2013 Britannia's

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by mr-dead, Oct 24, 2012.

1. picturefun

picturefun Member

They should not blame on 0.999 silver content for bad quality. There are many .999 silver coins from other Mints, like ASE, Panda, to name two, none of them have such problem.

Although Philharmonic and Canadian maple sometimes have milky spots

2. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

The Royal Mint has issued 999 silver previously e.g Rose and these are not scuffed or pitted. I guess they set up a production rig and once the button has been pressed, many thousands of coins come spewing out. As they are bullion, perhaps no-one really cares at the Mint.
    All my 2013 Britannias have been returned and I have been waiting well over a month for replacements. Clearly there is a serious production problem and I am hoping there will be a solution soon or I will be requesting a refund rather than replacements.
    Anyone receiving 2013 Brits is advised to examine them and just because they are shipped in a flimsy square blister pack doesn't mean they are damage free - this forum shows BUNC with scuffs and reeded indentations.

3. au1pt2rh3pd4ag5

au1pt2rh3pd4ag5 New Member

I need to get my lighting sorted before posting a few pictures, but I did receive my Britannias and my Silver MS69 has no scuffs that I can find. No issues with the gold one either.

4. dcau1

dcau1 New Member

5. au1pt2rh3pd4ag5

au1pt2rh3pd4ag5 New Member

Thanks dcau1, very crisp/clear HD video. I left you a video response to show your the one I have, not quite as clear through the PCGS slab, but I'm hoping it shows well enough that the slabbed Britannias appear to have escaped the scuffs/scrapes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZzApd20S_c[/youtube]

6. Photonaware

If indeed anyone has a good quality 2013 Britannia this might become numismatic as relatively rare. Most still appear scuffed or reeded especially on the side depicting Her Majesty. Ironic that they are supplied in protective plastic cells in sheets. Keeps them clean but some of the deep pits and rubs suggests the only QC is size and weight. Has the production run its course so there is no chance to see any improvement ? I was hoping to hear better news that the Mint has finally woken up to its problems and returned to producing beautiful coins as in the past.

7. silverybay

silverybay New Member

I will stick with the earlier Britannia. This is the Proof version followed by the BU version.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Source:http://mysilvercoins.blogspot.sg/

8. Photonaware

Beautiful pictures of older Brits. but the issue remains live with the crap quality of the new 2013 coins. I have abandoned all attempts to obtain decent scuff free Brits so maybe there are very few in circulation. Who knows if new coins will be minted ?

9. GreyGhost

GreyGhost New Member

Even more surprising it the complete lack of interest in this issues outside of buyers.

Blogs and dealers has reacted with a collective yawn, letting the RM off the hook and buyers holding the bag.

10. Photonaware

I sent mine back for a full refund.
    The RM doesn't even acknowledge they have a big problem and don't seem to give a sh*t which is a slap in the face for traditional British craftsmanship.

11. wushangkehan

wushangkehan New Member

The scuffed marked 2013 brits should be sold without higher premium than the those perfect 2013 brits.
    At least for Bullion investor , they can still get their hands on Brits for investment in Bullion value without paying too much premium

12. silversmith

silversmith New Member

I just received my 2013 Britannia and I'm very disappointed. It has the scuff marks on the cheeks and the reed indentions in the field of the obverse side. Yes, it's still in the original package. They had the same problem years back with the '02, 04 & 07's.

Why don't they use the hard airtite capsules like the Perth mint? How can the quality control be so bad? Ugh!

I'll be sending it back and searching for a decent one. Anyone know of a US supplier that hasn't had issues? or is it just a crap shoot trying to get a decent one?

13. Photonaware

Hard capsules would be nice but if the Royal Mint puts sh*t coins in its wrappers then it's sh*t coins you receive.
    These scuffs and reeded pits are caused by unacceptably poor manufacturing and not flimsy packaging.
    I noticed today, some bullion sellers are waiting on deliveries.
    Maybe there is hope that someone in the Mint has woken up and fixed their probems.
    Wait and see !

14. Photonaware

Another coin dealer specifically referring to the crap production at the Royal Mint.
    He must have received some of the better ones to state "minor marks" though.

Ebay item 400373117579

" .. 2013 SILVER 2/1oz. BRITANNIA SEALED UNC/AUNC
    Item condition:New
    "Minor marks, caused by low minting standards." ...

" .. THIS YEARS COINS ARE STILL ROYAL MINT SEALED, HOWEVER THE MINTING STANDARDS ARE NOT TO THE USUAL HIGH QUALITY EXPECTED FROM THE MINT. "

15. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

That's disgusting, peoples heads should roll!!! I'm thinking of buying one anyway, if it's really that bad then it can be my play coin(not in mint packaging or capsul)

16. Silver Bullion Boy

Silver Bullion Boy New Member

Terrible quality control, the gold 2013 1oz Britannia I had is in perfect condition. Something must be needing changed out on their silver minting process for these coins as its doing allot of damage. I would not purchase any of these coins in this condition!

17. libertadiac

libertadiac Member Silver Stacker

I purchased one last year which arrived in mint plastic with very minor scratches. 2 purchased last week arrived in a flip ( so presumably in tube to dealer as was originally meant to be) and appear damage free.
    They look slightly different, as though they have new dies. My ability to photograph coins is limited, but if it shows on scan I'll post pics..

18. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So any follow up on rhis, Photonware?
    Any new coins scratch-free beimg struck by RM?

19. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

I put one in my last order from bullion bourse now the wait begins, if it's nice it goes in the stack, if not it'll be my new card protector

20. bretto

bretto Active Member

What condition was the coin in?