable's opinion on gold is one such example and should best be ignored.

10. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

Each to their own.

I truly believe *it would be* the greatest job in the world and *I imagine* I would find myself looking forward to returning to work during holidays.

Cruising around with mates going attending to calls for help and assistance, trying to catch people breaking into houses and doing the wrong thing *would be* extremely rewarding! Easy comparison in my opinion, I find it harder to understand someone who would sit at a desk for 8 hours a day or work a factory line!

11. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You forgot to put the sarcasm smiley in.

12. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

13. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I dunnoh. Everyone you meet is having one of the worst days of their life. Working with the scum of society. The villians you spend all your energy taking off the streets get let go by the courts and thumb their noses at you as they walk free...

too frustrating :(

14. Redfawn

Redfawn New Member

Isn't it strange when the lawyers get the guilty off the hook for their crimes?... Often at the public purses expenses, which is out of your pocket and mine.... That these non achievers and career criminals continually suck the good will out of our sense of fairplay for all!

We can all invent a sad story as to why a habitual thief missed out on a decent upbringing and still wants a fair slice of your cake... Never worked a day of his life.

These charlatans, the Lawyers go onto become YOUR politicians. They know how to tell lies and you just suck them up like soda pop or Coke or creme soda.

No wonder politics is F....d!

15. GBN

GBN Member

Golden.

16. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

What really worries me about the information the Policeman was divulging is this...

He didnt know that it was legal to own and store gold on your own property, he believed it was only allowed to be stored in banks....

Implication: If you are found with gold bullion on your person, it may be assumed you are in breach of the law in some fashion. IE assuming you may be a drug dealer or a tax cheat/black market merchant. So this particular cop, if he searched you and found the gold you were f2f selling to another SS member might hold you on suspicion of some crime.

Thats scary!

In America some of the rumblings is that one of the marks of a terrorist is someone who advocates gold ownership.

17. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

No don't draw your mind to that interpretation. When I said he didn't know it was legal to own gold that's in a sense of when he found out about the proceeds of the robbery.

You'd hope that if a usual suspect was found with gold there would be questions about how they came across it (eg burglary), but if someone with no record was just transporting or selling their gold common sense would prevail.

18. GBN

GBN Member

I've never found common sense to be to common, x10 for people who get kicks from being in a position of authority.

19. Redfawn

Redfawn New Member

Quote:"In America some of the rumblings is that one of the marks of a terrorist is someone who advocates gold ownership."

No surprises there...
    They need believers in the fiat system to keep it going.
    When the former suckers awaken to the con job and pull out. Then the rot starts to set in. With who is left.