BoJ 2% inflation target.

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Silverthorn, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

2% inflation target. gotta have that inflation.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ba...et-2013-01-21-239186?link=MW_home_latest_news

2. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

According to the wonks, consumer prices going up is a good thing. Consumer prices going down (i.e. deflation) is a horrendous, scary, SHTF thing that must be avoided at all costs. What the MSM guys don't ask is "Good for who?"

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I was checking Wikipedia and saw Hong Kong had a deflation period up till 2004.

I was living in Hong Kong from approximately 98-03 and while it was true the economy was shitty during 98 & start of 99 it all seemed to be business as usual after that to me up until SARS in 2003.

In fact, I probably heard less complaining about the economy back then than I do now with rampant inflation (HKD pegged to USD) and extreme prices of day to day goods (due to inflation & bulk Chinese demand).

4. clubman

clubman Member

Technology, media and social media are so well developed in HK, they decide what the public will hear and act.

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

^ I have no idea what you're talking about.

Who is "they"?

If by "they" you mean the Chinese government then you are horribly mistaken.

There has never been a stronger anti-China movement in Hong Kong than the past 5-10 years.

6. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Fish are you still telling stories about the economy in HK when you were 11 years old ? 98 to 03 from the age of 11 to 16 you must have been the smartest most economically savvy child in the world :p:

7. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

well if you think the FED open ended asset purchase program of $40B per month was a lot of money printing, then you will be impressed by the BOJ's money printing plans for next year of $137B per month!

Print baby, print!

Now, I wonder what Glenn Stevens will do with Australian interest rates? :lol:

Australian housing to become even more affordable shortly with cheaper loans soon? :lol: Affordable, cheap loans. :lol:

Man, this world is truly going nuts, seriously. :|

8. Agauholic

Agauholic New Member

bizarro hey.... what does come after full-retard? :/

9. Henry Wartooth

Henry Wartooth New Member

$137 bilion a month? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh, and how's Fukushima going? Still an gaping wound spewing radiation I see.

10. Henry Wartooth

Henry Wartooth New Member

It's easier to look on the bright side of life when it's glowing.

11. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Yes, the nuclear option seems to be a consistent theme in Japan these days, from Fukushima to crazy money printing. Now what are the names of those Islands they are disputing with China? I'm guessing being careful is not top of mind for the government of Japan anymore.

But speaking of how other central banks may react to this rediculous money printing situation, we have BOE diving in head first anouncing they will do what it takes to "rebalance" their currency.

Which leaves Germany, the great export competitor to Japan. What may they do to "rebalance" the competitiveness of their exports against this Japanese develuation by money printing strategy?

Hang on a minute? We have the US, UK, Japan & Germany in antagonistic postures, with Russia and China paying close attention. Now I'm no real student of history, but where is this looking like leading...