Toyota phasing out Landcruiser 70 Series

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by Clawhammer, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Despite it being Australia's favourite 4x4 and sales being up 40% Toyota Oz conceeds that within 5 years the model will probably have 'petered out'.

Since the introduction of the new Ford Ranger, BHP Biliton has mandated a 5-star ANCAP rating for all vehicles on it's worksites. The other manufacturers are rushing to upgrade their competing models with Electronic Stability Control and Side Curtain Airbags to meet 5-star rating. Toyota has decided to do this for their Hilux but won't for the Landcruiser. Toyota Aust. representative Greg Gardener admitted that if they had seen this move coming they would've never bothered developing the recently made available twin cab option for the 'Cruiser'.

ABS will be the last upgrade.

I think this is ludicrous. Maybe I should buy one of these before they're gone. I've seen plenty running past 650,000kms...good investment?

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/201...andcruiser/toyota-to-kill-off-70-series-31309

2. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

No but a good nissan would be :p:

Ive told the story of my mate who owns a 4X4 wreckers who stopped buying nissans so frequently because he only sells body panels & interior parts mostly & cant sell any big dollar items like engines gearboxes transfer cases etc because they dont fail ;

He still buys toyotas :lol: The thing with seeing a lot of klms on the odometer is you dont know how many parts broke or wore out to get there .

His take on it is toyotas are fine until you use them for real offroad then they break .

He prefers nissans & mitsubishi for longevity & all round use toyotas for the "city cowboys" as he calls them . His shop is in the country where they get used hard

3. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Was up at a customer's mine site 2 week ago (not BHP) they were all getting around in VW Amaroks. They said this was to do with the 5-star safety requirement on the site.

4. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

Greg Gardiner must not have seen much coming in recent years...... Building that twin cab on the short wheel base version was always going to fail. Toyota have been resting on their name for a very long time in the 4x4 department with over priced cars that offer very little other than tow capacity in the cruiser range.

The second Ford/Mazda/Holden started building dual cabs in the high 3-3.5t tow capacity range it was always going to kill off the Hilux(couldn't pull the skin off a day old custard) and outsell the cruiser utes due to value for money.

As for reno's Nissan comments, try telling that to the hundreds of 3L turbo diesel patrol owners who had engines detonate on them with Nissan not wanting to know them.

5. steve.rsa

steve.rsa Member Silver Stacker

And the 4.0 Navara clutch issue.... 20,000-40,000 km and its gone is not a good indicator of reliability

6. Clawhammer

have to agree with the Nissan Patrol engine comment driven a few & they're bloody tough...but a have seen a few with 'popped' motors. Doesn't matter though... they'll soon be discontinued too.

I've been checking out the new cruisers & am finding it hard to justify the outlay. Apart from the turbo V8 Diesel (which from all accounts still needs an exhaust & chip upgrade to get it moving) its still the rough old truck I hated 99.9% of the time I was on Gravel & Tar...& loving the $#!T out of it for getting me home when everyone else was parked by the roadside in floodwaters.

The dual cab (with its short tray) is hella-practical for me... but its as ugly as sin.

7. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

SI Military hummer should do the job :D

8. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

What about the Mitsi L200 - it's been the workhorse of UK tradies for years?

Could be a lot worse, you could own a Land Rover Discovery, or god forbid... a Freelander... :eek:

Worst cars going, back home we used to laugh at people who turned up to the shoot to go 'off roading' in either of them.

You can't knock a dual cab LR Defender in my opinion - granted they wont go over 80 without rattling the fillings out of your teeth but they climb, and I think their hardiness and reliability speaks for itself! :D

9. Clawhammer

I've learned my lesson... will never own another Mitsu again. Apart from their Canter truck which I didn't own... every other one has been a fragile dog.

Agreed and great on fuel too, but they're too slow on the highway. Not that the tojo's are spring hares...but it's hard to compete with a turbo V8, plus there's the spare parts availability.

Just been checking out a local car yard to compare the two... the ute looks better...but it sure would be nice to throw a bag over the back of the seat. It's be even nicer if that seat was more comfortable than a rock :/
    [​IMG][​IMG]

here's the 'kicker' but :(
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. renovator

[​IMG]

Heres my L200 its the asian version turbo deisel was only 16K . only $1500 cheaper than a ching fong (great wall )non turbo or $100 difference for a turbo .

When i was building i was putting 25X40kg bags of cement & it would still pull & stop great a bit light on the steering though

There really wasnt too much thinking about it .....ching fong or mitsubishi lol

They are called triton in oz RD . I dont think they sell this model in oz only the trayback not the styleside

11. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Onya reno - I used to use mine to pull a trailer when landscaping/tree-felling.

Worked a treat - never got it bogged once.

It was replacement for a Vauxhall/Holden/Opel Frontera - bogged ever single time I took it on to my field to dump. Ridiculous! :D

12. Clawhammer

I could bog a hovercraft :(

If the mines won't be taking these, it might be prudent to wait until the unwanted/overbought stock hits the dealers and get one a little cheape...er...less expensive.

13. renovator

bog a hovercraft :lol: I know what you mean its called getting your ambitions mixed up with the vehicles capabilities .

I remember one saga when i got bogged in hot sand in a heat wave for about 5 hours until a cocky came along & pulled me out . The sand was that hot you couldnt touch it for anymore than a few seconds before swearing & making girl noises :lol:

Buy your house first you crazy human being thats a lot of equity your gonna spend there . :rolleyes:

14. Clawhammer

yeah... good advice reno... cheers.

15. Clawhammer

Just a quick update.

Been doing some research both online and in person.... Toyota's aint what they used to be.

The recurring and persistent problems across the 'Cruiser range both 70 & 200 series are being reported around the world. Quality of both product and after sales service have fallen through the floor.

I've been absolutely shocked by what I've read and heard. :(