Important Attributes to look for in Morgan's, Peace, Old Coins?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by USSSAlabama, Jan 9, 2013.

1. USSSAlabama

USSSAlabama New Member

Hey Everyone,

Hope you're all doing well..After doing some extensive research the past few days I think I am leaning toward wanting to use my local vendor for Older coins with 90% Silver (Morgan/Peace Dollars, Old Quarters and Dimes). I am curious as into what is the most important thing to consider when screening these older coins? I have a friend who told me if you can't read the date on the coin it's practically worthless for all numismatic purposes (Seems pretty standard). Are there any other attributes that make some of these coins superior to their counterparts?

I am also wanting to collect bullion but I figure after paying the premium + taxes at a coin store for these items I'd be better suited getting them online when certain vendors are running specials on free shipping and such?

Does anyone have any input to add to this?

Thanks!

2. lukemarshall

lukemarshall Member Silver Stacker

Nothing wrong with a little 90% junk.

You will know if its junk, it will be well circulated... Now if you ever see somewhat uncirculated 90% for a small premium , pick it up.

Sometime you can get lucky and find a rarity...

*Edit

My guess is that some of the blokes that hang around here would mainly be dealing with 80% half dollars... or decimal coins.....

By the way, the only fake coin that I have ever gotten from EBAY was a 1937 Aussie Crown, light as feather it was....

3. Byron

Byron Guest

Have you got a real Crown? How does the Crown compare with Morgan/Peace dollars in terms of heft/feel in the hand?

I really like your silver dollars, they have real character and a sense of history.

You guys are lucky that it is still possible (although getting rarer) to find silver amongst your everyday change. The last silver coins to be found by accident in circulation here (pre-decimal schillings and round 50 cents), dried up by the mid 70s.

4. 1diracing

1diracing New Member

I know it is nothing fancy, but I have a coin dealer in my town that gets mint state 1964 Kennedy half dollars. I mean these are in perfect condition, I try to buy all of the ones he has. As of lately he is having a hard time getting much .999 silver bullion instock, Chicago area.
    Cheers