Question regarding packaging of coin

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Muckdiver, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Muckdiver

Muckdiver New Member

Good Evening from the U.S.,

I recently acquired a 1989 Maple Leaf. It is currently in it's original packaging from the mint. I wanted to place it in an air-tite case. Should I take it out of it's original packaging and place it in an air-tite or should I leave it in the original wrapper like packaging?

What's the consensus?

Thank you.

2. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi Muckdiver, what exactly do you mean by original packaging? Do you mean the tubes?

Maple is a bullion coin, which means it's value rely on the spot price of silver. Some people would say there is no need to spend extra $ to protect them, but some would say it is not nice to see the coin tarnished/blemish/scratch.

If you prefer to have your coin in a good nick, then I would suggest to move them into capsules. If you have 25 Maple, and I would say it is fine lo leave it in its tubes.

3. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^
    +1

I personally like them encapsulated. You can buy the lighthouse very cheap at ebay US.

4. Muckdiver

Muckdiver New Member

To clarify, the coin when purchased was in a plastic film like material. It was probably part of a sheet that came from the mint. I ended up just removing it and placing it in an air-tite capsule. I was just wondering what is the preferred method for keeping it.

5. silversmith

silversmith New Member

For Maples, it's your personal preference. If you intend on stacking a bunch of them, then airtites are the way to go-easier to store and protect great. It's a bullion coin so transfering them to an airtite doesn't really affect the value. If you plan on selling it, some buyers may prefer the original packagine, most probably wouldn't care.

6. Zman

Zman Member

They typically sell for a little bit more if they are still in the original mint mylar sheets. Even for the bullion coins.