Another new guy..how I got here

Discussion in 'Silver' started by silvertail_joe, Dec 19, 2012.

1. silvertail_joe

silvertail_joe New Member

Well I found this site last night and seen all the topics and info and decided I had to be part of this. Within the past year I've become insanely interested in buying silver. A couple years ago I bought 38 pre 64 quarters off a buddy for $100. Silver at that time was over $40 and I believe closer to $45. No doubt a great deal.
    My next move which was within the past year was to buy more. It is funny how I started by getting a good deal, than suddenly out of no where,a good time later, I honestly can't remember when and why, started buying like a mad man. After my original 38 quarters I went to a coin shop and bought 1 eagle and two rounds, had maybe another transaction like the previous than ordered 50 oz from Apmex. Next day silver dropped over a dollar!
    Originally I was buying nothing but .999 than switched to mostly pre 65 90%.
    Couple months ago went to an auction and spent I believe $500 on 100 silver quarters. At the time they were valued at $530. Good deal, wrong, because after paying, driving down the road, I found that they were not two gas of 50, they were infant two bags of 40. So, long story short auctioneer wouldn't do anything about it so my $30 profit turned out to be a $100 loss after being screwed out of 20 washing tons. Live and learn. People ask me if I've ever bought fake silver, my response is I don't believe so, but I've bought " imaginary silver"!
    My plan is to keep buying silver, going to start picking up more .999 and hold it for a long time. End game as some of you say, don't really have one, but believe the dollar is getting worthless and will continue to do so. Iam quite a frugal/ cheap guy, and the only reason I have boughten as much as I have is because I believe I'm trading paper Money for metal money.
    Any tips for a new guy are appreciated, I'm so ate up with it, I dream about it.

2. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

Read, read, and read. Dig deep into the guts of all the old threads. Plenty to learn and keep you busy for a long time.
    There are no stupid questions. Just don't ask what the price of silver is going to be tomorrow, next week, next month, or next year.

Welcome to the good ship SS. :)

P.S. Don't make the same mistake twice.

3. Rad Dood

Rad Dood Member

Welcome Silvertail. plenty of quality advice to be found on SS. If you havent done so already,Check out the perth mint website And www.bullionbourse.com .

4. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Hey Joe, welcome to SS. I'm also from the states..have been stacking a little over a year. I would advise you to buy more junk silver than pure silver, probably about a 70/30 ratio. It will get you the most silver for your fiat, but it seems you have that figued out :)

When it comes to pure bullion, I would only stack well known mints and coins..a few odds and ends here and there for your own collection is okay but most of your pure silver needs to be recognizable. ASEs are always a good idea, though can be more expensive. Private mints such as Englehard, Johnson Matthey, Silvertowne, Sunshine Mint or the Golden State Mint are my top 5 picks, I usually don't buy any other brands. www.providentmetals.com has a great deal on sunshine mint rounds, and low shipping costs. www.silvertowne.com sells .999 pure for less than $3 over spot and ships for free if you get certain bars. www.Monarchpreciousmetals.com is my pick for unique silver and 90% silver. eBay will also sometimes bring you great deals on 90% silver. You've officially caught the bug :)

5. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Do people in the Staes have a love affair with junk Silver?
    Hasn't rubbed off down here in Oz yet..Soz. yes it has rubbed off down here in Oz.
    Stick with your 9's mate you can't go much wrong.

REDBACK

6. Dustin

Dustin New Member

The reason I love junk silver is because of the lower premiums than pure silver...plus you're getting fractional coins. You can't find 1/2 oz pure silver coins anywhere for less than about $6 over spot, yet junk silver can be found sometimes for less than spot.

Though to be honest, if the premiums on pure silver and junk silver were the same, I wouldn't have any junk silver.

7. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Hey joe

8. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

Hello and welcome Joe : )

9. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

+1 for new guys... more the merrier on the silver bandwagon - phone a friend!

1for1

10. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sounds like you are in a manic phase, it will die down a bit and you will stop watching the spot price so often.

I have some junk silver in both US$ and Australian, can't beat it for price. Refiners will charge you extra because it is not pure silver but I don't know anyone who takes their silver to refiners anyway, far easier to just sell it to other silver bugs.

Do you ever find any silver in your change? Do you also collect copper cents? I would love to be able to pull something with intrinsic value from our change over here but other than the odd 50cent coin from 1966 or the occassional florin there is no chance.

11. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Hi and welcome .

12. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You are!

All the same, maybe SStkers needs a therapy sub-forum for the oldies to help the neophytes calm down

13. silvertail_joe

silvertail_joe New Member

I used to watch the spot price all day long, my obsession died down about two months ago, but its back and rolling strong. The only thing I've collected is silver, no copper, gold, or anything else. Wait, I collect ammo also! I've never found any silver in change, but I do look. Going to buy some this weekend. I buy the majority of my stuff at a local flea market. 90% sells under spot, 50 cents under per quarter, $1 under per half dollar. Don't mess with the Morgan's since the premiums are to high for me. I always tell people that I don't care what form silver is in, ( a swastika with pee wee Herman's face on it), or what country it comes from, if I can price and authenticate it, I'll buy it if the price is right!

14. Dustin

Dustin New Member

I have also been collecting pre-1982 pennies since I started stacking silver. Got about 1600 of them, it's not much but why not? I just take them out of my change every day..
    Also separate post-1982 pennies and nickels from 1946 on..the pennies have 97.5% zinc(worth about half a cent) and the U.S. is going to start phasing them out in 2013, same with nickels which are currently worth about 5 cents exactly in nickel/copper. You could go to a bank right now and get a few rolls of nickels as an investment with no risk, if nickel goes down you still have face value, but if nickel goes up you make a profit.

Have found a total of $0.50 in silver change, not so lucky there..

15. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Yes, those that have to ask what the price of silver will be, better just stay away from silver, and pick something else that they DO have a clue about.